Instrumental intro to open an album

srfc

Ancient Mariner
It seemed like most albums in the 80's had the cliche of opening an album with a short melodic instrumental before an uptempo track kicked in, think The Ides of March, Battery or Beneath the Remains.

But what was the first? The earliest I can think of is Prelude/Tyrant from the real running order of Sad Wings of Destiny, is there any earlier than that?

The Deep Purple track, Speed King, from the In Rock album in '69 has an instrumental intro, which although not listed as a different track, is pretty much a separate entity. I think in some territories it was actually omitted from the album.

The Deep Purple track, Speed King, from the In Rock album in '69 has an instrumental intro, which although not listed as a different track, is pretty much a separate entity. I think in some territories it was actually omitted from the album.

Yes!

I think it will be hard to find a metal one earlier than that! For the purposes of this thread it not being listed as a different track definitely counts.

Jimi Hendrix have a track called EXP on Axis: Bold as love, it has no vocals but some spoken parts if it doesn’t count. It was released in 1967

Forgoing the question of which is the oldest, yes there are many good examples of a band opening their lp with an instrumental:

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road: Funeral For a Friend
Iron Maiden - Killers: The Ides of March
Megadeth - So Far, So Good...So What!: Into the Lungs of Hell
Rigor Mortis: Welcome To Your Funeral
Annihilator - Alice In Hell: Crystal Ann
Forbidden - Twisted Into Form: Parting of the Ways
Obituary - Frozen In Time: Redneck Stomp
Megadeth - Endgame: Dialectic Chaos
Dream Theater - The Astonishing: Dystopian Overture

These are just few that spring to mind...

Perhaps the best, The Hellion/Electric Eye
The best (short) intros to open an album are imo: ''The Hellion'' and ''The Ides Of March''. They sound just right for the start of the next song and for a start of a show. There are other epic-sounding intros, but they're more in the storytelling vibe. Priest's ''Guardians'' is another contender for the top, but it's not an album opener.

On the other hand, the best instrumental intro with vocals for me is: ''Mars Within''. I would have liked another proper song, but it fits the theme of the album perfectly.

Back