Guess The Iron Maiden Song!

Face in the sand
Correct!

Clue #1: Cat Stevens + Austin Powers? - Austin Powers is fond of calling people “randy”. Cat Stevens has a song called “Randy” that prominently features the lyric “you drew my face in the sand”.

Clue #2: Roll The Bones + Heaven On Earth? - Rush’s album Roll The Bones contains a song called “Face Up”. Belinda Carlisle’s album Heaven On Earth has a famous song called “Circle In The Sand”. By crossword puzzle rules, mashing these up gets you “Face In The Sand”.

Clue #3:
ROSstarbuck.jpg

- This is a picture of the actor Dirk Benedict. While this is a picture of him playing the character Starbuck on the original Battlestar Galactica, he is arguably more famous for playing the character Face on the TV show The A-Team. Thus, this picture represents Face in the sand.

Clue #4: Mel Gibson in 2002 - Mel Gibson starred in the movie Signs in 2002, which is a reference to the lyrics “I wait for the signs, they tell me true / I see the signs of the end of time”.

Clue #5: Everybody & Everyone - A reference to the two most recurring words in the lyrics of “Face In The Sand”.

My next clue would have been “Cydonia” or “Knight Of Cydonia?”, referencing the region of Mars with a famous face in the sand.

Your turn!

All good guesses, but no...

Clue 1: This song is a first (although this status could be contested).
Clue 2: The song has a link to an album by another band. The link is a person with the same first name as a person who inspired an Iron Maiden song released in 1986.

Incorrect guesses: Invaders, Prowler, Running Free

Clue 2: The song has a link to an album by another band. The link is a person with the same first name as a person who inspired an Iron Maiden song released in 1986.

Clue 3: The band who released the album in clue 2 have time and again received criticism for several reasons - among them emulating certain aspects of another band's style. Iron Maiden have covered this other band (but not the band in clue 2, as far as I know).

Incorrect guesses: Invaders, Prowler, Running Free, Reach Out, Revelations

Last edited:

Clue 3: The band who released the album in clue 2 have time and again received criticism for several reasons - among them emulating certain aspects of another band's style. Iron Maiden have covered this other band (but not the band in clue 2, as far as I know).

Clue 4: The song's lyrics has a line that points directly to another Maiden song. This other song shares its name with a comic book character, a film, a book, an opera, a play, and also other bands, one of which has gained huge popularity under another name.

Incorrect guesses: Invaders, Prowler, Running Free, Reach Out, Revelations, Holy Smoke

Back