Helloween & Gamma Ray

It might not be power metal, but this shit should've been a bonafied radio hit
What songs in particular do you think should have fared better on the radio and/or in the band's legacy?

On the corresponding tour, they actually played a lot from it so, at one moment, they actually believed in the record. ;)

I've just found this (it is about time). One of the most underrated, and difficult, Helloween song. Nicely covered (feat. Blaze Bayley, Ripper Owens and Arjen Lucassen among others) :)

So after being a fair weather Helloween fan for years, I decided to listen to Chameleon for the first time this evening. It might not be power metal, but this shit should've been a bonafied radio hit. I can't find any fault with it other than "it's different." This is a fantastic and varied rock album!

My thoughts on it exactly, my favorite is Crazy Cat lol. Love the horn section.

The best Helloween album is Keeper Of The Seven Keys: Part 1 (though being only 6 songs).

Part 2 is also great, but it has one awful filler - Rise And Fall (Save Us is a much better song).

Helloween will release a live album and DVD from the reunion tour: ''United Alive'' is expected to be released in October this year.

They are also confirmed for Rock In Rio 2019 (they will play right after Maiden and Scorpions).

Last edited:
Hmm. I’ve always been much more of a Gamma Ray person than a Helloween person, so this all seems like a grand distraction to me. Give me a good Gamma Ray album with Kai still on vocals, please. It’s been 14 years since the last great Gamma Ray album, but “Avalon” was in the right ballpark...

I'd say 20. ;)

I'd say that by the time they released Power Plant they were sounding somewhat monotonous, albeit with some really good bits.

That being said, I really thank Gamma Ray, Stratovarius, Angra et al. for being a breath of fresh air in a time when classic bands like Maiden and Priest were sounding tired and really past their sell-by-date.

Pink Cream 69, stupid band name but strong live band. Andi Deris was in the first line-up (and on the first three albums).

Saw them in 1996, opening for Skunkworks and Helloween (by then Deris was already in Helloween).

Helloween in 1994 on German television (superb playback drumming, looks very good :) ):

Last edited:
Back