High Expectations - what about you?

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
I don't know about you guys, but the expectations seem to be very high with the new Maiden record.
I have become a fan after No Prayer came out, so talking about my own expectations, I can only compare with the releases of FOTD, TXF, VXI, BNW and DOD.

It might have to do with the way the band and Rod and Kevin have been presenting the record. Giving so early all the credits and songtitles helps a lot.

Here follows the top-4, which bring me the highest expectations of a Maiden record ever. :)

- 1: I have always thought that most long (let's say 7-min and longer) songs in the Maiden catalog are very good. For me personally, there are only a few exceptions. The Angel and The Gambler and No More Lies come to mind. On this album there are many long songs!

- 2: Adrian Smith wrote a lot of material for this album. Ok, Wildest Dreams and New Frontier were no classics, but Paschendale is ! And on the next album, again we can expect long songs !

- 3:  Rod: Of course l always have thought some of our albums are stronger than others, as one would, but that varies person to person. What l found difficult first time with this was that there was no real standout track - because they are all so strong, so well played, so interesting and so well arranged. Every time you play it you get more into it and find a new favourite. And there are no fillers. On most of our albums l have thought a certain track was weaker, although l would sometimes find it was someone else's favourite. We all have differing tastes. On this one it really is a fantastic ride for the whole 70min plus, and l always get off most on the long tracks where the band can really extend themselves musically - and there are loads of long tracks on this album. Also the sound quality is stunning presumably as its now Kevin's third album with us and it just gets better as the band and Kevin get to know each other more and work more instinctively. This was recorded fairly quickly - we finished well before the expected time - and that's partly because its so live. l guarantee it, you are gonna love it. But l suppose l would say that wouldn't l, but believe me its true.

-4: Said bassist Steve Harris, "This is a very intense album in many ways, and we really wanted to go with a lead track that demonstrated that in the best way rather than going for a shorter track on the album just to please the chart rules. 'Benjamin Breeg' is a great example of the feel of the album in its really heavy riff and lyrically it's a very dark, atmospheric and powerful song which really epitomizes what the album is all about for us. So it made a natural choice for us."

-----------

Great to know that we also might expect a good single and not something like Wildest Dreams (worst single ever with Dickinson on vocals).

Anyway, I'd like to know from all of you, what are your expectations? Higher, lower, the same as always?
Greets and thanks !

Well, I try not to get excited about this new album. Why? Because I probably won't be able to buy this album for a few years. Why? Because my dad thinks most my music is satanic, and doesn't want people at his church (he's a minister) to think I listen to satanic music, so I can't buy albums with skeletons or demons or anything like that on it.

But if I could, then I would try to avoid reading any of the early reviews or spoilers so that I wouldn't have any expectations at all, and I could just listen to the album without thinking whether this album is going to live up to the hype or not. 

download it on itunes or something. The music isn't satanic at all (even number of the beast) and with no cd artwork, no one has to judge the music based on its imaginative art.

Each album will be bigger and better than the last I suppose :innocent:

I'm looking forward to it, but as far as the hype and expectations... none really. I just hope it's a good record and since it is Maiden it most likely will be.

Onhell said:
I'm looking forward to it, but as far as the hype and expectations... none really. I just hope it's a good record and since it is Maiden it most likely will be.

Where there's hope, there's expectations. ;-)

Forostar said:

You really have to sneak up on the new album, so that your brain doesn't realise that you're thinking about it until you've already listened to it; this way, you don't form preconceptions and don't get dissapointed.  It helps to think very loudly about other bands, and not to look at the album as you buy it. :ok:

as some said earlier,  the albums get better and better with every release,  so we should be in for a fu.... brilliant album,  at least i think so,  can't wait for September -_-

Forostar said:

To an extent yes, I expect it to be a good album. But am I spending every waking hour thinking about it? wondering how the songs will sound? what majestic solo's they have whipped up this time? How the three guitars will intertwine and will Nicko say something retarded after or before a song?.... No. In fact the only time I think of the album is when I visit this board and read threads such as these. So to be exact my "expectations" are rather low.

