GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

This Epica album is pretty interesting, like Luca Turilli meets Evanescence or something. I like the choral vocals, and there are some cool guitar bits and mildly progressive elements throughout. The occasional harsh vocals are dumb, but thankfully not very annoying. The main female vocals are a bit thin at times, and the lyrics are silly, and the music veers into cheese in places, but even with those caveats this is still consistently pretty high quality stuff. I will definitely listen to it some more. Compared to a woefully uneven, bottom-third Iron Maiden album I think this is a pretty easy choice. Congratusorrylations, @Black Wizard, I’m going with your non-Maiden-bias nominee. Winner: Epica

Hadn’t heard this Tremonti album before, and it was a really pleasant surprise. There’s some pretty great riffage here, good soloing, and mostly great anthemic songwriting with consistently strong melodic vocals. What’s not to like? While I’m a big Rush fan, I have to be honest about the weaknesses of the songwriting and lyrics on Counterparts, and its embarrassing attempt to play with grunge sounds on “Stick It Out”. While bottom-tier Rush still beats a lot of things, it can’t hold a candle to a legitimately strong album. Sorry, @matic22, but @Ariana ‘s choice is the superior one here. Winner: Tremonti

Hmm, more Sabbat. Walkyier sounds worse than his usual rough early days sound here, with some higher-pitched elements that don’t work well. The production stinks, as expected. There’s some cool thrashy guitar work peppered throughout, but there’s more of a samey feel to this album than there was on Dreamweaver, and I don’t think this holds up as well. It’s OK. Unfortunately it’s up against a really strong, mostly clean-vocalled album from Amorphis. Sorry, @karljant, I may need to turn in my Walkyier fan badge because I prefer @Spambot ‘s nominee in this match. Winner: Amorphis

Hadn’t heard this MSG album before, and right off the bat I think Adrian Smith owes someone an apology for the main riff from “Hooks In You”. :facepalm: “Armed And Ready” is a strong start, with a catchy riff and great soloing. The rest of the album is a bit more uneven, but the lead guitar work is consistently great. This album still has one foot in the 70s (understandable for 1980), but it’s got a harder edge that makes it easier for me to appreciate. Unfortunately, it’s up against a top-tier Rush album, so RIP MSG. Sorry, @Poto, but I have to go with @Midnight ‘s choice here. Winner: Rush

Epica - No thanks, quite a lot of deal breakers for me, nu-metal guitar tone, bad keys/synths, faux opera elements, weak female vocal (the weakness being the issue not the gender), pointless brodude growling.

Iron Maiden - opinion given before

Iron Maiden with the win

Tremonti - I've seen this guy a few times on festival bills, not really my sort of thing but solid and watchable, the sound of this track is a bit better than the live sound he's had. The low bit rate bit doesn't sound great,

Rush - Intro sounds like the Happy Mondays big hit, this isn't great, I'm not opposed to a catchy commercial hit, in fact I love them, but this is just not a particularly great track and the chorus is pretty weak and cliche

Tremonti with the win

Sabbat - better sound than the last album but could do with a bit more bottom end, think Walkyier is a great example of how charisma and delivery is far more important than vocal competence (99% of Eurometal and Prog vocalists take note)

Amorphis - opinion given before

Sabbat with the win

MSG - Don't have this album, but as usual I expect we all at least are vaguely familiar with this hit, which is great. Schenker himself is obviously one of the best there has ever been. Never seen the cover or video clip before but Maiden definitely ripped that off for the X Factor cover:lol:

Rush - video is blocked for me so I don't know what track it is, but I have listened to the whole album since this album made it's first appearance.

Going to go with MSG, as like I said last time a lot of those 70's Rush albums, 2112, A Farewell to Kings and this one aren't hugely different to each other, 2112 will carry the torch further into the competition I'd imagine.

