IRON MAIDEN ALBUM REFERENDUM 2020: Results -> Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son wins!

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
Those that have voted for the self-titled debut-album, what makes it that you don't like it?
I really dig all their albums (for sure) but I remember when I got the debut in '86-'87 (or something like that) the songs and performances are fine but the production and soundwise it could have been better.

Those that have voted for the self-titled debut-album, what makes it that you don't like it?
Weaker songwriting, weaker production, lack of Adrian Smith. All of those things are very noticeable to me vs., for example, Killers, which I feel is the superior Di’anno-era album.

To me the debut is a bottom 3 Maiden record, only bettering the Blaze-era albums, and not by much.

Me too, the studio-album run from 1980 to 1988 (+LAD) is phenomenal, examplary and I think they are all just pristine.
NPFTD is started to show some weaker bits and no wonder since H wasn't no longer member of the band.
Same exact opinion here and I'll go even further: 7 albums and only two bad songs (Gangland and Quest For Fire). Everything else ranks between really good and exceptional.

Debut album > post-TXF albums

1 minute of the debut has more aggression, drive, energy, live impact, soul, guts, balls, magic, atmosphere, authenticity, originality and authority than those complete works combined.

The lack of Adrian (or anyone else) on the debut is completely irrelevant. Stratton added a lot of colour and the songwriting and performance resulted in about the strongest debut of all.

Last edited:
They have fun doing it. But it does not make the music better just for the sake of creation, recording or touring. They like playing new songs. Doing new things. Although... they are very slow. They rather repeat the same tour these days, ehh years.

But yeah save that post.

The debut album will still be still remembered well in the upcoming decades and recent work will decrease in popularity. Now still somewhat popular but the novelty will wear of.

Back