ICED EARTH SURVIVOR 2018: Results -> A Question Of Heaven wins!

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 20:
Slave To The Dark - 9 votes
Brainwashed - 7 votes
Diary - 6 votes
Birth Of The Wicked - 5 votes

Promoted after Round 20:
The Coming Curse
A Question Of Heaven
Burnt Offerings
Last December
Dante's Inferno

Night Of The Stormrider joins the game!

Dracula
The Path I Choose, Before the Vision and Reaching the End

I can't bring myself to vote for any of the others, they're all simply TOO good.

Man, the development of this game is beginning to suck. Brainwashed gone, Birth of the Wicked gone! WTF? :nuts2:
And now Path that I Choose, such a damn great riff monster.

The thing about Night of the Stormrider is that the vocals just cannot live up to some of the excellent compositions. Even the best songs (Travel in Stygian/Pure Evil) are marred by poor melody choices that were later remedied by Barlow on Days of Purgatory (where all of the superior versions exist). I can't help but vote here based on my opinion of the songs in their best form (w/ Barlow).

Stormrider
The Path I Choose
Before the Vision
Mystical End
Reaching the End
+ Wolf

@Night Prowler, the rules say that a new album joins when there are 10, 11 or less songs left. How do you decide how many will be eliminated in this round?
We have two songs with 6 votes, one with 5, one with 4 (The Path I choose).

I wonder if The Path I Choose can survive before the next album comes on or not, and by what reasoning. The rules say a song has to have at least 3 votes to be eliminated. But does that mean that all songs with 3 or more songs are always eliminated? So also Wolf (3 votes)?

There will be more voters.

I try to eliminate 5 songs every time. If the results are, for example:

Song 1 - 9 votes
Song 2 - 8 votes
Song 3 - 7 votes
Song 4 - 6 votes
Song 5 - 5 votes

and everything else with less than 5, Top 5 are gone. But if it's like this:

Song 1 - 9 votes
Song 2 - 8 votes
Song 3 - 7 votes
Song 4 - 6 votes
Song 5 - 6 votes
Song 6 - 6 votes

then just the Top 3 are gone. Also sometimes if there's a big gap in votes:

Song 1 - 9 votes
Song 2 - 9 votes
Song 3 - 9 votes
Song 4 - 5 votes
Song 5 - 4 votes

I'd probably let the Songs 4 and 5 survive.

Anyway most of this depends from round to round.

There will be more voters.

I try to eliminate 5 songs every time. If the results are, for example:

Song 1 - 9 votes
Song 2 - 8 votes
Song 3 - 7 votes
Song 4 - 6 votes
Song 5 - 5 votes

and everything else with less than 5, Top 5 are gone. But if it's like this:

Song 1 - 9 votes
Song 2 - 8 votes
Song 3 - 7 votes
Song 4 - 6 votes
Song 5 - 6 votes
Song 6 - 6 votes

then just the Top 3 are gone. Also sometimes if there's a big gap in votes:

Song 1 - 9 votes
Song 2 - 9 votes
Song 3 - 9 votes
Song 4 - 5 votes
Song 5 - 4 votes

I'd probably let the Songs 4 and 5 survive.

Anyway most of this depends from round to round.
Alright thanks, I'll see what happens.

Mystical End is definitely the weakest track on NotS. I like Phantom Opera Ghost but it's nowhere near one of my favorites on HS

Mystical End is definitely the weakest track on NotS. I like Phantom Opera Ghost but it's nowhere near one of my favorites on HS

I've always had a soft spot for Mystical End. It might be that it was one of the first IE songs I tried learning myself that makes me feel very nostalgic about it.

gl1XXhP.jpg

Credits:
Jon Schaffer - rhythm guitar & vocals - 2nd album with the band
Randall Shawver - lead guitar - 2nd album with the band
Dave Abell - bass - 2nd album with the band
John Greely - vocals - 1st album with the band
Richey Secchiari - drums - 1st album with the band

1. Angels Holocaust - Certainly the most epic beginning to an Iced Earth album. Very entertaining song that goes through multiple softer and heavier parts and shows much they improved from the debut. Obviously Greely being the biggest change since he could actually sing. Also Shawver shines on this song, so many great leads that not one IE guitarist was able to replicate properly live (particularly the part @ x).
  2. Stormrider - Apart from the beginning of the song, this is the most Schaffer sang on an Iced Earth album. His vocals are OK for what they are but he probably thinks he sounds much cooler than he actually does :p But yeah, still a pretty classic IE song with great riffing.
  3. The Path I Choose - Starts off with a trademark Iced Earth riff. Greely shows some great range on this song and almost growls during the chorus. Shawver again shines with awesome solos and riffing. However... I think this is the weakest song on the album. Or least great one :p Still a pretty great song.
  4. Before The Vision - Awesome little interlude.
  5. Mystical End - Most underrated song on this album, probably because there isn't a recording with Barlow singing it. It's by far the most cheerful song musically on the album too, but the subject matter is pretty dark. It's filled with awesome leads and riffs, and surprisingly for Iced Earth, some noticeable bass licks. The riff @ 2:15 is fucking awesome and then the following solo is even better. Would love to hear this one live. It'd probably suit Stu's voice well.
  6. Desert Rain - And now the best part of the album begins. This song is a classic and should be performed again live. Verses are incredible, particularly the interplay between Schaffer and Greely. The chorus is slightly better when sang by Barlow, but it's solid here too.
  7. Pure Evil - Another classic that should be played every time live, I still haven't been so lucky to hear it :(
  8. Reaching The End - Another awesome little interlude.
  9. Travel In Stygian - Hard to decide between this one and Pure Evil for the best song on the album. I'd give a slight advantage to Pure Evil because Stygian's verses are way better on AIA. Greely does an awesome job otherwise.
Overall: Make sure you listen to the remixed version because the original has awful drum sound. Anyway, tough to decide between this one, Dark Saga and Horror Show for the best Iced Earth album. This one surely has the best riffs and possibly the best lead guitar and bass. Greely is good but he ain't Barlow, but he's still better than Ripper and Gene Adam and honestly... Stu too.
Best song(s): Pure Evil, Travel In Stygian, Desert Rain.

Voted for Damien, Angels Holocaust, The Path I Choose, Before The Vision and Reaching The End.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 21:
Before The Vision - 9 votes
Reaching The End - 9 votes
Mystical End - 7 votes

The self-titled debut album joins the game! Finals are near...

This debut album is truly quite terrible and it's all the fault of the vocalist. The instrumentals are the best things here and it's only because that terrible guy is not singing. I'll spare the title track, Funeral, and When the Night Falls based solely on the re-recorded Barlow version.

Wolf
Stormrider, Path I Choose
Walls, Colors, Sky, Life, Solitude

Life and Death has awesome riffing. Very enjoyable song. This album is a lot better than I remembered.
Lots of cool music. Singer does not make it that terrible at all.

Back