GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Why you think I should have been more aware of them back then when you weren’t even alive yet and don’t really know what the U.S. scene was like at the time except through other people’s accounts is strange to me.
Did I say anything about the US scene back in the '80s and '90s? No. I just said I was shocked you'd never heard of Udo and / or Accept before. It sounded like that wasn't the case. I guess I was wrong.

Did I say anything about the US scene back in the '80s and '90s? No. I just said I was shocked you'd never heard of Udo and / or Accept before. It sounded like that wasn't the case. I guess I was wrong.

Hey, you, you even grow facial hair yet? Have you watched the music video to Basket Case by Green Day on MTV? Heck, do you even remember when MTV played music videos? So don't interrupt when the adults are talking!

:ninja:

Balls To The Wall
Is that album in the game? If not, bad on me/us. It’s awesome. Turn Me On, Head Over Heels, Winterdreams, title track, Love Child, Losing More Than You Ever Had, the unfortunately titled London Leatherboys... so many good tracks. Get with the program, @Jer ! :smartarse:

In the current matchup, Udo looks old and bored as hell in this video. But his voice in the ‘80s was magnificent.

he unfortunately titled London Leatherboys

Yeah, you know the frustration when

AC - friggin - DC (and a Brian Johnson era AC/DC at that) release a song called Snowballed and it's just about accumulating bad luck...
Aerosmith release a song called Lick and a Promise and it's just about a bar guitarist...

And you get a song called London Leatherboys on an album titled Balls to the Wall and you get disappointed again...

:ninja:

UDO was pretty unremarkable. I've always felt Systematic Chaos was one of the most underrated Dream Theater albums in terms of all the criticism it gets. Dream Theater.

Insomnium was better than I had anticipated, but I still gotta go with my own nominee here. Ayreon.

Soundgarden, of course. What's most surprising to me was that this album wasn't on any of the source lists, but the vastly inferior Louder Than Love, was.

Anthrax by default.

Is that album in the game? If not, bad on me/us. It’s awesome. Turn Me On, Head Over Heels, Winterdreams, title track, Love Child, Losing More Than You Ever Had, the unfortunately titled London Leatherboys... so many good tracks. Get with the program, @Jer ! :smartarse:

In the current matchup, Udo looks old and bored as hell in this video. But his voice in the ‘80s was magnificent.
Losing More Than You've Ever Had and Love Child are two of the best. Just front to back an amazing album. Only one on there I still don't like is Turn Me On. The other 8 or 9 songs or however many on there are amazing.

Not only is ACOS automatically disqualified for not being an EP. Even if it were an album, it’s also a covers album, a live album, and a compilation. All merits that I believe are disqualifying. So I will vote against it (I have no problem voting for something inferior that followed the rules).

What boggles my mind is that someone wasted a nomination on it. Plenty of Dream Theater to choose from.
I provided a list of 7 alternate albums incase any of mine didn't fit the bill which this is one of my choices. For this very reason of something not fitting LC's vision of the game. It was let into the game, as I see it if it is better than its oposition then it deserves the vote.

Votes will come later

I provided a list of 7 alternate albums incase any of mine didn't fit the bill which this is one of my choices. For this very reason of something not fitting LC's vision of the game. It was let into the game, as I see it if it is better than its oposition then it deserves the vote.
This is true, and you're the only one who did it. I didn't even register that it was an EP until well after things were done, and then I decided..."fuck it, controversy breeds cash, let's see what happens".

The EP argument is valid, especially considering that many subgenres of Metal blossomed because of the format. I still think that an EP is not an album and shouldn’t be treated the same. And yes, a lot of us overlooked the QR EP in the previous round.

That said, being an EP is the least egregious aspect of ACOS. It’s also a live album, a compilation (a Motörhead comp was decidedly not included despite being more appropriate imo), and a covers album. It is disqualified on multiple counts.

The “it doesn’t matter if the competition is inferior” argument has been tossed around. I take issue with that too, but never mind that, let’s go with it. A Change of Seasons, taken as a whole, is not very good. The medleys are fun and the song selections/recordings are nice oddities for the super fans, but they’re by no means fantastic performances. None of the covers exceed the originals and I never have a reason to listen to this collection. I’m not going to listen to Dream Theater do Love Lies Bleeding when I have Elton John doing it. Nobody is putting up Best of the B Sides as a serious contender for greatest Metal album, ACOS is pretty much on that level. Sound of White Noise is pretty good. I don’t think it should get that far either, but it’s better than A Change of Seasons.

None of this is a criticism of how the game is run btw. Human error happens and even decisions I don’t agree with don’t invalidate what has been a fun game. I believe in the sanctity of the Maidenfans voting process. I hope the invisible hand makes the right decision here.

It's in the game.

If there had been 10! fuckin' Dream Theatre albums and no Balls to the Wall then this competition would have had to be abandonned and maybe the forum dissolved as well.

Only 3! Slayer as well. Another source of shame.

Back