Iron Lizzy

Onhell

Infinite Dreamer
Ok this is driving me nuts. I've recently purchased A LOT of 70's Hard Rock, among them Thin Lizzy. Not only are they great, but they have this one song, Dedication which if you listen to it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d48miCWd9xg should remind you of a certain someone.

That didn't surprise me at first sinc Lizzy came before our fellow Maiden, except this particular song was released in 1990! I can't place the Maiden song it reminds me of since I haven't gone through my cds at work, I have it stuck in my head and I can't for the life of me think of the Maiden song!

I can't connect it to any Maiden song, but the overall sound of it is quite Maiden-esqe. Not too far from the Somewhere in Time sound, I'd say - except the vocals, they are of course very different. Actually, when thinking it over - it reminds me a little about a certain b-side where a certain guitarist is doing vocals  :D

It sort of sounds smiler to Papa Roach's blood brothers and I think that they stole a riff from a maiden song but cant think of what song :bigsmile:....so we're back at square one

Edit:OH I remember now Infinite Dreams!

The main riff bears some resemblance to the main riff of Deja Vu... but really, the resemblance is not that great, and neither of the riffs is that original or complicated to suggest anything else than coincidence.

Great song, though! :)

THANKS! I knew I wasn't that far off when it kept reminding me of Somewhere in Time. I had to play a wedding yesterday where they wanted a lot of 70's rock. So as an excuse I went out and got some Kansas, America, Thin Lizzy and Led Zep, great stuff. I got Kudos for playing Queen's "Don't Stop me" :D The groom told me, "I have a bet with my now wife... Do you know who David Gilmore is?" Not missing a beat I say, "of course, Pink Floyd. A tougher question would have been if I knew Syd Barrett." It's so easy to impress lay people :p Fun show. 

according to a small research that I did the recording of the song took place in 1984
by Grand Slam -a Lynott's group

maybe the rest of the instruments have been re-recorded in 1990 -I don't know- but melody and voice date of 1984
...and yes;
there is a small trace of Deja Vu in the main riff, but what this song makes me really think of, is Ozzy's Crazy Train 

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=xTsvwBkVdKw

Thin Lizzy is one of the greatest rock bands ever.

And Maiden drank a lot in their fountain. Fortunately. Thin Lizzy's guitar duels and solos in 3rds are a huge influence to Murray & Smith.There's a box set of Thin Lizzy called Vagabonds, Kings, Warriors , Angels. That should be obligatory in every Maiden fan collection !

There's a version of Rosalie in a Maiden bootleg (don't know what, it's from mid 80s the guys also play ZZTOP's Tush) which is great and also Massacre in the Can I play with madness single.

Pay close attention to these songs and lots of Maiden guitar duels will come to your mind.

- Suicide
- Emerald (this one kicks heavy ass)
- Don't believe a word
- Soldier of Fortune
- Are you ready (here you will catch good parts of  Steve Harris bass playing !)

God bless Brian Robertson, Scott Gorham, Gary Moore and obviously the great Lynott ! What an influence Thin Lizzy is !!!!!

Cheers
Marcus

InfiniteDreamer said:
Thin Lizzy is one of the greatest rock bands ever.

And Maiden drank a lot in their fountain. Fortunately. Thin Lizzy's guitar duels and solos in 3rds are a huge influence to Murray & Smith.There's a box set of Thin Lizzy called Vagabonds, Kings, Warriors , Angels. That should be obligatory in every Maiden fan collection !

There's a version of Rosalie in a Maiden bootleg (don't know what, it's from mid 80s the guys also play ZZTOP's Tush) which is great and also Massacre in the Can I play with madness single.

Pay close attention to these songs and lots of Maiden guitar duels will come to your mind.

- Suicide
- Emerald (this one kicks heavy ass)
- Don't believe a word
- Soldier of Fortune
- Are you ready (here you will catch good parts of  Steve Harris bass playing !)

God bless Brian Robertson, Scott Gorham, Gary Moore and obviously the great Lynott ! What an influence Thin Lizzy is !!!!!

Cheers
Marcus

I'm with you all the way there mate!

Lizzy were an awesome (and underated) band. I got to see them only after Lynott died unfortunatley, with John Sykes singing, and they were incredible even then.

As good as Maiden's 'Massacre' was, the original was way better (sorry Maiden!).

Speaking of Maiden and Lizzy, what ever happened to the cover version Maiden recorded during the AMOLAD sessions? (An accoustic version of 'Don't Believe A Word'...I think, if I remember correctly.)

Hi Welsh Phantom !

Never heard this version of Don't believe a word !

By the way, if we ask Maiden about Massacre they will agree that Lizzy's is way better ! They have a big respect for them and UFO another fantastic band.

I'm sure there are some maiden freak around who knows every Maiden bootleg around...hope someone can find a link to us with the bootleg I talked about. All I remember was Maiden playing Tush and Lizzy's Rosalie. It was a blast !

