ICED EARTH SURVIVOR 2018: Results -> A Question Of Heaven wins!

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
This is a tough round, because all of these songs are high quality.

Wolf is easily my least favorite here, as the two remaining "weaker" songs from Horror Show (Dragon's Child and Frankenstein) easily beat it. The remaining four from Dystopia are also the best from that album, and I'm constantly torn between Anthem (which is more heartfelt) and Dark City (which is more melodic and Maiden-y).

As for Gettysburg, the second part is very emotional but clearly the weakest of the three. The opening is chilling, but the rest drags on for too long.

Great to see some songs promoted - progress! :)

It's incredibly tough voting for the remaining Horrow Show songs, as they are all very strong, and I'm probably gonna hear for this, but I went:
Dragon's Child
Dracula
The Phantom Opera Ghost

Again, these are amazing songs, mind you, but I just prefer the others.
Also voting for Anthem, Hold at All Costs and High Water Mark

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 14:
Dragon's Child - 6 votes
Frankenstein - 5 votes

Something Wicked This Way Comes joins the game!
Same rules apply to the Something Wicked Trilogy as for the Gettysburg Trilogy.

Anthem
Hold at All Costs, High Water Mark
Dracula
Disciples, Reaping Stone, Prophecy

I almost forgot how solid Something Wicked... is. The only mediocre song is Reaping Stone, then Disciples and Prophecy are "just" average, but the rest are very strong indeed.

1. Anthem
  2. Dark City
  3. Dracula
  4. Burning Times
  5. Melancholy (Holy Martyr)
  6. Disciples Of The Lie
  7. Watching Over Me
  8. Stand Alone
  9. Consequences
  10. My Own Savior
  11. Reaping Stone
  12. 1776

Last edited:
Anthem
Hold At All Costs
Wolf
Melancholy
Disciples
Watching
Stand Alone
My Own Savior
Blessed
Prophecy

I love Reaping Stone. Why? Because like Frankenstein, the rhythm section grooves in a way that Iced Earth normally does not.

V
Dark City
Hold at All Costs
Dracula
The Phantom Opera Ghost
Disciples of the Lie
Stand Alone
My Own Saviour
Reaping Stone

Burning Times - This is their Aces High. Not so much in the energy level or style of song (it's clearly not as high tempo) but in that it's the perfect way to kick off both an Iced Earth album and concert. The main riff is one of their best and it has a great chorus. The final "you are a siiiiiiiiner!" is one of Barlow's best moments.

Melancholy - I think this is the song that really sold me on Iced Earth. It's such a stark contrast from Burning Times in so many ways. These two tracks (and the album as a whole really) show the band's range in these days. Another awesome chorus.

Disciples Of the Lie - After two fairly steady tracks, this song shows that they haven't lost their thrashy roots. If anything, they've improved on that side. This is one of their best thrashers. The organ interlude is totally out of left field. It's great. This is also somehow one of their catchiest songs, despite not relying on melody nearly as much as some of the other material on here.

Watching Over Me - This song has been a bit overexposed but it's still another solid ballad. The short leads in between the verses really make the song IMO. Everything is layered really nicely. Barlow's performance also helps elevate this from being just another ballad. Another awesome chorus. So many great choruses on this album.

Stand Alone - This song has a great lead break and a decent chorus. Other than that it is one of the weaker songs on the album. A bit of a generic thrasher. Total opposite of Disciples of the Lie. It gets a vote.

Consequences - For some reason, this seems to be the forgotten ballad on the album, but it's just as good as Watching Over Me imo. It's much more intimate sounding and the parts are similarly layered extremely well. Love that clean guitar tone. I don't expect it to last long here but I like it a lot. My only complaint is that the heavy guitar solo is totally out of place and unnecessary. You could literally just cut that part out and the song would flow much better. The ending kinda reminds me of A Question Of Heaven.

My Own Savior - Where Stand Alone fails to live up to the band's heavier side, My Own Savior delivers on all fronts. Like Disciples Of the Lie, it manages to combine their aggression with a good sense of melody. There are also a healthy amount of unexpected twists, such as the clean guitars before the chorus and the eastern sounding backing vocals during the chorus. Great riffing too.

Reaping Stone - This has to be the most underrated Iced Earth song. It has such a cool riff and steady beat. Very Dio meets Metallica. Great chorus. It's something different for them.

1776 - Great instrumental, one of the more unique tracks on the album. I just think it is somewhat out of place. Maybe switch it with Blessed Are You or make it the opener. Where it is now it just seems kinda shoehorned in.

Blessed Are You - One more solid ballad. For this band's current track record on ballads, it's hard to believe that this album has four that are very different and very high quality. These four songs show a lot of range as well as a great knack for melody. What happened? Love the way this one builds.

Prophecy - Not a huge fan of the Something Wicked trilogy tbh. By this point in the album I feel a bit burnt out and these songs just seem so detached from everything else. Maybe it would've been better as an EP or something like that. Prophecy is pretty good when it gets going though. Not a huge fan of the first couple minutes but the heavy parts are great.

Birth of the Wicked - Good chorus, but the rest of the song is a bit underwhelming. It gets a vote.

The Coming Curse - This should've been the entire Something Wicked trilogy. It has all the positive qualities of the previous two songs but flows so much better and has a greater impact. It feels like they come up with this first and, for some reason, needed to stretch it into a trilogy. Prophecy is still solid but I feel like this song does everything Propechy does better. Great song.

