India and Pakistan might be on the brink of nuclear war

Travis The Dragon

AFTERGLOW!!!
From: https://defconwarningsystem.com/2019/02/27/nuclear-nightmare-india-and-pakistan-are-on-the-brink/
India and Pakistan are in the throes of the most serious military standoff between them since 2002. After years of absorbing terror attacks conceived by non-state groups based on Pakistani soil, India decided enough was enough after a February 14 vehicle-borne improvised explosive device killed forty paramilitary personnel. It’s response? An airstrike on what it claimed was a camp run by Jaish-e-Mohammed, the group that claimed the attack, on Pakistani soil.

That retaliation was immediately celebrated in India, where it was seen as a show of muscular resolve—a message that New Delhi wouldn’t simply allow Pakistan’s tolerance and covert encouragement of the non-state groups to go unpunished. But the strike humiliated Pakistan’s defense establishment, which was perceived to have been caught off-guard.

India described the strike as preemptive and driven by highly specific intelligence about a credible imminent threat. Critically, New Delhi underscored that the targets were “non-military”—that it wasn’t looking to start a war. In any case, Pakistan’s version of events was sharply divergent, with its military claiming that India had struck nothing more than foliage.

There was some recent precedence to make sense of the initial Indian strike and Pakistan’s response. New Delhi had retaliated to a lower-casualty attack in Kashmir in September 2016 by conducting what it called “surgical strikes” into Pakistan-administered Kashmir, taking out facilities used by terrorists. Pakistan simply wrote off that action and took the public position that nothing had happened, offering a face-saving off-ramp for both sides that prevented a crisis like the one we’re seeing today from bubbling up.

After this week’s Indian strikes, however, Pakistan did not feel it had the same out. In a press conference after the Indian attack, Pakistan’s top military spokesperson strongly refuted the idea that it had been caught off-guard and promised India a befitting response at a time and place of its choosing. With that, we had the assurance of escalation: Pakistan had boxed itself in.
You can also follow this thread for constant updates on this situation: http://www.defconwarningsystem.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13091

Wow, this thread title caught my eye alarmingly while scrolling through the new posts. Scary stuff, here's hoping little comes of it.

It's quite likely that this will escalate to an armed conflict, but I doubt it would lead to a nuclear war. I'm picturing it would be a limited conflict like the Kargil War, which was fought when both sides were nuclear powers already.
The greater risk concerns the domestic development of both countries. In the wake of increasing Hindu nationalism, this could lead to a new level of anti-Muslim violence in India. Pakistan on the other hand has recently had a democratic transition of power, and a military coup could be on the horizon. And there are powerful political forces in both countries that want all this to happen.

I'm with Per. I don't see two countries who are right next to each other engaging in nuclear war.

I for one don't care. They can throw all 300 warheads or whatever they have between each other. Pakistan's WMD arsenal is in essence owned by KSA and as soon as someone gets rid them of that the world gets to be a better place.

(not like anything remotely is going to happen, they had a full scale war after both got nuke-armed)

No-ones. Russia good with India and China, China good with Pakistan and Russia, US good with Pakistan and India.

Yeah, previous Pakistani-Indian clashes the west has mostly stayed out of them.

I work with a few people from India, one is from Kashmir and the other is from somewhere else. The fellow from Kashmir is all pissed off about this, and the other lady is pretty much like, "Yes, this is bad, but it's an election year and Modi is using it to drum up his re-election bid." I will not pretend to be an expert on subcontinent politics.

Didn't this incident begin with Pakistani-hosted terror attack on Indian military? Let's not pretend like this is an even playing field. Pak utilizes terror tactics while Ind doesn't.

The group that claimed responsibility for the terror attack is based in Pakistan, yes. Many experts believe the group was founded by Pakistani intelligence but they have likely lost control of it since, though some funding probably still occurs.

India doesn't need to really resort to terror tactics, as they outnumber Pakistan 10:1.

I for one don't care. They can throw all 300 warheads or whatever they have between each other.

What about the environmental impact?

Also, I'd rather if innocent people don't get killed on a mass scale, personally.

"Jebiga", I suppose.
Approach generally working.

Second part of your message wasn't there when I responded, so only applicable to first.

Jebiga indeed. If they could dismantle wmds without using them, that would be preferable.

also mind our lord and saviour Carlin - planet will be fine, it's us who are fucked

I wish I was apathetic enough about the human condition that I could say fuck it about things like multiple WMDs being used.

I don't give a fuck about the planet, it's us that I give a fuck about. So I'd rather if we don't let ourselves be fucked, but I guess that's just me.

Last edited:
Back