IRON MAIDEN ALBUM REFERENDUM 2020: Results -> Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son wins!

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
This should be posted in the Your Maiden Blasphemy thread!
I still really like the song, it’s hard not to. The intro / outro is lush and cinematic, Bruce’s bridge is absolutely glorious, and it’s always a fun song to hear (and sing along to!). But at the same time, it feels like a retread of Hallowed, only with clunkier verses and a less interesting instrumental section. Again, I really like the song, but I’d place it at the bottom of the ‘80s epics. It’s competing against Phantom, Hallowed, Rime, Alexander, and Seventh Son after all, and all of those are prime examples of what makes Maiden so great. TTAL loses out against them, but it doesn’t say all that much since all six of these songs are pretty great.

I still really like the song, it’s hard not to. The intro / outro is lush and cinematic, Bruce’s bridge is absolutely glorious, and it’s always a fun song to hear (and sing along to!). But at the same time, it feels like a retread of Hallowed, only with clunkier verses and a less interesting instrumental section. Again, I really like the song, but I’d place it at the bottom of the ‘80s epics. It’s competing against Phantom, Hallowed, Rime, Alexander, and Seventh Son after all, and all of those are prime examples of what makes Maiden so great. TTAL loses out against them, but it doesn’t say all that much since all six of these songs are pretty great.
Fair enough. :)

And NOTB is (finally) on the way out!

Only on Maidenfans can an album with the band's best song (Hallowed), most well known song (Run to the Hills), all-time iconic song of the entire genre (title track), and song that apparently many people used to "procreate" to (Children of the Damned -- at least in Bruce's warped imagination) be rated eh, like 8th best. Shrug.

Only on Maidenfans can an album with the band's best song (Hallowed), most well known song (Run to the Hills), all-time iconic song of the entire genre (title track), and song that apparently many people used to "procreate" to (Children of the Damned -- at least in Bruce's warped imagination) be rated eh, like 8th best. Shrug.

It also has one of the worst songs in Maiden history and the worst chorus they ever recorded. Hence why the album games are so interesting. A couple of really bad tracks can bring the whole thing down.

yi1wT33.jpg

Top 16
The Number Of The Beast
09. Iron Maiden
10. The X Factor
11. The Final Frontier
12. Dance Of Death
13. No Prayer For The Dying
14. Killers
15. Fear Of The Dark
16. Virtual XI

Agree about Hallowed being somewhere in the Top Whatever

I'm not even sure whether RTTH is their most well-known song (isn't the title track or 2M2M played on the radio more?), but it's definitely overplayed. The chorus is soaring and catchy, but hearing it that many times over and over chews it out like a bubblegum.

Whether people "procreate" to Maiden is not my damn business (nor is it Bruce's for that matter), but CotD is a cool song, but definitely an overrated one. The "ballad with a heavy chorus" would be done better both before (Remember Tomorrow) and after (Revelations)

But "all-time iconic song of the entire genre (title track)" - no. Just no. It's one of the few Maiden songs that betrays a complete lack of melody or pretty much anything interesting apart from the opening riff showing some rhytmical delicacies. I don't understand how such a sludge became not only the title track to an already hit-or-miss album, but one of their most well-known and apparently best-beloved tracks. Really, I don't get it. At all.

Plus you get Gangland (not as melodyless, but certainly forgettable, one of the most "Maiden by numbers" tracks they have, along with Wildest Dreams, Gates of Tomorrow and New Frontier) and Invaders which just sounds... retarded (the running-up-and-down-the-stairs chorus just gets on my nerves). And 22 AA is not particularly bad, but a mess anyway.

The Prisoner and Hallowed are still awesome, though.

Last edited:
Back