Because there's a lot of competition here and I have to vote for something, I'm also reluctantly voting for Consequences and Prophecy.

This is my second favorite Iced Earth album. The rocker/ballad formula used here is surprisingly effective. The sequencing only really falls apart toward the end (before the SW trilogy) but that's just a small complaint. The album flows really well for the most part and is probably their most diverse. It's a more straightforward than a lot of their albums but the songwriting is top notch. They (i.e. Schaffer) really learned how to create great Metal songs with this. The riffing, melodies, and leads all come together here. This album really sold me on Iced Earth. I liked what I had heard before but I finally "got" them after hearing Something Wicked. So the album brings back good memories too.

Of course this is also their ballads album. I've made no secret of my disdain for many of Iced Earth's ballads, but somehow they got it right here. I think part of the problem is that these songs created the ballad formula and they never evolved past that. Every ballad since is a recreation of one of the songs here (usually Melancholy or Watching Over Me). But they really got it right the first time.

V
High Water Mark
Disciples of the Lie
Watching Over Me
Stand Alone
Blessed Are You

Something Wicked is the my second favorite IE album even though there's a few mediocre clunkers on it. It might have the highest number of songs on a single album that I rate a 10/10. First two songs are instant classics, last 3 songs are a career high, and I love both Consequences and Reaping Stone.

I honestly have no idea WTF is happening here with Reaping Stone: are you all listening to a different song?! It has catchy, heavy riffs, a killer groove, multiple variations in the tempo and tone, and is more daring than a good majority of Iced Earth's entire catalogue.

Reaping Stone - This has to be the most underrated Iced Earth song. It has such a cool riff and steady beat. Very Dio meets Metallica. Great chorus. It's something different for them.

:applause:

Kk5ORQf.jpg

Credits:
Jon Schaffer - rhythm guitar & vocals - 5th album with the band
Matt Barlow - vocals - 3rd album with the band
Mark Prator - drums - 2nd album with the band
Larry Tarnowski - lead guitar - 1st album with the band
James MacDonough - bass - 1st album with the band

1. Burning Times - I wouldn't really say that this is their Aces High, mainly because this is the best IE concert opener, whereas Aces High isn't Maiden's :p Anyway, kickass song, but much better live, especially on AiA.
  2. Melancholy (Holy Martyr) - One of 4 great ballads on this album. IE on this album has more awesome ballads than some bands have in their entire career. However, this one might be the weakest of those 4 :p
  3. Disciples Of The Lie - Barlow is brutal on this song. Organ interlude is pretty awesome and unexpected for a thrashy song like this one.
  4. Watching Over Me - This song is about Schaffer's childhood friend Bill Blackmon, who died in a motorcycle accident just before Schaffer moved to Florida in 1984 (@Black Wizard, not sure if you heard about that). Lyrics are a bit cheesy but it's still a great song.
  5. Stand Alone - Another thrashy song but not as good as Disciples. Drumming on this song is awesome, as goes for the rest of the album. Mark Prator isn't IE's best drummer (Christy and Jarzombek were better), and might not be iconic as Smedley, but he really left a mark in their discography with his performances on this album and Dark Saga.
  6. Consequences - Most underrated song on this album. One of the two songs from it that was never played live. I think that the heavy guitar solo fits perfectly actually. Also, Barlow kicks ass after that part.
  7. My Own Savior - This one finishes the heavy song-ballad-heavy song pattern of the album in style. Chorus actually might be the weakest part of the song, but the thrashy verses make up for it.
  8. Reaping Stone - This one is by far the weakest song on the album. Never liked it. Riff is lame and the chorus is boring. Also, 2nd song from the album that was never played live
  9. 1776 - A tiny bit repetitive but still a pretty awesome instrumental, clearly inspired by Transylvania.
  10. Blessed Are You - This one is my favorite ballad on the album, however, it's another song that's better on AiA mostly because of the audience participation.
  11. Prophecy - Seems like I'm in the minority when I say that this one is the best song of the trilogy. Build up to that riff at 2:43 is simply incredible. Also, the solo is awesome.
  12. Birth Of The Wicked - Second best song in the trilogy that continues the relentlessness of the heavy part of Prophecy. Barlow is obviously still kicking ass here.
  13. The Coming Curse - Might be most overrated Iced Earth song. There's some great stuff here, but the song is too bloated and ultimately goes nowhere. 90 seconds of a piano intro is too much. Outro is drawn out too. Song goes downhill after the "I AM YOUR ANTICHRIST" part; buildup is great until that part, and it's disappointing that the song returns to the same verse/chorus from the beginning.
Overall: I'm not sure where I'd put this album on the list. Apart from Reaping Stone, all the songs on it are awesome, but the songs aren't as varied as on Horror Show or as epic as on Dark Saga. Still, Top 4 at least.
Best song(s): Prophecy, Birth Of The Wicked, Blessed Are You

I wouldn't really say that this is their Aces High, mainly because this is the best IE concert opener, whereas Aces High isn't Maiden's
Definitely agree that Aces High isn’t Maiden’s best opener but it’s definitely their most iconic mostly because of the live album.

Watching Over Me - This song is about Schaffer's childhood friend Bill Blackmon, who died in a motorcycle accident just before Schaffer moved to Florida in 1984 (@Black Wizard, not sure if you heard about that). Lyrics are a bit cheesy but it's still a great song.
Really? Jon should talk about that more often.

Man, up until now I had no idea what that song was about but this really gives new meaning to the enigmatic lyrics.

Back