Edward T Harris said:
as some said earlier,  the albums get better and better with every release,  so we should be in for a fu.... brilliant album,  at least i think so,  can't wait for September -_-
I said that as a joke... a potshot at the record companies and PR agents who hype up evertyhing.  I can't believe people actually believe that drivel :huh:

I can't wait for this record! I know it will be incredible, it is maiden you know! The cover is freakin fantastic and the song titles are just as good. If the music lives up to everything else we have nothing to worry about.

I kinda wish for more galloping like back in the old days but there recent stuff with less galloping is just as good.

2Minutes2Midnight said:
I can't wait for this record!

You're only the 16483rd to say that... so far!

2Minutes2Midnight said:
I know it will be incredible

Got any source for that?

2Minutes2Midnight said:
it is maiden you know!

No shit?!

2Minutes2Midnight said:
The cover is freakin fantastic and the song titles are just as good.

That's a matter of taste, you know.

2Minutes2Midnight said:
If the music lives up to everything else we have nothing to worry about.

Now, I'm quite worried...

2Minutes2Midnight said:
I kinda wish for more galloping like back in the old days but there recent stuff with less galloping is just as good.

Only one mistake. A common one among (supposedly) native English-speakers too! Keep working on it.
Anyway, to you want a cross between 'Run To The Hills' and 'Journeyman'? That could be interesting!

Thanks for your contribution anyway...  :innocent:

Maverick said:
Only one mistake. A common one among (supposedly) native English-speakers too! Keep working on it.
Anyway, to you want a cross between 'Run To The Hills' and 'Journeyman'? That could be interesting!
How ironic :rolleyes:

Welcome to the forum 2Minutes...  don't let Mav's grilling get to you.  He does it with every newbie here :)

Child of the Grave said:
Well, I try not to get excited about this new album. Why? Because I probably won't be able to buy this album for a few years. Why? Because my dad thinks most my music is satanic, and doesn't want people at his church (he's a minister) to think I listen to satanic music, so I can't buy albums with skeletons or demons or anything like that on it.

But if I could, then I would try to avoid reading any of the early reviews or spoilers so that I wouldn't have any expectations at all, and I could just listen to the album without thinking whether this album is going to live up to the hype or not. 

How old are you?

Maverick said:
You're only the 16483rd to say that... so far!

I care why?

Maverick said:
Got any source for that?

Simply my input? It's what I think.. get it?

Maverick said:
No shit?!

Yea No Shit, Maiden always makes good records.

Maverick said:
That's a matter of taste, you know.

Yea, No Shit. I like the Album cover, thats my opinion.

Maverick said:
Now, I'm quite worried....

That's good for you, it all goes back that "taste" you were talking about.

Maverick said:
Anyway, to you want a cross between 'Run To The Hills' and 'Journeyman'? That could be interesting!....

Sorry my grammar skills aren't pr0 enuf for you.

Maverick said:
Thanks for your contribution anyway...   :innocent:....

Thanks for your lame and useless post all about my lame and useless post.

Conor said:
He does it with every newbie here :)

Actually, I don't. Only to those who deserve it.

As for the typo, I suppose it's pecauz aye speek too mötsch Tschörman!   ^_^
2Minutes2Midnight said:
Thanks for your lame and useless post all about my lame and useless post.

No problem. Try not to make the same mistake in the future.  :rolleyes:

How are we supposed to get more members when you scare most of them off Mav?  When the IMBB closed down, RW released a statement saying we shouldn't intimidate the newcomers but that's exactly what you're doing.  Grow up :rolleyes:

I should've know right after my first post, some n00b would waste his time flaming me for no reason. This board is just like the old official maiden board.  :rolleyes:

Conor said:
How are we supposed to get more members when you scare most of them off Mav?  When the IMBB closed down, RW released a statement saying we shouldn't intimidate the newcomers but that's exactly what you're doing.  Grow up :rolleyes:

Do you want quantity over quality?  I think they made a new forum for that somewhere...   :innocent:

Back