Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
There might be a lot of video footage overlapping with audio from that particular show. I've never seen a Maiden DVD with footage from just one show. Even the Download pro shots from last year have Berlin footage mixed into them. Examples:

Rock In Rio: audio: Rio, video: Rio, Buenos Aires and another concert
DOTR: audio: Dortmund, video: at least one other concert (look for Dave's cream strat during Wrathchild and CIPWM).
Flight 666: Every song contains a bit of footage from India. Notable when Jan is playing his Alpine white Strat, because it had 3 black pickups on the India show and soon after the middle one was switched with white Hot Rails.
En Vivo: audio: Chile, video: Chile, Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo (the excited guy) and Florida (Dave's LP axcess during Wicker Man).
Crikey, that's observant.

There might be a lot of video footage overlapping with audio from that particular show. I've never seen a Maiden DVD with footage from just one show. Even the Download pro shots from last year have Berlin footage mixed into them. Examples:

DOTR: audio: Dortmund, video: at least one other concert (look for Dave's cream strat during Wrathchild and CIPWM).
Flight 666: Every song contains a bit of footage from India. Notable when Jan is playing his Alpine white Strat, because it had 3 black pickups on the India show and soon after the middle one was switched with white Hot Rails.
En Vivo: audio: Chile, video: Chile, Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo (the excited guy) and Florida (Dave's LP axcess during Wicker Man).

That's impressive, mate. Do you think it's possible to make a list of this that is somewhat exhaustive?

I've never seen a Maiden DVD with footage from just one show
The four concerts featured on Early Days Pt1 (Rainbow, Hammersmith, Dortmund, Ruskin Arms) and Raising Hell - released officially, though not by the band itself- all come from one venue and night at a time. However, none of them are either regular or full concerts.

As somebody said earlier, Donington '92 would benefit from a stripped-down re-editing but it would possibly be too much work for too little commercial interest for it to happen.

En Vivo also has some video from the European gigs (you could clearly see The Talisman backdrop that was not used on the plane leg):

Steve certainly lacks some attention to detail when checking things. :lol:

Since all or most of the gigs that were released on live albums have been bootlegged, it would be interesting to see where there have been audio overdubs or the likes as well.

Since all or most of the gigs that were released on live albums have been bootlegged, it would be interesting to see where there have been audio overdubs or the likes as well.

I cannot think of any overdubs on post-reunion live releases, with the exception of the copy and paste job of Bruce's vocals in Rock in Rio done by Steve, and Janick's solo in one of the songs off Death in the Road coming from another performance (I seem to remember he could not play one of the solos at Dortmund, bu cannot remember which one!).

Clansman. There aren't fixes in terms of performance (like Priest in Japan), but Harris will copy-paste Bruce's vocals over places where Bruce left audience to sing. Why? He claims audience being out of tune or something like that.

I remember very clearly reading a long time ago that it is still audible on the 5.1 audio on the DVD, but I have no recollection of where I read that.

Which parts of each song there are vocals overdubs in RiR? I had the VHS recorded live from the Brazilian broadcast, but I think I lost it.
There are a lot. The Wicker Man, The Clansman, Fear of the Dark, Run to the Hills, Brave New World (notice that Bruce sings "a brave new world" four times in a row in the second chorus). Probably even more.

There are a lot. The Wicker Man, The Clansman, Fear of the Dark, Run to the Hills, Brave New World (notice that Bruce sings "a brave new world" four times in a row in the second chorus). Probably even more.

The "Brave New World" one caused a bit of controversy on the old FC forum back in the day, as people spotted that early on, maybe even on previews, and accused Bruce of being a "liar" when he claimed there was no overdubs on the album, causing Steve to lose the rag and threaten to close down the forum.

Not true! That's Steve's (imo very stupid) copy pasting of Bruce lines when he let the audience sing. Bruce was *very* insisting that there are NO vocal overdubs on RiR. And I absolutely believe him in this regard.

That's what I meant people were accusing Bruce of being a liar, but Steve admitted that it was a copy and paste job and that people were out of order to accuse Bruce of lying.

Steve:
Let's get one thing straight. [IRON MAIDEN frontman] Bruce [Dickinson] is NOT a liar.

There are NO overdubs on this live album. While it was being mixed in New York by [producer] Kevin Shirley and myself, Bruce was in London to my knowledge, or wherever he was, it's not an issue except to say that he couldn't overdub anything if he wasn't there!

What HAS happened is that I made an executive decision to cut and paste with a computer to put back in, his LIVE on the night vocals into parts where he was getting the audience to sing on some choruses on some lines on their own. The reason I did this is because in the cold light of day it sounds better with him back in there because sometimes the audience were either out of time or not quite loud enough. So I simply cut out parts of his vocal on the line before and pasted it into the next line, which was possible because it was a repetitive part.

I find it amazing that people would question this band's integrity and indeed go as far as accuse someone of being a liar. Supposed fans like that we don't want, as far as I'm concerned we're better off without people like that. If you don't like what I've done with the album, don't buy it. Simple!
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/iron-maiden-s-steve-harris-there-are-no-overdubs-on-rock-in-rio/

So Steve Harris is a liar... Bruce was in New York in September 2001. But he was obtaining his 757 licence :p (he speaks about this in the Loudwire interview).

So Steve Harris is a liar... Bruce was in New York in September 2001. But he was obraining his 757 licence :p (he speaks about this in the Loudwire interview).

Bottom line is Bruce did not overdub anything.

Anyway, how do we know when Steve was mixing the album with Kevin?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back