Quite an honor you've attended a Lizzy concert ! John Sykes is an awesome player. His work at Whitesnake is great and also his playing at Tigers of Pan Tang and Blue Murder...solid, pure rockers. At this show you watched John was playing with which other guitarist ? Was it during that special tour they did a couple of years ago ?

cheers mate
Marcus

Hi InfinateDreamer,

I haven't heard this version, but I saw or read an interview where they mentioned it (might even be 'The Making of AMOLAD' dvd).

As far as 'Tush', they definatley played it at Reading 1982, as stated here in the commentary
http://www.maidenfans.com/imc/?url=tour ... link=tours

You'll have to search through for 'Rosalie' though!

I have seen Lizzy twice. First about 10 years ago at Brixton Academy, with Downey, Sykes, Gorham, and I don't remember the bassist. Nice thing was, as it was St. Patricks Day, Robertson came on for 'Still in Love With You' and 'Blackrose'!!!!!!!! I had tears in my eyes, and I don't mind admitting it.

I saw them the second time about a year ago in St. Davids Hall, Cardiff, and as the security was being a pain sending people back to there seats, Lizzy asked them to stop, so as a comprimise they allowed just 3 rows of people to lean on the stage, and I was one of them. Front row and not a sinigle person even touching me, let alone squashing me. Fantastic!!!

The band was Sykes, Gorham, Tommy Aldridge and Marco Mendosa.
Btw, look here for a couple of upcoming shows with Queensryche in the UK.
http://www.allgigs.co.uk/Info.php?article=467

Sykes does a great job, staying very true to Phils vocal melodies. If you can get to a gig in the future, you will not be disappointed.

Cool post Welsh Phantom,

I can imagine that it will be hard to forget that March 17th you've mentioned. You've seen Sykes & Gorham together plus a special appearance by Robbo ! "Nuff said !!!!" Great gig this one !!!!

About the recent concert, cool story this one about the first 3 rows. You got lucky on this one. Tommy Aldridge rocks hard. I've seen him spanking the drums twice...one with Yngwie Malmsteen and another one with Whitesnake. What a drummer he is. I may be messing things up, but you said Marco Mendoza....is he the former Twisted Sister bass player "Mark the Animal Mendoza" ?????? That would be quite a coincidence if not !

Unfortunately I guess I won't be able to watch Lizzy so soon. I live in Brazil. Lizzy is not so big here, quite a shame, all most people know is "The Boys are back in town" and 'Whiskey in the jar" (thanks to Metallica's Garage Inc album...) . Guess I will have to cross the Atlantic to watch the old Irish lads ! At least next week I will watch Queen + Paul Rogers in my hometown. Ok. It's not Lizzy but Roger, Paul and Brian know how to make a crowd happy !

cheers
Marcus

PS : thanks for the links.

Not sure to be honest, but it was the same Marco Mendoza that played with Blue Murder 1991-1993. :)

Btw, I have a couple of Grand Slam bootlegs. Why were they an unsigned band?!!!
They had so much potential (Phil Lynott, Mark Stanway and the brilliant Lawrence Archer amongst others).

Oh, and enjoy the Queen show. ;)

InfiniteDreamer said:
I'm sure there are some maiden freak around who knows every Maiden bootleg around...hope someone can find a link to us with the bootleg I talked about. All I remember was Maiden playing Tush and Lizzy's Rosalie. It was a blast !

Hey!, I find this quite offensive. I don't think I'll tell you now, despite knowing this. Ask nicely next time or not at all.

C'mon Ardius share it with us...

I will reformulate my question.

Is there any Iron Maiden fanatic in here, with a generous heart, capable of sharing the precious information about a concert performed by the NWOBHM band Iron Maiden during the 80s in which they played Thin Lizzy's Rosalie and Tush from that good old band from Texas, ZZTOP ? I would really appreciate that.

:bigsmile:

cheers

Thank you so much Ardius ! That's the one. I had heard parts of it here in Brazil back in 87/88 I guess. All I remember was Rosalie, Tush and School Days...never imagined it had been a much more complete gig...thought it was just a special apparition on stage like the infamous " Polish wedding" .

I'd really appreciate if you could share a link to those tracks via PM.

Once again thanks a lot. It will make me go back and relive some days 20 yrs ago !

cheers
Marcus

Ardius said:
Hey!, I find this quite offensive. I don't think I'll tell you now, despite knowing this. Ask nicely next time or not at all.

Um... no offense but there is only ONE MaidenFreak  on these boards and unfortunately he hasn't stopped by as of late... :p

Onhell said:
Um... no offense but there is only ONE MaidenFreak  on these boards and unfortunately he hasn't stopped by as of late... :p

I was taking offense from the implication that anyone who knew the information should be named as such, as I know such information but I am nothing like the REAL MaidenFreak  :p
(or at least, I don't think so.. :huh:)

Back