If I were 15 today..

pmerrill

Prowler
Hello All

I got into Maiden when I was 15 years old in 1983. I am right now watching the Firefly Festival that is live here in my home state of Delaware. These are I suppose bands that are popular now (two examples: Awolnation and Cage the Elephant). These bands are so terrible I can't believe people I know are spending hundreds of dollars to go to this event.

So my question is this:

Have I become the bitter old man (46) that just hates all new music (as everyones' parents did) or would these possibly be bands that I would get into and love for over 30 years if I were 15 again?

I hate to think that my taste would be so bad if I were 15 now.

Pat

Just created an account to say this:
Am currently 16 and a good friend of mine showed me Maiden about half a year ago. I guess it had to do with the songs she showed me but I couldn't really get into it. I gave it a 2nd try about 3 months ago and looked for songs myself and then it clicked. I listened to their more popular and well known songs and now I love pretty much all of their music. At the moment I'm just listening through their albums searching for songs which are not so well known but still awesome. Somehow I became a huge fan (just ordered some merch and will definitely see them live next year). It's just so different from the stuff that I usually hear and I'm so happy that I discovered this genre for myself (will also see Judas Priest this sunday)
So for today's music. Tbh I haven't even heard of these bands which you named (Awolnation and Cage the Elephant). Most of the guys in my age today listen to electronic music, (mainstream) pop or rap. But I also know a lot of people in my age who listen to rock/metal. And pretty much all of these guys also think that the "older" bands are a lot better than the stuff that's now on the radios. But I also have to say there are some artists today which release music I really like. Slash's newer solo works instantly come to my mind but when I think about it pretty much all of the bands which I like and which still produce good music today are in the business since about 20 years..
So to answer your question. If you were in my age again I don't think you would get into these newer bands. You would just discover the older bands like Maiden, start to love them, and begin to think how much nicer it would've been if you were born in that time:)
(Not a native english speaker hope my message still came through)

Have I become the bitter old man (46) that just hates all new music (as everyones' parents did) or would these possibly be bands that I would get into and love for over 30 years if I were 15 again?

I don't think anyone can answer this question, because the music you are into is a result of more than just the time and age. You ended up following a metal band, but metal wasn't the only type of music around or popular in 1983. And if this festival had been around in 1983, Maiden wouldn't have played there. I haven't heard of most of the bands on that festival you posted about, but I know it's not a metal festival if Paul McCartney or the Kings of Leon headline it.
If your rant is more about how there isn't any good music anymore however, let me tell you that there is more good music than ever currently, you just have to look for it. There is more going on outside the mainstream than ever before, and there are great new bands for every taste. It's just not on the radio.

Well I was born in 1988, therefore I'm one of those fabled 90s kids. I cannot stand the pop music today (save for a few earworms) and fondly remember the good ol' days... of Eurodance. Ahem. We weren't the least bit better back then.
I discovered Maiden around 2000 and bought the Edward the Great Album solely based on the cover. I wanted to be a rebel and bought CDs with skulls and stuff on the cover. Maiden got through to me though. And it greatly influenced my musical style today. My father tried to "teach" me good music, too, exposing me to Uriah Heep, Iron Butterfly, Johnny Cash, CCR and the like.

You're naturally exposed to what is "in" when you're in those easily influental teenage years but you eventually develop your own taste which may greatly differ. So if I were 15 now, I may would rock out to bun-loving Anacondas but 30 years down the line remember them fondly only for nostalgic reasons. At 15 in 2003, I was listening to all kinds of new and old stuff to find my taste. Ranging from Hiphop to Techno to Metal to Country and so on. My 512MB mp3 player was packed full of Members of Mayday, Cypress Hill, Offspring... but I kept coming back to Metal.

Incidentally now, at 27, I can say my favorite musical style is indeed metal, with Maiden being my favorite. BUT I also enjoy EDM and Country. YOu're shaped by what is around you but only so much. My parents hated the Eurodance craze, I hate the current mindless pop epidemic, and maybe my kids will some time hate whatever is trendy in 2030. But quality will prevail.

I somehow feel I wrote so much and said so little:facepalm:

Edit: Also, nowadays its MUCH easier to be exposed to and to find all kinds of different music way easier than 15 years ago. Youtube helps wonders in discovering new stuff you wouldn't have otherwise.

Aww, come on. There is nothing quite as wonderful as Eurodance. It's the one thing I miss the nineties for. :p

Eternity, eternity, eternity, eternity, eeeteeerniiiiiiityyyyy.... great now I have Eurodance stuck in my head.

Rhythm is a dancer, it's a soul's companion, you can feel it everywheeere...

I lived in the nineties as well and followed (and liked! some of) that music as well. I never heard of the term Eurodance though.

The label wasn't around back in the nineties, but it's been used quite heavily retrospectively for the last 15 years...

Its a nostalgic thing. I guess I wouldn't remember Eurodance so fondly if I wasn't a (pre)teen back then.

I am very nostalgic person, but apparently (until now) I haven't read enough on wiki to notice and remember the term. Right now I am looking at lists of bandnames and I remember several.

Hmm, I still have a vinyl single by 2 Brothers on the 4th Floor (Netherlands) and a CD single by Magic Affair (Germany) laying around.

I'm really surprised you haven't heard the term before.

I also might have heard it and forgotten about it, but I am 100% sure that it indeed wasn't a typical term in those days, at least where I lived, and also I don't remember it from MTV.

I am more nostalgic about the 1980s. Maybe that's why. Looking back at the nineties, it's rather Grunge and discovering metal (other than Queen, Bon Jovi and Guns'n'Roses).

Last edited:
You would just discover the older bands like Maiden, start to love them, and begin to think how much nicer it would've been if you were born in that time

That's a universal thing, thinking you were born a generation too late for the good rock. We thought the same thing in the late 80s. In 1989 (age 18) I had this poster on my wall:
MPW-12186

and now it turns out, the 80s weren't so bad. Silly but there was some good rockin'. Nothing to be ashamed of. I FUCKIN' LOVE TWISTED SISTER.

Back