Have you heard, have you heard? Iron Maiden and quotes

Murder of Rue Morgue

They're never gonna find me!
I have not found any topic like this. I may be mistaken, if so, I apologize.

Every composer is inspired by other composers and, occasionally, writes music more or less similar to what he likes and inspires him.
Rush included an excerpt from 1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky in 2112.
Led Zeppelin, it would be pointless to say.
Italian composer Ottorino Respighi wrote his Ancient Airs and Dances (Suite no. 3), based on Renaissance and Baroque themes.
Bach is suspected of having drawn themes of Christe: trio en passacaille by French composer André Raison into his well-known Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor (anyway, it is undisputed that he was heavily inspired by Pachelbel and Buxtehude).

But, more generally, quoting from ancestors is the most common thing you can find in literary history and history of art.
The majority of Greek poetry, not necessairly heroic, quotes (either directly or indirectly) from Homer.
The majority of Mediaeval poetry, not only in Latin, quotes from Vergilius.
The majority of Italian poetry until XIX cen. quotes from or is inspired by Dante.

Iron Maiden are, obviously, no exception. So, starting from the infamous Hallowed Be Thy Name vs. Life's a Shadow affair:

Mark my words my soul lives on
Please don't worry cause I've have gone
I've gone beyond to see the truth

(which, obviously, connects to the The Nomad vs. Life's a Shadow affair)

and the more recent The Red and the Black vs. Uriah Heep's I Hear Voices, have you ever noticed clear sources for Iron Maiden music? Lyrics, riffs, melodies, progressions, anything goes!

Here's a few:

Wishbone Ash's Warrior vs. Iron Maiden's The Aftermath

Genesis' Supper's Ready vs. Iron Maiden's Sign of the Cross: Six saintly shrouded men move across the lawn slowly / The seventh walks in front with a cross held high in hand

Finally, I don't think it's more than a funny coincidence... but listen to this song by Italian singer Lucio Battisti: Pensieri e Parole.

In Simon And Garfunkel's The Boxer, the "Lie la Lie" part always reminds me of a riff in Revelations.

The Wicker Man vs Priest's Running Wild

The intro of Running Free is a reference to Radar Love by the Golden Earring. (offcourse, Steve is a big fan)
Nice thread btw!

Last edited:
Back