Guess The Iron Maiden Song!

Only The Good Die Young

Bang on correct. Your turn.

Here are the clues explained:

Clue 1: In the lyrics to this Maiden song, we find the following: The name of an album by one of the big four of thrash metal, a Fleetwood Mac song and a criminal offence.

Endgame (Megadeth album), "Dreams" (Fleetwood Mac smash hit, rape)

Clue 2: The song presents a main idea that is mirrored on another Maiden song on the same album.

"Al the evil seems to live forever" vs. "The evil that man do lives on and on"

Clue 3: In the first verse of the song, we find the last name of a famous and stylistically distinct singer and also the name of a song from one of his most famous albums. In the first verse of the song you’re looking for, there is furthermore - with a slight adjustment - the name of a Rolling Stones tune. We are also introduced to a character who will make us think of a well-known bass player and singer.

Waits, as in Tom Waits. "Time" is a track off his Rain Dogs album. "Time Waits for no One" is a Rolling Stones song off their "It's only Rock'n'Roll" album. Gene "the Demon" Simmons is the bass player/singer.

Clue 4: The song shortly appears in a popular and stylistically groundbreaking TV show, only to be overridden by a more famous song that one of the characters in the show wrongfully credits to Eric Clapton.

Only the Good Die Young is played on a boat (where else?) in the episode "In the line of fire", but is cut short and replaced by Derek and the Dominoes' "Layla", following a request for "some Eric Clapton" by one of the characters.

Clue 5: Maiden haven't performed this song live.

Self-explanatory.

Last edited:
Bang on correct.
Cool. Clue #4 is actually what sealed it for me, since I watched Miami Vice regularly as a kid, but I didn’t check the thread until clue #5 had already been posted.

So, let’s see…

Clue #1: Leonard Shelby

No to all.

Clue #2: Peter Weyland

Incorrect guesses: The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg, Murders In The Rue Morgue, Twilight Zone

No to all.

Clue #2: Peter Weyland
Clue #3: Ed Exley

Incorrect guesses: The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg, Murders In The Rue Morgue, Twilight Zone, The Nomad, The Final Frontier, El Dorado

The Time Machine
Yes!

Clue #1: Leonard Shelby is the main character of Memento, played by Guy Pearce. He has no short-term memory, so he could credibly ask, “Have I ever told you about my time machine?” Also, Guy Pearce was the main actor in The Time Machine movie from 2002, which is a recurring theme here.

Clue #2: Peter Weyland, also played by Guy Pearce in Prometheus and Alien: Covenant, is an old man seeking immortality, referencing the lyric “I have lived a long life, I have seen the world”.

Clue #3: Ed Exley, also played by Guy Pearce in L.A. Confidential, is a character in a period piece, which connotes time travel of a sort.

Your turn!

Back