ICED EARTH SURVIVOR 2018: Results -> A Question Of Heaven wins!

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
Been looking forward to taking part in this, as Iced Earth is my second favorite band after Maiden :)

First of all, I really like the current era with Stu. I think he is an amazing vocalist, and while the Barlow-similarities are there for all to see, I still find his voice unique and fitting. Of the three albums with him, Dystopia is actually the weakest one in my opinion. Plagues, on the other hand, might be in my all-time Iced Earth top 3.

Voting for The Relic (it feels vague and inconsistent), Defiance (the only entirely forgettable song on Incorruptible), If I Could See You, Spirit of the Times (definitely the most boring ballad IE has ever done, even though they present it as a cover song) and Outro. IMO, the rest of the current songs in the poll are all great.

Thoughts on Incorruptible as a whole after a couple relistens:

- Why are so many of the vocal melodies just so...awkward? I like Stu, I like his place in Iced Earth, but for some reason there are multiple songs on this album with insanely awkward melodies (especially at the beginnings of songs). The first verse of Raven Wing, The Veil, The Relic, and Brothers are cringeworthy. I really don't know exactly how to describe it but the delivery is weird, almost like it's being composed on the spot. Maybe Stu's tone in these lower, quieter parts has something to do with it? I don't know, but I know that I really dislike the vocal compositions here.

- Jake Dreyer is the best part of this album and really invigorates some of the more flaccid songs here. Definitely the best lead player since Shawver for this band.

- Clear The Way is a cool song, but the lyrics and music do not jive. There's not a shred of Celtic tonality to this giant war song about an Irish Brigade. Why aren't there some Irish-sounding riffs? This could have been infinitely better if the music had been altered to match the lyrics, even in a small way. You can't just throw bagpipe interludes over something and call it Irish, Jon.

- Clear The Way is a cool song, but the lyrics and music do not jive. There's not a shred of Celtic tonality to this giant war song about an Irish Brigade. Why aren't there some Irish-sounding riffs? This could have been infinitely better if the music had been altered to match the lyrics, even in a small way. You can't just throw bagpipe interludes over something and call it Irish, Jon.

Better this than what Sabaton did to Bannockburn. :innocent:

Plagues of Babylon is growing on me more and more as I listen to it, although I will admit a couple of the songs just leave me shaking my head. Incorruptible is a great albun, full stop. Every song is good in its own way, even the ones I don't love like Seven-Headed Whore and Brothers, with the best single IE song in 13 years as its apex.

And I really, really dig the opening one-two punch, and I'm huge on Relic.

Thoughts on Incorruptible as a whole after a couple relistens:

- Why are so many of the vocal melodies just so...awkward? I like Stu, I like his place in Iced Earth, but for some reason there are multiple songs on this album with insanely awkward melodies (especially at the beginnings of songs). The first verse of Raven Wing, The Veil, The Relic, and Brothers are cringeworthy. I really don't know exactly how to describe it but the delivery is weird, almost like it's being composed on the spot. Maybe Stu's tone in these lower, quieter parts has something to do with it? I don't know, but I know that I really dislike the vocal compositions here.

- Jake Dreyer is the best part of this album and really invigorates some of the more flaccid songs here. Definitely the best lead player since Shawver for this band.

Folky-melody-not-specifically-Irish works okay. Besides, it's about Americans. :D

Relic is really amazing, so unexpected. They haven't played it live yet, have they?

