GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

I can't believe Endgame is actually doing this badly.
OK, so @KidInTheDark666 needs to invent time travel so we can go back and undo this travesty. I have to beat myself up at some point so @karljant can look at unconscious me and say “That’s MaidenFans’ ass!” I finally get to shout “MaidenFans Assemble!” and beat up @Collin with @LooseCannon ’s spare hammer, and (spoiler alert) @KidInTheDark666 sacrifices himself to make sure Endgame wins this match.

tenor.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Jer
That warms my cold dead heart. Sharing music is the point of the game!

I'm just raging that I didn't pick it up when it was out, but at the time United Abominations had had a bit too much right wing paranoia for me, and I usually allow Mustaine a bit of leeway in that regard but that time I don't think the songs were there to let him get away with it. So I was losing interest when Endgame came out.

Testament defeats Bloodbath, knocking them out of the GMAC. Next up is King Diamond.
Queensrÿche beats Megadave by one point, to move on. Let's see how Dave fares in the next round.
Oh, not great, as Iron Maiden moves on. Megadave is back in League 6.
Deep Purple defeats Avantasia fairly easily. Avantasia is back one more time in League 5.

Squalus-TheGreatFish1-500x500.jpg

Squalus - The Great Fish (2017)

How it got here

List entries: n/a
Maidenfans Nominators: @Whooten
League 8 - Match 17vs.
Amorphis_Under_The_Red_Cloud.jpg

Amorphis - Under the Red Cloud (2015)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Night Prowler
Previous Rounds:
League 10: Defeated In Flames - Whoracle 14(ET)-14.
League 9: Defeated Opeth - Deliverance 14-10.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Elements%2C_Pt._1_cover.jpg

Stratovarius - Elements (2003)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Travis The Dragon
League 8 - Match 18vs.
TalesFromTheThousandLakes.jpg

Amorphis - Tales From the Thousand Lakes (1994)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Forostar
Previous Rounds:
League 14: Defeated Rhapsody - Symphony of Enchanted Lands 13-5.
League 13: Defeated Negura Bunget - OM 16-6.
League 12: Defeated Blind Guardian - A Night at the Opera 14-10.
League 11: Defeated Devin Townsend - Terria 15-7.
League 10: Defeated Wardruna - Runaljod (Ragnarok) 21-6.
League 9: Defeated Discharge - Hear Nothing Say Nothing See Nothing 20-4.

AtTheGatesAtWarWithReality.png

At the Gates - At War With Reality (2014)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Night Prowler
League 8 - Match 19vs.
Opeth_-_Watershed.jpg

Opeth - Watershed (2008)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @The Flash
Previous Rounds:
League 12: Defeated Black Sabbath - Tyr 14-9.
League 11: Defeated The Who - Who’s Next 14-8.
League 10: Defeated Nightwish - Century Child 14(ET)-14.
League 9: Defeated Ozzy Osbourne - The Ultimate Sin 14-11.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bolt_realm.jpg

Bolt Thrower - Realms of Chaos (Slaves to Darkness) (1989)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @karljant
League 8 - Match 20vs.
Sls_coverart.jpg

Riverside - Second Life Syndrome (2005)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Lampwick 43
Previous Rounds:
League 9: Defeated Savatage - Gutter Ballet 13-12.

Last edited:
It's a bit surprising to see Elements here instead of Episode or Destiny for example, but I'm not complaining. It's an extremely underrated album (especially Pt. 1). I heard it's also Timo Tolkki's favorite.

Mr. @LooseCannon ... I also nominated Realm Of Chaos (credit where credit's due) :) . And btw the sample song could have been better picked: Eternal War, World Eater, Dark Millenium, Through The Eye Of Terror come to my mind, although in this particular the fault is mine for not giving you any hint previously. :p

Squalus - Too off the wall for me. I hope there's a sample of George Costanza's "the sea was angry that day" speech on the album somewhere.

Amorphis - opinion given before

Amorphis with the win

Stratovarius - This doesn't appeal to me in any shape or form, and their name is so bad, maybe nearly as bad a name as Kamelot.

Amorphis - opinion given before

Amorphis with the win, I might have made the same comment in a previous round, but this album has had a real lucky run, I suspect I've voted for it every time despite it not really being my cup of tea.

At the Gates - I remember when Terminal Spirit Disease was out, and I think I may have even had it at one stage on one side of a c-90 but I never really go into it. This is ok, there's nothing exciting me about it nor is there anything I'm opposed to in it either.

Opeth - opinion given before, this track is good sounds Faith No More like at times, at the heavy part with the keys

Opeth with the win, this is the second real good track from this album but a few of the others in earlier rounds were muck though :lol: I had originally given At the Gates the win before this track turned out to be good.

Bolt Thrower - bad, the bit at the end starting at 2:18 is reminiscent of a section near the end of Spirit in Black by Slayer so obviously Slayer were fans of this album :lol:

Riverside - Intro is a rip off of Shine on You Crazy Diamond, even the riff that comes in @1.20 may be based on the same notes as the famous riff from Shine on. I'm not going to listen to all 15 mins, they've already done enough to get the win, it's not bad but all these prog bands do nothing for me

Riverside with the win

I'm not familiar with any of these albums, which I think could be a first.

Have we finished all the single nomination albums, as one of my single nominated ones hasn't appeared?
No, there will probably be a couple of leagues with both single and multi nominated albums. At least some of my single nominated albums still haven't appeared. (No more Slipknot or Papa Roach though.)

THE SLAYER from LA at the top of their game ripping off an unknown band out of Coventry in the UK, with little more than 2 years in the business, with a 2 records released by a 3 old microscopic (by then) Earache Records?

Sorry for the spam but:

179503_b.jpg
X 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have we finished all the single nomination albums, as one of my single nominated ones hasn't appeared?
Remember some albums were nominated by lists as well, so if you matched a nomination with a list it won't show up for a few more leagues. Which album was it?

Back