ICED EARTH SURVIVOR 2018: Results -> A Question Of Heaven wins!

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
Raven Wing, Ghost Dance
Anthem

Everything left from Crucible except Wicked Child, Gift or a Curse and Come What May

Voted for Great Heathen Army, Raven Wing, V, The Dimension Gauntlet, I Walk Alone (tough but gotta protect my other favorites from Crucible), Harbinger Of Fate (same), Crucify The King and Divide Devour.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 7:
Divide Devour - 10 votes
Harbinger Of Fate - 9 votes
The Dimension Gauntlet - 8 votes
Crucify The King - 8 votes
A Gift Or A Curse - 7 votes

Promoted after Round 7:
Behold The Wicked Child
I Walk Alone
Come What May

Framing Armageddon joins the game!

Bonus song info:

Not in the game:

Honestly, I've thought about not even bothering to include the interludes but some of them blur the line between interlude and proper song and I couldn't decide. It's not a clear situation like, for example, Blind Guardian's Nightfall In Middle-Earth. So let's just annihilate them all in this first round :p

Framing Armageddon is a much, much better album than Crucible, though it's still crushed by almost every album before it. I feel most tracks on this one has a clear identity, unlike Crucible, where every song sounds the same. First IE album I bought, but not the first I heard :)

I don't mind a few of the interludes, but some should've been merged with the "proper" songs, and others could've been cut completely. I feel the album loses a bit of momentum after The Clouding, but I like the organ on The Domino Decree, and When Stars Collide has an okay chorus.

So, voting for Raven Wing, Ghost Dance, Anthem (to get the rest promoted) in addition to Invasion, Reflections, Execution, Order of the Rose, Cataclysm, Infiltrate and Assimilate, Retribution, Something Wicked Part 2, Framing Armageddon and The Awakening.

Framing Armageddon is an utter mess. It's just so unfocused, bloated, and lame that it hurts. That said, it has some of the strongest songs of IE's last 15 years, which makes it stronger than the bland Crucible of Man. The Clouding is a top 10 track, and Setian Massacre, Ten Thousand Strong, and A Charge to Keep are all instant classics (even if the re-recorded Barlow versions are vastly superior). Infiltrate & Assimilate is also quite good. Order of the Rose, Domino Decree, and When Stars Collide are solid, if less than stellar, tracks. The title track has the most epic ending ever, but everything that precedes it is stock and kind of annoying. In general, Ripper's vocals are ludicrously over-tracked on this album

I'm voting for everything else from Framing Armageddon, all of the awful sci-fi SFX tracks and pointless, shitty interludes that consist of some violins and a minor chord arpeggio that we've heard 1,000x before. Also voting Heathen Army, Raven Wing, and V.

Setian Massacre, Ten Thousand Strong, and A Charge to Keep are all instant classics.
Setian Massacre an instant classic? Setian Massacre? A classic? An in-stant classic?
*rubs eyes for five minutes in disbelief* Maaaaaaan, can I have laugh? Give me a break!!

I is still the most emotionless, monotone & repetitive piece Iced Earth e-ver did.
The tone is con-stant-ly the same!

The song goes like this:

Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam.

crap chorus

2 solos

Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam. Paaam pam. Pam pam pam.

crap repetitive chorus

solo

I bet the solo parts were very needed and saved it from being kicked off the album.

Yes! It still goes like that. ;--) When someone calls it an instant classic o_O, some opposition is needed. :)

Compared to the rest of the stuff on that album? Yes, it is a classic because it's actually a song. It has catchy hooks, it has drive, it has a structure, unlike virtual every other track on this Something Wicked 2-fer.

Sure, production is terrible (as it is on the rest of the album) and the drums sound like a machine, but that's simply par for the course with Iced Earth in these days.

I really like this album. This was the first Iced Earth album I listened to in full, and it still holds up really well. It easily crushes Crucible, and I'd take it over everything else that comes afterward, as well.

Ten Thousand Strong and Framing Armageddon just plain kick ass, pure and simple. Setian Massacre and The Clouding are very, very good as well.

Ghost Dance
V
Overture
Invasion
Motivation of Man
A Change to Keep
Execution
Cataclysm
Something Wicked 2
The Awakening

Framing and Crucible are horrible, i can only think of 2 great songs from those albums combined.
Come What May and The Clouding, i somewhat like Crucify the King.

D52A7TK.jpg

Credits:
Jon Schaffer - rhythm guitar, bass & vocals - 8th album with the band
Tim "Ripper" Owens - vocals - 2nd album with the band
Brent Smedley - drums - 1st album with the band
Troy Seele - lead guitar - 1st album with the band
Guests:
Dennis Hayes - bass on 2 songs

1. Overture: Skip. It's overlong. Isn't the outro of the next album a repeat of this too?
  2. Something Wicked, Part 1: Lame title for the first real song of the album. Should've been called "Thy Will Be Done" or something like that. Also the recycling of the lyrics from Prophecy gets on my nerves, especially Ripper's delivery whick sucks out all the life from it. Sad (and weak)! Opening riff is good, verses are shit, pre-chorus and chorus are cool. Would've been better with Barlow though.
  3. Invasion / Motivation Of Man / Setian Massacre: Should've been just one song. The version with Barlow is much better so I'm listening to it instead, because Ripper's droning gets on my nerves. He is a robot and has 0% feel in his singing. Stu also sings this one much better. Motivation Of Man is very cool and Setian Massacre itself obviously kicks ass. It makes my Top 4 of the album.
  4. A Charge To Keep: The version with Barlow is incredible. One of their better ballads.
  5. Reflections: Enjoyable piece of music that really should've been included in a proper song.
  6. Ten Thousand Strong: One of Ripper's brighter moments on this album, mostly because it's a fast song with lots of screaming. It's still cool, although they did go a little overboard with choirs and shit.
  7. Execution: SKIP.
  8. Order Of The Rose: Solid song with a memorable chorus. I do feel like Barlow would sing it way better though.
  9. Cataclysm: SKIP!
  10. The Clouding: Way better with Barlow. Ballad part of the song is incredible and might be the best on the album. The heavy part isn't as good but it's still pretty good, although the ending drags a bit.
  11. Infiltrate & Assimilate: OK song, maybe a bit generic. Also, Ripper's vocals in the verses are awful.
  12. Retribution Through The Ages: This one would've kicked ass with Barlow, otherwise it's just OK.
  13. Something Wicked, Part 2: SKIP!! Another lazy song title.
  14. The Domino Decree: Cool song with way too much Ripper screaming.
  15. Framing Armageddon: Best song on the album. Ripper might be at his best on this song. Ridiculously catchy lyrics, including the verses and the VIOLATE chorus. For once I might say Barlow wouldn't do this one as good as Ripper.
  16. When Stars Collide (Born Is He): Another uber catchy song, except it's kinda repetitive and feels like an outro. Still one of the better songs on the album though.
  17. The Awakening: SKIP!!!

Overall: One of Iced Earth's weakest albums, mostly because of Ripper, too many interludes and a lack of a major epic song, like Come What May.
Best song(s): Framing Armageddon, A Charge To Keep, Setian Massacre, Ten Thousand Strong

Voted for Great Heathen Army, Raven Wing, V, Overture, Something Wicked, Part 1, Invasion, Motivation Of Man, Reflections, Execution, Cataclysm, Infiltrate & Assimilate, Something Wicked, Part 2, The Domino Decree and The Awakening.

Back