HjayDR6.jpg

Credits:
Jon Schaffer - rhythm guitar & vocals - 12th album with the band
Brent Smedley - drums - 4th album with the band
Stu Block - vocals - 3rd album with the band
Luke Appleton - bass - 2nd album with the band
Jake Dreyer - lead guitar - 1st album with the band
  1. Great Heathen Army - Don't like the beginning of the song. Same style as Dystopia and is kinda anticlimactic to start an album with. Should've started with the riffs and screaming instead. Don't like the drum beat during the chorus either, I think it sucks out the intensity of the song. Otherwise it's an OK song, but underwhelming for the opener. Might be their weakest opener along with Something Wicked, Part 1 from Framing Armageddon.
  2. Black Flag - Cool song. I think that the repetitive drum beat kinda drags it down a notch though. Needs a different rhythm at least for the final part of the song, or more double bass or anything to make it more intense. Obviously "black powderrrrr" is the highlight of the song.
  3. Raven Wing - Starts out like a classic IE ballad, but then there's a twist! Now, this song finally has a non-repetitive interesting drum rhythm for once. Stu isn't trying to one-up Barlow too much on this song which is also a plus. Dude just doesn't have a voice as deep as Barlow's and while he can imitate him just fine it sounds awkward most of the time. Highlight of the song is definitely the solo, which is one of their best solos in a long time (although tbh IE was never a band that had many memorable guitar solos).
  4. The Veil - Very cool beginning, love that riff. Chorus is great and again, Stu is much more comfortable when he doesn't try to imitate Barlow.
  5. Seven Headed Whore - Fallen angels, ancient demons and VIOLATE! :p But seriously, they have a song like this on almost every album. Most of them are just fine, but aren't really original. Thankfully the solos are quite awesome on this song.
  6. The Relic, Part 1 - Forgettable song tbh. Nothing really stands out except maybe some leads.
  7. Ghost Dance (Awaken The Ancestors) - Epic instrumental, love it. Don't think they've done a non-interlude instrumental since 1776 (the song, not the year) and this one fully delivers. Very catchy and melodic with some epic chant overdubs. 2nd best song on the album IMO, and one of their best post-Barlow songs.
  8. Brothers - Cool chorus, but nothing too original or interesting in this song. Would've preferred more upbeat drumming on the chorus (think "Crosses grow on Anzio" :p). Verses are reminiscent of a song from Dystopia that I can't quite remember, will have to check that when we get to that album.
  9. Defiance - Average verses, awesome chorus. Btw. Stu's screaming is weakening and he only just turned 40. Wonder how many years he has before Schaffer finds someone else.
  10. Clear The Way (December 13th, 1862) - I think all of us apart from @MrKnickerbocker can agree that it's the best post-Barlow song. Every band member is at the top of his game on this song. The song itself also has pretty much everything to make it 10/10: great choruses, great melodies/solos & riffs, interesting drumming etc.
Overall: Solid album. Dunno where I'd place it on my list of favorite albums, but it might be the best post-Barlow album. One notable positive aspect is that the production is the best its been since at least Horror Show. Finally a proper drum sound and strong guitars to go with them. However, I think the album is missing an awesome full ballad to make it really, really good. Previous 2 albums have at least 2 awesome ballads.
Best song(s): Clear The Way (December 13th, 1862), Ghost Dance (Awaken The Ancestors), The Veil

Great Heathen Army - Kind of a generic Iced Earth intro but it works decently. I like it much more than the intros to the previous two albums. When the actual song kicks in it's anything but generic. Love that pummeling riff. It sounds like Iced Earth, but it isn't predictable the way a lot of their recent music is. The lead guitar playing is also great, Troy Seele stepping aside was one of the better lineup changes they've had. Some questionable vocals from Stu but he does a good job.

Black Flag - This one stats off really plodding, but when it gets going it's good. I dig the pirate theme. Stu gives a great performance.

Raven Wing - This is another one that starts off pretty week but quickly picks up a bit. I could do without all the string and acoustic bits, but the heavy parts are good. It'll probably earn a vote soon, but not this round.

The Veil - It's not bad but also nothing very noteworthy about it either. Therefore, it gets a vote. I do like the atmospheric part of the instrumental section though.

Seven Headed Whore - Still not sure what to make of this. The vocals are pretty bad in places and the song is overall pretty goofy, but it has a great chorus and lots of energy. It has its moments ultimately it is not among the album's best moments, so it gets a vote.

The Relic - Awesome song. Great riffing, leads, and an emotional dynamic performance from Stu. Like Great Heathen Army, it is another refreshing moment. I also like when they get really melodic without being in the confines of a generic ballad. The only real flaw is the ending, which doesn't add anything to the song for me. I'm guessing since this is "part 1" it is meant to serve as an interlude, but if I was into making custom edits of songs I would probably shave off the last minute or so.

Ghost Dance - Love a good instrumental. This is very melodic and has some great guitar work all over it. It's a little overlong, but that seems to be a recurring theme on this album. There are several songs that just slightly overstay their welcome. Probably not going to last too long in the game, but I'd take this over most of Plagues.

Brothers - Like Raven Wing, it has a boring start but eventually picks up steam. Awesome chorus, although the rest of the song doesn't quite live up to it. Not a bad song, but not on the level of some of the other stuff here so it gets a vote.

Defiance - Nothing really remarkable here. Seems like obvious filler, the sort of thing they came up with in a few minutes. Some bad vocals here too. Stu's upper range needs a lot of work. Similar weaknesses to Ripper, it sounds weak and almost whiny. Not a good sound at all. It gets a vote.

