ICED EARTH SURVIVOR 2018: Results -> A Question Of Heaven wins!

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
I agree, "Life and Death" is pretty cool. All in all the debut is a mixed experience - I'm not a fan of Gene Adam's vocals either, and Schaffer's songwriting, despite some strong ideas, isn't as refined as it would become. But the self-titled track, "Life and Death" and obviously "When the Night Falls" are the highlights for me.

Even When the Night Falls suffers from a lack of songwriting - the chorus vocals are incredibly silly and lack melody. The Barlow version actually gives the song a chorus.

That happened later. This is a strong track on its own terms, and probably back then already a highlight in the set as well. It still is a great song and the foundation for whatever Barlow did.

That chorus is already great without vocals even.

3IOivvh.jpg

Credits:
Jon Schaffer - rhythm guitar & vocals - 1st album with the band
Randall Shawver - lead guitar - 1st album with the band
Dave Abell - bass - 1st album with the band
Gene Adam - vocals - 1st album with the band
Mike McGill - drums - 1st album with the band

1. Iced Earth - So this is as good of a song as any to start off IE's career. Guitarists are great, drummer is also doing a commendable job, but the vocalist slaughters this album... He has some good sides to his voice but his screams are too silly and uncontrolled. Somehow though, no one can do this song as good as he did. Kinda glad they stopped playing it live because of that even though it's always cool to hear the beginning of the song live.
  2. Written On The Walls - This song is actually pretty good, apart from the stupid silly screaming by Gene Adam. The instrumental chorus being the highlight of course.
  3. Colors - Riff at 1:45 is pretty good but otherwise a pretty unremarkable song.
  4. Curse The Sky - Another one with some cool parts but ultimately it goes nowhere and it repeats the song title way too much.
  5. Life & Death - Forgettable song that rehashes lots of parts from previous 4 songs.
  6. Solitude - Forgettable interlude.
  7. Funeral - This instrumental has an interesting beginning but otherwise is, again, pretty forgettable.
  8. When The Night Falls - And now the best song on the album. Gene Adam actually does a pretty memorable job here and it took me a while to get used to Barlow's different vocal lines on AIA and DOP. Shame that they always seem to cut off the cool beginning of the song.
Overall: Overall... probably their worst album. The vocalist is definitely the worst, and there's a ton of rehashing and doing the same parts in different songs. Production job is decent though (or that's just the remaster).
Best song(s): When The Night Falls, Iced Earth.

Voted for Damien, Angels Holocaust, Stormrider, The Path I Choose, Colors, Curse The Sky, Life & Death, Solitude and Funeral.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 22:
Solitude - 8 votes
Curse The Sky - 6 votes
Funeral - 6 votes
Written On The Walls - 5 votes
Life & Death - 5 votes

Promoted after Round 22:
Wolf
Damien
Dracula
The Phantom Opera Ghost
Angels Holocaust
Stormrider
The Path I Choose
Desert Rain
Pure Evil
Travel In Stygian
Iced Earth
Colors
When The Night Falls

Finals begin!
There were 45 promoted songs, so I divided them into 3 groups of 15, based on their performance in the Album Rounds.
Group 1 is now in the game.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 24:
The Culling - 6 votes
Behold The Wicked Child - 5 votes
Winter Nights - 5 votes

Group 2 is now in the game.

It's getting tougher, some really strong songs here overall.

I Walk Alone, Come What May, Dark Saga, The Path I Choose

Back