GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

If this competition is ever run again the one suggestion I'd make is to have all Maiden albums just nominated automatically, as potentially there could have been an extra 112! albums.

Udo is lots of fun, pretty cheesy stuff. Dream Theater actually isn't bad comparatively. Look, DT is hit and miss with me, because a lot of DT sounds like waffly prog emptiness, devoid of emotion, but there's some pretty thrilling stuff by DT standards on Systematic Chaos. I know, I'm surprised at me too.

Insomnium was pretty good, the style of death vocals I can tolerate (not too black, not too extreme), and really nice music. Ayreon has always been a band that has some songs and albums that appeal to me, but in general, like Dream Theater, I find there to be too much emptiness and progging for the sake of progging. This album leaves me colder. Insomnium.

As previously indicated: Motherfucking Bolt Thrower & Anthrax.

UDO fails in his challenge against Dream Theater. That was Udo's only album in the GMAC (solo), and next up for Dream Theater is Belakor.
Ayreon holds on against Insomnium, eliminating them from the GMAC. We'll see how they do against Rush in the next League.
Bolt Thrower narrowly defeats Soundgarden. They're back in League 6.
And finally, the invisible hand has ruled against EPs as Anthrax defeats Dream Theater. There's lots of Dream Theater left, most notably in the Match 9 stream above.

I liked the example song, I liked ITPOE 1, I liked Prophets of War, I didn't like the last 2 songs on the album much.

That seems pretty accurate. Ministry of Lost Souls is my least fav DT song and ITPOE 2, while it manages to stick the landing, is really tedious. ITPOE 1 is fantastic. Pleasant surprise on the last tour.

Forsaken is is a good early 00s goth rock throwback. If you grew up with stuff like Disturbed or Evanescence you probably dig it.

Bloodbath_-_The_Fathomless_Mastery.jpg

Bloodbath - The Fathomless Mastery (2008)

How it got here

List entries: n/a
Maidenfans Nominators: @The Flash
League 8 - Match 13vs.
Testament_-_The_Formation_of_Damnation.jpg

Testament - The Formation of Damnation (2008)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Black Wizard
Previous Rounds:
League 9: Defeated King Diamond - The Eye 17-9.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Queensryche_-_The_Warning_cover.jpg

Queensrÿche - The Warning (1984)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Poto
League 8 - Match 14vs.
MegadethDystopia.png

Megadeth - Dystopia (2016)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Lampwick 43
Previous Rounds:
League 10: Defeated Kreator - Enemy of God 17-8.
League 9: Defeated Periphery - Periphery III: Select Difficulty 24-2.

Endgame_album_art.jpg

Megadeth - Endgame (2009)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @KidInTheDark666
League 8 - Match 15vs.
The_Final_Frontier_cover.jpg

Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier (2010)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Collin
Previous Rounds:
League 11: Defeated Bruce Dickinson - Balls to Picasso 18-5.
League 10: Defeated Nightwish - Dark Passion Play 16-8.
League 9: Defeated Slipknot - Vol 3: The Subliminal Verses 24-2.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The_Wicked_Symphony_cover.jpg

Avantasia - The Wicked Symphony (2010)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Black Wizard
League 8 - Match 16vs.
Perfect_Strangers_%28Deep_Purple_album_-_cover_art%29.jpg

Deep Purple - Perfect Strangers (1984)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @matic22
Previous Rounds:
League 11: Defeated Porcupine Tree - In Absentia 18-5.
League 10: Defeated Buckethead - Colma 13-7.
League 9: Defeated Ensiferum - Iron 17-8.

Bloodbath - not for me

Testament - I don't like what the drums are doing in the verse, just play a head nodding beat and stop pricking about.

Testament with the win

Queensryche - I saw these with Todd on the tour for the first album they did with him, I hadn't got this album at the time, they played En Force and Child of Fire, I think, and I pretty much ran out and bought the album the next day. Just a great record.

Megadeth - I don't have this record, but I think the albums after TSHF are all much of a muchness anyway.

Queensryche with the win

Megadeth - I don't have this record, but I think the albums after TSHF are all much of a muchness anyway. ( :lol: I do actually have the other 3 post TSHF albums) This track is actually pretty decent to be fair.

Iron Maiden - opinion given before, picking Starblind for this round shouldn't give auld Musty much of a chance, it's so good that I'm just going to listen to it for enjoyment rather than skip ahead to the next artist.

Iron Maiden with the win

Avantasia - Sounds like a cheesy 80's hit, and I mean that in a good way and not just because Klaus is singing.

Deep Purple - opinion given before, title track is fantastic, another track that I'm going to play anyway even though I know it inside out.

Deep Purple with the win.

Testament in the first.

Queensryche. The Warning is a phenomenal album. Queensryche in the 80's was almost as good as Maiden were, and I honestly think Geoff Tate from 83-88 was at least on par with Bruce the same period.

Maiden over Megadeth. I don't think I have heard a full Megadeth song.

Avantasia over Deep Purple and it's not even close. Tobias Sammet has become one of my favourite musicians. Maybe second behind Steve Harris. A truly great songwriter, and no one writes better choruses. He also gets the best out of his guest singers.

Back