ICED EARTH SURVIVOR 2018: Results -> A Question Of Heaven wins!

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
Voting for all of the same bad music from Plagues as well as The Relic (the weakest song from Incorruptible now that Brothers is gone).

Criticism has been pretty hard on Plagues of Babylon. And exaggerated. The first half is pretty decent to good. Now into The End! Damn this song has interesting rhythm work in the verses. Absolutely not an overlong song.

On choruses that sound like each other: Somehow I do not mind much. I guess I like such chord progressions and vocal harmonies/melodies.

A very melodic album with lots of Maidenish harmonies. I might like it more than Framing Armageddon (did not play it in ages but I think I missed the melodic aspect, not compensated enough by not the most interesting riffing) and The Glorious Burden which has way more filler (bad songs) than Plagues.

edit:
In the first eight tracks I can hardly point at a song that I dislike. *prepares for worse*

Last edited:
My criticism with Plagues is almost entirely the fault of the vocals. The melodies are poor, the production is worse, and the performance by Stu is by and large pretty bad. Obviously, a lot of the issue there relates to the songwriting so I can't entirely fault Stu. I'm honestly very glad the album has those repetitive, melodic choruses because if all the choruses sounded as choppy and poorly written as the verses, the album would be unlistenable to me.

I don't find a problem with vocals on Plagues. I just find it slightly samey and a touch uninspiring.

Raven Wing, The Veil, Among The Living Dead, The End?, If I Could See You, Cthulhu, Parasite, Spirit of the Times.

The Veil, The Relic, Ghost Dance, Among the Living Dead, Cthulhu, Peacemaker, Parasite.

Everything on Plagues minus the title track and Cthulhu, plus The Veil.
Consensus: The best Stu-era Iced Earth songs are Dystopia, Cthulhu, Black Flag, Ghost Dance, and Clear the Way... and the pirate one is the best.
Everytime I see the word "consensus", I feel the urge to argue. I couldn't really agree - I'd say Anthem is one of the best. I don't like Ghost Dance, but I think Plagues of Babylon could also be included in the best list.

I was narrowing it down to 5 songs. If I expanded it to 10, yes - Anthem and Plagues would be included, as would Dark City.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 2:
Among The Living Dead - 9 votes
Spirit Of The Times - 9 votes
The Veil - 7 votes
Peacemaker - 7 votes
Parasite - 7 votes

Voted for Great Heathen Army, Seven Headed Whore, The Relic, Part 1, Defiance, Democide, The End? and Highwayman.

The Relic, Ghost Dance, Defiance, Democide, The End, If I Could See You.

Ghost Dance, Democide and The End are still great songs, but weaker than the remaining ones.

Back