Clear the Way - This is insanely melodic. Love the guitar harmonies and choruses. One of their catchiest epics. Has a bit of a Thin Lizzy vibe, similar melodic heaviness. A pleasantly surprising epic and a solid way to close the album.

What I like about this album is that it seems to cut out a lot of the Iced Earth tropes that drag down other albums. The overused rhythms, the generic ballads, all things that make a lot of their recent music indistinguishable. Meanwhile their strong points, such as guitar harmonies and riffs, are more refined and become the focus of this album. The band seems reenergized and I can't overstate how much the new guitarist adds to the music. If I was to sum up the album in one word, it'd be "refreshing." It still doesn't come close to their best early moments, but few bands recapture that glory this late into their careers. It's consistently good music, which is all I can ask for from them at this point.
You haven't voted....

Plagues of Babylon - The way @Night Prowler feels about Great Heathen Army is pretty much how I feel about this track. The intro is pretty boring and anticlimatic. Once the song gets going, it's OK but plods a lot. I like the verses, not sure if there's anything else I particularly enjoy. Overall just overblown and kinda boring. It gets a vote.

Democide - Another dragged out boring intro. When the song actually finally starts it's just your average thrasher. On top of that, something about the song seems incoherent. Like the vocals don't gel with the riffs. A bit of a mess all around. It gets a vote.

The Culling - Great song. Some awesome rhythmic stuff happening (I like this drummer more than recent Smedley, it's too bad they didn't stick with him) and a great chorus. It even has a decent guitar solo. An awesome track with an epic feel, the album needs more of this.

Among the Living Dead - I know this song tends to be a favorite among a lot of people but it still hasn't clicked with me. Not bad at all, still among the album's better moments, but I would never go out of my way for it. A little too heavy on the huge vocal choirs. I do like the heaviness though.

Resistance - This song ends pretty strong but it takes such a long time to get there. Lots of boring moments prior to that. Mostly forgettable overall. It gets a vote.

The End? - Overly long with an annoying chorus and questionable vocals. One of the worst songs on the album. Vote.

If I Could See You - Ugh. One of their worst ballads. It plods, it is just like every other Iced Earth ballad, and the vocals are annoying. Obvious vote.

Cthulu - This one isn't too bad. I could do without the chorus (the huge anthemic choruses are really overdone on this and it gets old) but the rest of it is pretty good. The slow intros are pretty hit and miss with IE but I think this one works, Stu even gives a solid performance during it. The riffing illustrates the lyrics nicely.

Peacemaker - Unlike Cthulu, the slow intro on this one doesn't work. Eventually it picks up and the song improves a ton. Don't remember this making an impression the first time I heard the album, so it's a bit of a hidden gem for me. It's nothing particularly special, just a solid song with a catchy chorus.

Parasite - This one is a lot better than I remember. Feels like they're doing something different here and I really dig the screeching guitars in the choruses. Not bad at all. Very awkward ending though. A lot of the songs on this album (and Incorruptible for that matter) seem kinda sloppily written. Like not much thought was put into the structures.

Spirit of the Times - Not only is this another boring ballad, but it's a cover of a boring Sons of Liberty song. WTF. This song is so bland and it plods so hard. The guitar solo at 1:28 sounds like Troy noodling before an actual take. Did Jon record his warm up as a joke? Although on second thought that might actually be Jon playing. Also what is going on with Stu's vocals? There's a lot of bad singing on this album, but this particular track takes the cake. On top of that, the sound of his voice is just weird and unnatural, especially on the sibilance. Did they over do it with the de-esser? (Paging @MrKnickerbocker ) I don't get it, it's not like the album wasn't long enough. This did not need to happen. A worst IE song contender.

Highwayman - How did this b-side fodder make it on to the album? It's not bad, but it just seems bizarre to end the album with two covers. It's such an anticlimactic end. The guest vocals don't really add anything either. It's not bad, but essentially the same as if Iron Maiden put their cover of Hocus Pocus on A Matter of Life and Death. It gets a vote.

Overall, this is really a low point in their discography. Incorruptible further proves it to me, it's not like they were out of good music. I'm not really sure what the problem was. The bulk of the songs are bland and uninspired, Stu's vocals often range from serviceable to outright bad, and the production is muddy and lifeless. I genuinely thought they were either going to break up or kick Stu out after this album because something wasn't working. I don't know what happened in between this and Incorruptible because they improved on nearly every front. But Incorruptible being such a strong album just makes this one seem even worse in comparison. We'll see how I feel at the end of this, but right now I'm thinking it's my least favorite IE album (yes including the debut).

