Initialisms/Acronyms of songs and albums

valacirca

Trooper
Are you fond of this habit?

I think most people here are fond of shortening the titles of Iron Maiden's songs to initialisms/acronyms aren't we? What, then, are your favorite ones (for whatever reason)?

It could be as crazy as like PENO because you can actually say it :p Or SSoaSS because it looks symmetrical :p or whatever...

Personally, I try to keep to the rule that I should only use initialisms for titles that are at least three words long... doing it for something shorter than that seems ridiculous.

I like SiaSL (c-ass-el), AMoLaD (am-oh-lad), RotAM (Row-tam), etc because, like you, I can say them.

I also approve of FTGGOG and WTWWB for the excessive no. of G's and W's respectively.

It depends on how much of a rush I am in to type. Usually in the Polls Forum I will just pound out initials to be concise.

Generally, I'd rather abbreviate album names (TFF, DOD, BNW) than songs.

Jonszat said:
You also just abbreviated song names ;)

Good spot that! :D

Anyway, I'm not that big of a fan for abbreviating song / album names, although I might if I was in a mad rush.

I like to shorten to single words more than acronyms, though I'm flexible with that.  Hallowed instead of HBTN, Rime instead of ROTAM, etc.  But PFD instead of Paschen-fucking-dale. :D

A combination of what's been said.  Mostly if I'm in a rush, like now I'll abbrev.  Also I abbrev. the common names (PotO, SSoaSS) and long ones (FtGGoG), etc.  Album names, like LC said; I tend to abbrev. even Powerslave (PS).

There's a trick on this forum, useful for those who don't know their [acronym=The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner]TLOTLDR[/acronym] from their [acronym=The Thin Line Between Love And Hate]TTLBLAH[/acronym]. Hold your mouse over those acronyms for a second to see the expansion.

[ac ronym=The Thin Line Between Love And Hate]TTLBLAH[/ac ronym]
(Remove the spaces in 'acronym')

Thanks.  Great to know SMX. :ok:

Testing, testing...

[acronym=Brighter than a Thousand Suns]BtaTS[/acronym] and [acronym=Paschen Fuckin' Dale]PFD[sub]1[/sub][/acronym]

Hey, that's a lot of work. It works the same way as quoting. NO surprize.

1. Stolen from a certain Nordic fella.

My favorites have to be BTaTS ("BEE-tats"), TRoBB, TMWWBK ("TAM-wuh-bik"), GotN ("GAHT-ehn"), FTGGoG ("FUHT-guh-gawg"), TTLBLaH ("tuh-TUHL-bluh"), and OotSP ("Ooohtsp").

SinisterMinisterX said:
Stolen from who? I was the originator of the term Paschenfuckingdale. Right here, over three years ago.

I wasn't clear.  Sorry aboot that.  I know you started the fucking in the Passion, I just mean it was Invader or EW (and I'm too lazy to check which one) that started to shorted it PFD.  That's all.

Detective Beauregard said:
My favorites have to be BTaTS ("BEE-tats"), TRoBB, TMWWBK ("TAM-wuh-bik"), GotN ("GAHT-ehn"), FTGGoG ("FUHT-guh-gawg"), TTLBLaH ("tuh-TUHL-bluh"), and OotSP ("Ooohtsp").
As far as pronouncing acronyms I prefer AMOLAD as pure joy -- it just rolls off your tongue.

It wasn't me, nor did I claim that.  I first heard it from Ranko:
Ranko said:
I move that PFD - as in "Paschen Fucking Dale" - become the official abbreviation for Paschendale.

My favourite abbreviation ever. B)

I have to agree with Jeff for once.

What? Saying something on topic? Oh right.
I don't really pronounce these, I just write them.
What I do like is going through the entire Maiden catalogue in my head to find what some acronyms mean!

Back