Mark Tremonti is an incredibly gifted person. Not only is he one of the best modern guitar players, but he's also a fantastic songwriter. Mark has always been a metalhead, deeply influenced by the 80s thrash and speed metal, but the musical direction of the bands he's been involved with has always been softer. So the first real metal outlet for him is his self-titled band, Tremonti. It has also allowed him to dip his toes in the role of frontman and his singing has improved dramatically over the years. While not as versatile as many others in the game, his voice works great for the band.

But this is not about Mark's singing. In fact, ask him and he would tell you he's a songwriter at heart, first and foremost. Whereas the metal influences are pretty obvious, his songwriting is led by melody above all. For those that may be curious to find out more, I highly recommend Tremonti's Dust and Cauterize albums.

I won't miss the opportunity to show off here and mention that I have met Mark Tremonti and have talked to him and he's just the nicest guy - super friendly! :wub:

Voted against Rush in both matchups not because I don't prefer them, but because Rush don't fit the premise of the game. Hemispheres is a favorite of mine otherwise.

Wanted to support Sabbat so couldn't refrain from voting, couldn't bring myself to vote for any of the other albums, LC strongly discourages voting in one pair only, thought this was the only remaining option.
I mean, it's really equally as bad as the other, but far more visible so I appreciate not having to do the detective work on who to shame.

Epica... Another one of those bands among the countless new breed of Nightwish and Within Temptation copycats like the Evanescences of the world. Like if he original stuff isn't already a curse bad enough these damned things still manage to be worst. Dance Of Death on the other hand is an interesting album even to Iron Maiden's demanding standards and even manages to deliver some amazing tracks so this one's simple.

And here we have another well polished, fabricated and plastic 21st century overproduced and dull record. I mean don't get me wrong: there's nothing "wrong" with Tremonti (outside perhaps the poppy vocals) and he surely can pull a handful of cool riffs. But it's so generic, so overdone and lacks so much originality that it literally gets smothered below a mountain of annoying boredom. Every time I listen to an artist like Tremonti I get to understand a bit better the reasons Mikael Akerfeldt pointed on why Opeth decided to almost "unmetalize" themselves.This Rush album also says nothing to me but at least it has some self identity.

Already gave my 2 cents about later Amorphis (I think that's literally what they're worth when compared to their former selves). On the other hand there's Sabbat's debut and if you read my review on Dreamweaver you know what's my take on this band: ultra original on their riffage and vocal approach, fast as hell, with a sense of pomp and kin on doing epic tunes you won't find anywhere else on Thrash Metal's panorama. I won't godeep on the details but from the full speed theatrics of A Cautionary Tale (that bridge!), the dynamic shifts of Hosanna In Excelsis, the ambiance and strong mid tempo of Horned Is The Hunter up to the absolutely wicked The Church Bizarre, this record is a truly unique kind of amazing. Ah! With the exception being For Those Who Died that somehow manages to transcend the excelence of the rest of the album: a music so well put together it should be a crime and (not content with that) it also presents us with that opening riff, one of the most powerful and epic things ever spawned by a metal band (we're not worthy Mr. Sneaps, we're not worthy...). So yeah: this damned thing is an absolute cult celtic magic gem from one of the most underrated bands ever and Sabbat's debut was easily one of the first records that came to my mind while making top 25 best Metal records ever. Easily!

I sure have a lot of respect for Schenker's work both in Scorpions' early records and UFO but as a solo act it simply doesn't work for me. While presenting some cool riffs here and there and great solos I truly dislike Michael's composing formula and genre. Once again not that it's bad. But even in the late 70's/ early 80's it was far from being breakthrough stuff. Overall these songs sound really dull composition wise despite the immense and undeniable talent of MS on the 6 strings. Hemispheres on the other hand is one of the few Rush records I enjoy so this is also an easy choice.

Last edited:
I consider all reasons valid, and Forostar deciding to "negate" someone is perfectly valid.
Not a question of validity, but soundness. I don't consider Foro's approach to be invalid. It wouldn't be invalid if he said "I'm voting the opposite of Flash because I want to annoy him", either.

Back