9. "The Parchment" Harris 12:39
J
D
J
A
J
A

10. "Hell on Earth" Harris 11:19
D (as if J precedes this but feels too short to be a solo)
A
J

Last edited:
Foro, when you’re done listening check out Kevin Shirleys Facebook page, he posted his notebook with confirmation about the solos.

re: Kevin's notes.

I might have that outro solo right in The Writing on the Wall. @matic22 I'm afraid you got that wrong.

However, Shirley's notes are not that entirely practical though. But a good addition. Sometimes, when someone plays more than 1 solo, Kevin just puts 1 check mark under that person's name. And he does not give any info on The Parchment.

I think he made mistakes as well. E.g. he says OUT (outro?) under Janick in Darkest Hour, while I was pretty sure that was Dave.

(Edit: this part I said about Darkest Hour is not correct)

Last edited:
Ha, thanks Kevin!

I got that outro solo right in
The Writing on the Wall
. @matic22 you were wrong.
It's H too... There are 2 distinctive different feels and tones during those fills. One tone is unmistakably Janick (more distortion, less heavy touch). The other is a single coil with a heavier touch (could be only H).

When they play it live, you'll see ;) .

Last edited:
Okay. Only Janick has OUT in Kevin's notes though. But he may not be correct. Let us hope they play it the same as on the album.

The title track I think is
A/D/J/A
The Time Machine I have written
J?/D/J. The first solo confused me, I thought it could be Adrian. And I guess it is.
Regarding Darkest Hour's final chorus
Surely that's Janick?

The title track I think is
A/D/J/A
The Time Machine I have written
J?/D/J. The first solo confused me, I thought it could be Adrian. And I guess it is.
Regarding Darkest Hour's final chorus
Surely that's Janick?
Time Machine has Adrian on the whammy pedal. And yeah Darkest Hour end is Jan.

Probably "out" means that he only plays the fills on the outro. As is the case on Darkest Hour, but there it's only Jan.
Wow, I guess you (and Kevin of course) are right. Lots of feel and very controlled by Janick.

Wow, I guess you (and Kevin of course) are right. Lots of feel and very controlled by Janick.
Yeah, his tone is undeniable. I thought it was Dave at first as well due to the style of it, Jan really nailed on that one. Hope they play it live.

It's H too... There are 2 distinctive different feels and tones during those fills. One tone is unmistakably Janick (more distortion, less heavy touch). The other is a single coil with a heavier touch (could be only H).
I still say no. Typical Janick identity, even. Every segment. They may not have the same volume, could be a mixing thing, maybe they recorded several takes and chose the best. Still one and the same Janick if you ask me.

And it does not make sense to alternate those bits there.

I may be proven wrong and surely will admit that, if that may happen.

And who knows I'll hear Adrian too before hearing it live. But not now.

Last edited:
So, if heard well ...

Adrian plays (a) solo(s) on 9 songs.
Dave plays (a) solo(s) on 8 songs.
Janick plays (a) solo(s) on 8 songs.

* rubs eyes *
Seems my prediction about many Janick solos was correct :)

My favorite solos are:

Adrian - Senjutsu (his 2nd solo), TWOTW, LIALW, Darkest Hour and Hell On Earth

Dave - TWOTW, The Time Machine, Darkest Hour, DOTC and The Parchment

Janick - Stratego, The Time Machine, DOTC and The Parchment (all of his solos)

Somehow I have counted seven solos on The Parchment, but the order is the same as listed in the opening post. Six solos has to be the most they have had in one song?

Dave's solo is long. Perhaps you thought they were two solos.

Yes, this is probably a record.
I have two Adrian solos back to back written down. Not sure what I was thinking. One of the fun parts of a new Maiden album is figuring out who plays what.

The Thin Line has quite a few solos as well, but less than this?

An interesting thing... In the "IM use" section... There is "PRS Guitars". Which is interesting. It says specifically guitars.

Now, if I had to bet, I'd say that H used a PRS 12-string on Hell On Earth and Darkest Hour.

Also, even the solos sound better on CD through big speakers. They seem quite muddy to me on YT.

Back