How many records did Iron Maiden sell worldwide?

Dantif3r

Prowler
I know that on wikipedia it says over 70 million, but im not sure about this number.. I find the Discography (also on wikipedia) is sort of inaccurate..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_maiden_discography

I thought Iron Maiden was always bigger in Europe (Mostly the UK) then in the States. So why does it seem like they sold more in the States according to the Discography found on Wikipedia? If you look at the record certifications, Powerslave, Somewhere in Time, and Seventh Son all recieved Platinum in the United States, while in the UK they only earned Gold. Not only that, but if you look at the sales thresholds it takes A LOT less records to earn platinum in UK then the US, (In the US you need to sell 1 million while in the UK you need to sell at least 300,000) so it brings up the question whether all of this is even accurate. Steve Harris said himself in one of my books I have that Americans just dont appreciate the Maiden music like the Englishmen do, or something like that (He was talking about the release of the Seventh Son album I believe) Why would he say that if the record sold more in the states? I would go look back and quote him  but Im too lazy.. B)

Can anyone shine light on this? I may be completely missing something here, but something just isnt adding up.. I always thought Maiden was WAY bigger in the UK and sold more in the UK

Ahhh! I found out a possible reason for everything I complained above!  :p

It has to do with population.. UK's population is about one fifth the size of USA's. Therefore less people to buy the album in the UK. But I still dont understand Steves comment in my book then, he wouldnt get pissed at the americans if the album sold more in their country then in his own.

I will quote him from my book, if anyone is rly interested

No way! How on earth could they have sold 6 albums in 28 years?! Even Michael Jackson didn't have such high rates!

Reumeren said:
Any reason why no one takes the first post serious? It's not like it's a bad question.

You're right, but it has been done before and a little searching would dig up the old thread. Oh. 6.5, I bought half of Virtual XI on iTunes...

I've bought them all, a few more than once. Let's say 20-something here when you count live albums and DVDs.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I'm the only guy in Colorado who has bought Maiden albums.

No, wait, I have one buddy who bought Fear of the Dark once. But we're the only 2 from Colorado.

Worldwide, I think we have to admit that Maiden has probably sold around 200 albums by now. :bigsmile:

Do compilations count?  Because the Duke bought The Essential Iron Maiden once.

I did read it as simply 200, but as we are discussing record sales, I assumed you left the 'million' out, as it was obvious we were talking about that scale. At least it was obvious to me :)

Well then pilau, this is your first instance of witnessing us taking a thread apart by sheer madness!  :yey:

Perun said:
Well then pilau, this is your first instance of witnessing us taking a thread apart by sheer madness!   :yey:

I guess so, Per, but where are we going to get a cheesecake and a ballet dancer in the middle of the night? NARF!

Brilliant, pilau. Wait - what about we use a plan that works?

How about we use Maiden to take over the world? They already made half-way, now all we have to do is combine our names to their songs, like: 'Per took yer life and pilau too!' or '2! Minutes! To pilau!' or even 'Perun High'! We can also do 'Per and pilau are gonna getcha no matter how far!' You gotta love that one! And then we'll have are own army of Maiden fanatics! Muahahahaha!!

This is true. In fact, by my shady mathematics and questionable calculations I can hardly conclude they are only 7 albums away from complete and total world domination!

Of course those 7 albums will have to be sold in tape format for the plan to work.....

Back