Helloween & Gamma Ray

Hear! Hear! We would need to have Kai doing playback ala Michael Kiske at the start of the Helloween reunion tour though, otherwise it could be insufferable.
I haven’t listened to any recent live pre-Beck vids from Gamma Ray, so I guess I didn’t know he’d fallen off that much. He still sounded great (for Kai) when I saw them in 2006, and almost as good in 2008. Oh well.

Of all lineups, 1995????? Kai/Dirk/Henjo/Dan is the only one I care about.
That’s 1997. 1995 had Dirk on guitar, Jan Rubach on bass and Thomas Nack on drums. It also produced the band’s best studio album, IMO. The only reason the line-up changed was because Dirk wanted to switch back to bass, so the rhythm section left.

That’s 1997. 1995 had Dirk on guitar, Jan Rubach on bass and Thomas Nack on drums. It also produced the band’s best studio album, IMO. The only reason the line-up changed was because Dirk wanted to switch back to bass, so the rhythm section left.
Actually, Jan Rubach had initially considered switching to guitar. But eventually him and Thomas Nack left to do their own project.

By the way, the new Helloween DVD is a boon. Christmas came earlier this year.

Kai/Dirk/Henjo/Dan is the only one I care about.
Granted, this line-up was the most popular, especially because the late 90s was a period of rebirth for speed metal. However, while the previous line-ups only released one album each, this one only released one great album (Powerplant - ok three if we count BFTP and the live album SITK). SOIS contains a lot of fillers and the less said about the 2000s output, the better. My point is: it is difficult to compare line-ups in Gamma Ray because there is only one of them that has released more than one studio album. ;) (GR with or without Ralf Scheepers is not the same -no matter whether we prefer the band with or without him)

Last edited:
I was never that into Helloween altought I think the Keeper of the Seven Keys albums are excellent, but this new live release is absolutely brilliant! I'm looking forward to the new album they are releasing next year, and hopefully there will be a tour as well. Would love to see them live.

Which albums other than Keeper 1 and 2 would people recommend? From what I understand the other albums with Kiske aren't any good.

Which albums other than Keeper 1 and 2 would people recommend? From what I understand the other albums with Kiske aren't any good.
'The Time of the Oath' and 'Better Than Raw' from the 90s both have a bunch of food songs on them. My favourite non-Kiske Helloween album is 'Gambling With the Devil' from 2007. It's probably where they peaked with Andi Deris on vocals.

I was never that into Helloween altought I think the Keeper of the Seven Keys albums are excellent, but this new live release is absolutely brilliant! I'm looking forward to the new album they are releasing next year, and hopefully there will be a tour as well. Would love to see them live.

Walls of Jericho (pre-Kiske) and Master of the Rings (post-Kiske).

Walls of Jericho, The Time of the Oath, The Dark Ride and Gambling With The Devil.

If you want a good vision of the first two with Andi Deris, get High Live (1996). Live on 3 Continents (2005) is sleeker but also interesting to have an insight in the (rather unstable) 2001-2005 period.

An interesting comparison:
To be fair, I'd have to include Kai's later version on Gamma Ray's Skeletons in the Closet but I can't find it online.

Kiske is a much better singer than Kai (understatement of the year! :lol: ), but I think that Kai's voice did work really well in the early material. :edmetal::edmetal:

Edit: I would choose the version off Walls of Jericho.

Last edited:
Kai Hansen is a good vocalist,a great guitar player and an awesome composer. ¿What they mean on that he ruined Walls of Jerycho??

Back