There are some positives though. A couple songs that I remember disliking or not thinking much of in general left a more positive impression on me this time around. I was also really impressed with the drumming. A lot better than what Smedley does these days. It would've been nice to hear a different drummer on Incorruptible, because while the guitars show a ton of improvement the drums have slightly declined in comparison. A lot of dull moments on this album are saved by interesting drumming.

Okay, so obviously I'm new to Iced Earth and this is subject to change but...

INCORRUPTIBLE:
Great Heathen Army
- This was a fairly good song. I enjoyed it and the build-up doesn't bother me. Not sure how I feel about the vocals yet though.
Black Flag - Okay, it's no Alestorm, but as far as songs about pirates go, I liked this one. I've decided that I dislike this singer's use of falsetto / high pitch; as someone who aspires to sing myself, I can respect it, but it's nothing special. Other than that, good song.
Raven Wing - It's not bad, but there's nothing outstanding about this song.
The Veil - Interesting stuff, better than that last song. I like it; it's kinda what I expected to hear from this band.
Seven Headed Whore - Ooh, now we're getting somewhere! This song was great, I really enjoyed it; possibly best one yet. This time the singer used his high pitch to great effect; really sells the song. The faster pace is nice, too.
The Relic, Part I - Also an enjoyable song! The quiet ending took me by surprise because I already thought the song was over, lol. Very nice.
Ghost Dance (Awaken the Ancestors) - Oh so this is an instrumental? Wow, um, so, yeah, wow. Seriously, wow. Good call, guys. This is exactly what I want from a song called "Ghost Dance (Awaken the Ancestors)" - if there had been lyrics they'd probably have screwed it up. Solid song! Possibly best one yet.
Brothers - Another good song. Iced Earth have a style that isn't what I typically like, but as far as that goes I'm being pleasantly surprised by these songs.
Defiance - Another good song! I love the harmonizing or whatever that is in the chorus; does have some bad falsetto but that's overlooked.
Clear the Way (December 13th, 1862) -
raw

Only song I didn't care for was Raven Wing; other than that, this was a good album. I'm officially in. (EDIT: Not the Iced Earth fandom, but the survivor game... that would be a step too far.)

Prediction: One of Iced Earth's albums will become Diesel's favorite album of all time by the end of the game.

I was also really impressed with the drumming. A lot better than what Smedley does these days. It would've been nice to hear a different drummer on Incorruptible, because while the guitars show a ton of improvement the drums have slightly declined in comparison. A lot of dull moments on this album are saved by interesting drumming.
Could you be a bit more concrete? What appeals especially about his drumming on this album? I don't think his level of drumming can suddenly decrease. Perhaps the last album didn't need that much "interesting" drumming? I can't judge, haven't heard it. It could be a choice, perhaps something Schaffer wanted.

Plagues has a different drummer. I can go into more detail later.

Incorruptible

Great Heathen Army sounds like a classic IE opener to me, I like it! Black Flag is probably one of the highlight here. Great riffing and very memorable pre-chorus and chorus. Very easy to get hooked on. Raven Wing starts out like a pretty bad ballad but then actually gets quite interesting. The idea of shape shifting is also one of the more interesting lyrical concepts on the album. Maybe there's a bit too much synth towards the end of the song though. I like the dark atmosphere of The Veil and it has a memorable chorus but besides that there is not that much here to get into. The thrashing of Seven Headed Whore it's a nice little wake up call in the middle of the album. A much needed fast track in between the mid-paced songs. I didn't like The Relic at all on first listen but after three or four listens I've actually come to like this song very much. Very catchy and another song about shapeshifting and shamanism it seems like Raven Wing. Ghost Dance overstays it welcome a bit, it repeats a few passages one too many times. I liked the intro but when they introduce new-agey pan flute it almost becomes too much. Thankfully they keep it at a minimum, for an instrumental I wish they would have let loose a bit more though! Brothers starts out OK but gets a bit repetitive. Defiance is a great headbanging track with a nice pace and some fiery solos... Bonus points for the Halford shriek! Clear the Way is the epic of the album for sure but I don't think it's the best of the bunch.

Voting only for The Veil and Brothers from this one so far...

Holy shit I'm halfway through a relisten of Plagues of Babylon and I swear this album must have given me PTSD 4 years ago because I completely forgot how absolutely terrible it is.

Back