How to make a No 1 single........

Albie

Keeping an open eye on the Weeping Angels.
I reckon they are having another go at it - the new single Different World is to be released on the 26th Dec.

Now, it does not take a genius to work out that the week following Christmas is a slow week in record sales. Maiden will sell almost their full quota in the first week or two of any release they do - and nearly always getting a high chart position in the process. Put these two together and you have the potential of Different World getting to No 1. That is exactly how "Bring Your Daughter..." achieved this very feat.

I dare say, most would proclaim that they are not interested in chart positions, but when the above did get to No 1 and knocked off Cliff Richard from his Christmas perch, that was worth the price of the single many times over. I'll never forget what Bruce said when I saw them at Wembley that year:

"We are going to release this single on Christmas eve so we can scare the living shits out of Cliff Richard."

Steady Bruce, you are label mates after all. :D

Oh, and I've pre-ordered the Digital Downloads ready for Boxing day.

I'll probably buy the CD and DVD single (I am a servant to Iron Maiden :()

It's a clever marketing scheme to attract attention for the band.  I just hope they don't become "popular" overnight, although that is unlikely.

Conor said:

It's a clever marketing scheme to attract attention for the band.  I just hope they don't become "popular" overnight, although that is unlikely.

If they were going to become 'popular' overnight, it would have been when they released 'Bring Your Daughter...'; The No Prayer/Fear of the Dark-era was probably their most commercial material.  Their latest releases may be less 'in-your-face' to some, but an intro that lasts longer than most pop songs is not 'popular', by any stretch of the imagination :D

P.S. Someone appears to have kicked you, Conor.  The fools do not know what they deal with, and I shall right their fundamental imbalance by praising you again.  May it be in H's name.

Conor said:
Your a servant? I've already ordered the digital d'loads and still will buy the CD/DVD/Vinyl of Different World. For collection purposes only, mind. ;)

Raven said:
P.S. Someone appears to have kicked you, Conor.  The fools do not know what they deal with, and I shall right their fundamental imbalance by praising you again.  May it be in H's name.
Those who kick/praise Conor/IronDuke shall fear the wrath of H (and 'Arry).

I'm not going to buy any format of 'Different World' just because the artwork sucks, even as for the 7"; what an aweful Eddie...

Cosmiceddie said:
I'm not going to buy any format of 'Different World' just because the artwork sucks, even as for the 7"; what an aweful Eddie...

Good to see you've got your priorities right in a music forum. -_-

Cosmiceddie said:
I will buy any kind of release provided it features previously unreleased material. Live material is of great potential interest but I'm definitely fed up with live versions of The trooper, Iron Maiden or The number of the beast etc...
Studio unreleased tracks are the best Bsides (even fillers like "More Tea Vicar"). This what the guys used to do in the good old days........when singles used to sell well and led to important cash inflows.
vieux-smiley.gif

Raven said:

You leave Cosmiceddie alone. He's one of the finest and most intelligent people on this forum. His reasons are not to be questioned.

Raven said:

Well, I feel an urge to clear myself now. To begin with, I already have 'Different World' on the album. Besides, all live tracks on all the formats are versions of songs I've already have on countless other sound carriers or I'll be hearing on the forthcoming live CD and DVD of the current tour anyway (I think it's pretty safe to say that there will be something like this, won't there?). So what's the use in buying three or four different formats of the same single then except for pushing it into the charts? Let me tell you that although I'm a Maiden vinyl and poster collector I don't feel an urge to buy them even if there's that vinyl 7". However, the artwork is so bad in my view I just don't fancy getting it. I'm a huge fan of Eddie and I'd like to get as many different pictures of him as possible, yet the artworks have become rather weak in the last 11 years I must state. There is an exception, namely the 'Reincarnation of B.B.' vinyl sleeve which looks pretty good, though. I even bought the vinyl edition of the new album because of the picture discs even though I'm not fond of the cover artwork. You may argue that I'm a Maiden fan because of their Eddie artworks only and that I'm probably not into the music that much. I can assure you that this is not the case. There's just no denying the fact that Maiden would never have become so big and wealthy without Eddie and I keep holding that but for Derek Riggs the band would never have earned so much money as they don't do this by selling records but selling all those merchandising things, do they? To close the book, it's still me who decides whether to buy or not anything they release (I preferred buying the 'Run for Cover' book). How about you, do you buy anything which Iron Maiden is written on?
SinisterMinisterX said:
You leave Cosmiceddie alone. He's one of the finest and most intelligent people on this forum. His reasons are not to be questioned.

Wrong...I'm not intelligent at all. There are so many academic people in here I sometimes feel that I'm kind of misplaced and that I don't really belong here. But then this is all about Iron Maiden and not about being brainy, is it?

Cosmiceddie said:
Wrong...I'm not intelligent at all. There are so many academic people in here I sometimes feel that I'm kind of misplaced and that I don't really belong here. But then this is all about Iron Maiden and not about being brainy, is it?

Mate, being intelligent and being academic are two completely different things...

Perun said:
Mate, being intelligent and being academic are two completely different things...

Well stated. There is a big difference between knowledge and wisdom.

Yax said:
Well stated. There is a big difference between knowledge and wisdom.

:p

Anyway, I haven't made my mind up yet about buying the single. Most likely I will though, if only to help it up the charts and to get hold of their covers. We'll see.

Yup, it was released in the US first for some strange reason. I think its January 1 in Europe (correct me if I'm wrong). Perhaps it was a friendly gesture to make up for not touring that extensively in the US? :blink:

... Or perhaps Maiden and co. know that the North American market seems more obsessed with singles than Europe.  (At least that is my impression). 

I do not care for singles, to be perfectly honest.

I'm guessing you're not going to be buying the Different World single then, Genghis Khan. :smartarse:

Nope.

If they released covers or original b-side songs I'd get it then.  I don't see a point in having another live version of 'The Trooper' or 'Hallowed Be Thy Name' etc.

Also ever since I was about 20 I started to really dislike how only a certain type of song is released as a single, i.e. short song with/without a simple structure.  Even 'The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg' is typical in the sense that the riffs are almost AC/DC like in their simplicity.  (I'm not saying it is a bad song -- far from it).  Maybe when I'm an old man, radio will start playing songs like 'Brighter Than a Thousand Suns' on the airwaves.  I won't hold my breath.  The only good thing about singles is that they may introduce a new fan, which is what happened to me with 'The Wickerman'.

Apparently the b-sides on this single are not going to be yet another version of a classic. At least thats what I gathered from the extra on the limited edition AMOLAD.

They have already been revealed Natalie.  Depending on the different pressings (7" vinyl, download, cd, dvd) you get different b-sides (including a cover).  See the official website for more details :smartarse:

That is a good start.  Still, I think that the boys will re-release these live cuts in a super double CD due out soon.  'Fear of the Dark' ROCK IN RIO, anyone?

I apologize if I sound like a cynic.  That is not my intention.

Back