Helloween & Gamma Ray

Do this with a friend, preferably a patient person you see often (e.g. once a week) and who does not know the material. It's cool to see the friend's reaction and for yourself it's also nice to hear lots of songs again:

A while back I listened to all Helloween songs (bonus tracks, b-sides included) with my friend, who did not know 99% of the material. It took us a few months and it included many relistenings to be sure which he likes best and in which order. Some songs were played three or even four times. Thorough stuff.

This is his top 30 (non album tracks in blue):

01 Halloween Keeper of the Seven Keys part 1 1987
02 Creatures in Heaven My God-Given Right 2015
03 Pleasure Drone Keeper of the Seven Keys The Legacy 2005
04 March of Time Keeper of the Seven Keys part 2 1988
05 Victim of Fate Helloween 1985
06 The Dark Ride The Dark Ride 2000
07 I Want Out Keeper of the Seven Keys part 2 1988
08 A Handful of Pain Better Than Raw 1998
09 Giants Chameleon 1993
10 I'm Alive Keeper of the Seven Keys part 1 1987
= = = = = = =
11 Phantoms of Death Walls of Jericho 1985
12 Steel Tormentor The Time of the Oath 1996
13 Dreambound Gambling With the Devil 2007
14 Eagle Fly Free Keeper of the Seven Keys part 2 1988
15 The Time of the Oath The Time of the Oath 1996
16 World of Fantasy 7 Sinners 2010
17 Walk Your Way The Time of the Oath 1996
18 Before the War The Time of the Oath 1996
19 Raise the Noise 7 Sinners 2010
20 Deliver Us From Temptation The Dark Ride 2000
21 Run With the Pack Pink Bubbles Go Ape 1992
22 Warrior Helloween 1985
23 Where the Rain Grows Master of the Rings 1994
24 I Can Better Than Raw 1998
25 Dr. Stein Keeper of the Seven Keys part 2 1988
= = = = = = =
26 Save Us Keeper of the Seven Keys part 2 1988
27 Soul Survivor Master of the Rings 1994
28 Someone's Crying Pink Bubbles Go Ape 1992
29 Silent Rain Keeper of the Seven Keys The Legacy 2005
30 Twilight of the Gods Keeper of the Seven Keys part 1 1987

nothing from
  • Rabbit Don't Come Easy (2003)
  • Straight Out of Hell (2013)
  • Judas (1986)

I agree. Still, the more I listen to Keeper 3 (Legacy), the more I think it is a great album overall.

That is the last Helloween album I purchased. I got the Studio, live and DVD versions lol. Haven't bothered with them or Gamma Ray since (Majestic in the case of Gamma Ray)

Do this with a friend, preferably a patient person you see often (e.g. once a week) and who does not know the material. It's cool to see the friend's reaction and for yourself it's also nice to hear lots of songs again:

A while back I listened to all Helloween songs (bonus tracks, b-sides included) with my friend, who did not know 99% of the material. It took us a few months and it included many relistenings to be sure which he likes best and in which order. Some songs were played three or even four times. Thorough stuff.

This is his top 30 (non album tracks in blue):...

Patient friend indeed! lol An even more amazing feat considering a lot from Time of the Oath and Master of the Rings is good, yet forgetable lol. Your friend has a unique taste as my list would be radically different, very interesting experiment.

Hahaha, I was going to say, considering all the lawsuits Maiden is in, Gamma Ray isn't far behind

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/helloween/2018/concord-music-hall-chicago-il-23e9b48b.html

Got back from a great time in Chicago! Since Helloween is only playing about five cities in America on this tour, we flew from Houston to Chicago to see this (possibly) once in a lifetime show. All 3 singers in one tour?! No way we could miss this! The band did not disappoint. All 3 sounded like their voices have not aged and all seemed to get along great on stage.

There were a few glitches early on where the screen behind the band was not working, but it was fixed and added to the night very well.

enjoyed Kai's medley a lot. This the first time I have seen Andi sing and I enjoyed his material live (Perfect Gentleman & Waiting For the Thunder especially). But for me, Michael was the real treat! My youth was spent playing KOT7K pt 1 & 2 on endless repeat so to finally see a headline show with him leading is a dream come true. For me, the song KOT7K was the highlight of the night for me (my favorite Helloween song)

This was my first time at Concord Music Hall. Cool layout. Unless you stand behind a column, not a bad view in the place. Only complaint is they made the fans (like me) who had tickets on hold at will call wait in a LONG line outside, but let those with printed tickets walk right in! Because of this we missed 1st few minutes of the opening track. Oh well; will know better if I ever return.

For those who have never been to Chicago, September was a great month to visit. Paralyzing cold has not started yet & the summer heat has passed. Weird but nice seeing large downtown right next to a beach (shore of Lake Michigan). Walked about 6 miles the day of the show exploring...and then the show was SRO! Damn my dogs were barking!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/o2At9z9XWX4YkWNG8

Last edited:
Bands brought to their correct proportions.
51459428_10156105100678907_5825791312145678336_n.jpg

Last edited:
So after being a fair weather Helloween fan for years, I decided to listen to Chameleon for the first time this evening. It might not be power metal, but this shit should've been a bonafied radio hit. I can't find any fault with it other than "it's different." This is a fantastic and varied rock album!

Back