Guess The Iron Maiden Song!

Clue 1:
View attachment 11463

Clue 2: A present-day member of Iron Maiden has performed two different songs that have the exact same name, one with Maiden and one with another band. These two songs have a name that can be attributed to a work of literature that has the same setting as the Maiden song in question.

Clue 3: A band that has been on tour with Maiden have released an epic single whose name contains a play-on-words alluding to the title of the Maiden song in question.

Incorrect guesses: Sanctuary, Can I Play With Madness, Communication Breakdown, Blood Brothers, Mission from 'Arry, The Alchemist

Last edited:
Murders in the Rue Morgue?

Chainsaw Charlie : Murders in the New Morgue being the song in clue 3? It obviously works as a work of literature for clue 2, but I don't get the fawlty towers connection nor can I work out what the two songs with the same name from clue 2.

Last edited:
Murders in the Rue Morgue?

Chainsaw Charlie : Murders in the New Morgue being the song in clue 3? It obviously works as a work of literature for clue 2, but I don't get the fawlty towers connection nor can I work out what the two songs with the same name from clue 2.

Absolutely correct. Good job. Your turn.

Explanations:

Clue 1: Picture from the Fawlty Towers episode named "Communication problems": Murders in the Rue Morgue also has a communication problem at its core, the protagonist's inability to speak French.

Clue 2: A present-day member of Iron Maiden has performed two different songs that have the exact same name, one with Maiden and one with another band. These two songs have a name that can be attributed to a work of literature that has the same setting as the Maiden song in question.
The Red and the Black: A cover of this 1973 Blue Öyster Cult song was performerd by Steve Harris during his stint in Smiler in the mid 70s, before he composed his own tune with that name for The Book of Souls album some 40 years later. Stendahl's novel "The Red and the Black", a masterpiece of literature, is set in France.

Clue 3: A band that has been on tour with Maiden have released an epic single whose name contains a play-on-words alluding to the title of the Maiden song in question.
WASP, as explained by srfc above.

WOW,

I was not expecting anyone to get that on the first guess.
That's because I'm a clairvoyant myself, you see. :D
More seriously, it must be because most descriptions of the song mention the fact Steve was inspired by Doris Stokes's death. ;)

Clue #1: Speed King

ah ha ha ha, what a fluke!

I was just putting a random guess in so that you'ld have to give us a new clue! I had picked PENO becuase "speed" is a drug and it was the only Maiden song I could think of that had a drug reference.

Back