Guess The Iron Maiden Song!

So, Eddie did three things in '90 - rose from the grave (NPFTD cover), gave into his lust (BYDTTS single cover) and burned TVs with either an eye (surveillance) or televangelists (Holy Smoke single cover).
I'd say the latter is important here.

Sabaton did In the Name of God on their Attero Dominatus in '06, a song concerned with religious terrorism.

The Police had O My God on Synchronicity in '83, one of Sting's anti-religious rants (BTW if, then All This Time from his solo career is much catchier, IMHO)

"Hey JC, JC, would you die for me?" is an ironic crowd lyric from Lloyd Webber's Jesus Christ Superstar.

Don't remember what Bruce wrote on The Chemical Wedding already, but there's definitely gonna be something anti-religious... Maybe Trumpets of Jericho? (the idea of "the God that failed"?)

... "God that failed" ... Hmmm...

"A misunderstanding of the exploration age (fuckers)." - this alone would make me say "Run to the Hills", but it doesn't fit the rest.

However, there is a lyric in The Talisman - "We pray to God that we won't die"... whereas, IIRC, the POV character does die in the end.

That might be connected with Black Star - the album and song where Bowie confronted his own mortality, just before his death?

So, The Talisman?

So, Eddie did three things in '90 - rose from the grave (NPFTD cover), gave into his lust (BYDTTS single cover) and burned TVs with either an eye (surveillance) or televangelists (Holy Smoke single cover).
You missed a fourth:

Here's my guess tonight
Hopefully it's right
Tailgunner?
Is it Tailgunner?

You missed a fourth:

Here's my guess tonight
Hopefully it's right
Tailgunner?
Is it Tailgunner?

Oh, you're right, that completely changes everything.

So, you're gunning for her tail, right? You mean, "playing in the mud"? "Entering the exit door"? "Uphill gardening"? "Knocking at the back door"?

"Bite the pillow make no sound"...

BRING YOUR DAUGHTER TO THE SLAUGHTER IT IS! I KNEW IT!

Powerslave
Correct!

Each clue correlates to a line in “Powerslave”.

Clue #1: Hey JC, JC, would you die for me?
> “Into the abyss I fall…” — James Cameron, director of The Abyss, nearly drowned on set.

Clue #2: Charlotte’s divine new occupation.
> “The Eye of Horus.” This was a stupid cheeky joke about how the pronunciation of “Horus” starts with “whore”.

Clue #3: The Police did it in ‘83.
> “Watching me go.” Just like the Police song “Every Breath You Take” (I’ll be watching you.)

Clue #4: The human mattress did it in ‘86.
> “…in this temple.” A reference to The Golden Girls, in which Sofia calls Blanche a ‘human mattress’ in one episode. Another iconic moment from Season 1 comes when Blanche says she treats her body like a temple, and Sofia retorts, “Yeah, open day and night.”

Clue #5: Black star.
> “Risen again.” Like the biblical figure Lazarus, the name sake of a David Bowie song from the album Blackstar.

Clue #6: You can debate it all you like, but that doesn’t change the truth.
> The concept of the song embedded in the chorus. You can’t run from the certainty of death.

Clue #7: Rammstein did it thrice in ‘22.
> “When I was living this lie, fear was my game.” Two songs off Rammstein’s latest album correlate with this line, “Lügen” (lies) and “Angst” (fear). But the third correlation comes in the album’s running theme of time, since the song is about time running out on the pharaoh.

Clue #8: Metallica did it in ‘08.
> “People would worship and fall…” Or as Metallica said in the chorus of “The Judas Kiss”, they would “bow down, sell your soul to me.”

Clue #9: '81 was a riot for a different pair.
> “Bring me the blood and red wine…” Riot instead brought “Swords & Tequila”.

Clue #10: A misunderstanding of the exploration age (fuckers).
> “For he is a man and a god…” Men masquerading as gods was one of the blights of the explorers since Columbus first sailed out.

Clue #11: Iron Maiden did it in ‘92.
> “Now I am cold, but a ghost lives in my veins.” An “Apparition” if you will, who you can feel “when the room goes cold.”

Clue #12: Bruce Dickinson did it in ‘98.
> “Silent, the terror that reigned.” Similar to the “King in Crimson” line, “As you scream into the web of silence,” which also happens to be my custom title.

Clue #13: Iced Earth did it in ‘97.
> “Marbled in stone.” Iced Earth rewrote “Written on the Wall” and released it as “Cast in Stone” on Days of Purgatory.

Clue #14: Sabaton sang of it in ‘06.
> “…for a thousand ages.” Sabaton’s “Rise of Evil” includes references to Hitler’s claims of the Third Reich lasting for “a thousand years”.

Clue #15: Iron Maiden did it in ‘06.
> “But open the gates of my hell…” Maiden would revisit this in “The Longest Day”: “Enter Hell’s gates!”

Clue #16: Eddie did it in ‘90.
> “I’ll strike from the grave!” Which is what Eddie is doing on the NPFTD cover.

You’re turn!

:blink:

Black Bart, have you seriously deciphered at least one of the clues correctly, or was it just a lucky guess?
Well, the "...But open the gates of my hell and I'll strike from the grave" reminded me of the NPFTD cover (released in 1990).
And that was the only clue I was close to understanding, judging from the answers. ;)

Well:

Clue #1:

Brave New World

Santa Claus plays guitar, and all that jazz.

This would be my immediate guess as well, but, alas, you were faster.

So... dunno, "Iron Maiden", for an iconic track played all the time that many people probably don't remember the lyrics to :D

Back