GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

People keep saying that Alestorm aren’t original and that Running Wild did their shtick before them, but the one thing they keep forgetting is that Running Wild also fucking suck.

:ninja:

True, neither band should be anywhere near the upper echelons of a discussion on great metal albums. No offence intended to anyone who enjoys Alestorm, and I'm sure they probably can provide a nice grog-fuelled night out.

True, neither band should be anywhere near the upper echelons of a discussion on great metal albums. No offence intended to anyone who enjoys Alestorm, and I'm sure they probably can provide a nice grog-fuelled night out.
They surely do. I mean we're clearly in the mid-tier. We start with double-noms next league, so that's when we'll start to get an increase in quality of albums, but basically leagues...13-8 are all functionally the same.

Edit: This is also the only Alestorm album in the game, and while I agree that Running Wild are pretty crappy, I've also never experienced them live, whereas Alestorm is a hell of a good time.

This is ridiculous. I'd get this hate against Alestorm if everyone here wasn't ridiculously in love with friggin' Sabaton who are possibly even more of a one-trick pony (if that's even possible), even less funny, much less musically interesting (at least Alestorm vary things from time to time, sometimes with black metal infusion, sometimes with a death metal one, sometimes with Casios, but still, diversity) with an even more unpleasant singer, so I wonder where this cognitive dissonance comes from.

This is ridiculous. I'd get this hate against Alestorm if everyone here wasn't ridiculously in love with friggin' Sabaton who are possibly even more of a one-trick pony (if that's even possible), even less funny, much less musically interesting (at least Alestorm vary things from time to time, sometimes with black metal infusion, sometimes with a death metal one, sometimes with Casios, but still, diversity) with an even more unpleasant singer, so I wonder where this cognitive dissonance comes from.
They are also funner.

Unleash the Archers is a great find.
Got the last of fall yard clean-up done with them on repeat yesterday.
And just down the road from me. Who knew?

I made the initial comment comparing Alestorm unfavourably with Running Wild. I didn't mean it to ridicule the band so much, sometimes a short comment of a sentence or two comes off harsher than intended. As I mentioned above, novelty bands can provide a good night out and there is a place for them in a genre that often takes itself way too seriously. That place is generally just not at the top table when studio albums are being compared.

Preach! :notworthy:

And to add on to to what Judas was saying, the exact same criticisms of Alestorm can also equally apply to Ghost, and they're a band that everyone seems to love. (I do too.) It just seems hypocritical to immediately dismiss Alestorm for being unoriginal, or a "joke" band, but at the same time love bands like Sabaton and Ghost.

In the end, all three bands are about having fun, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I personally love Running Wild. I like Sabaton a lot, too. Alestorm and Ghost, on the other hand, are totally not my thing. I guess it's not as simple as that then.

The Alestorm or not discussion is one thing, but I absolutely can't fathom how somebody can think of Sunset on the Golden Age as even remotely qualifying for a Best Metal Album ever discussion. With Captain Morgan's Revenge, I can see the justification, because that album really was a watershed moment, but Sunset... Really?

I know a lot of people think Sunset is the best post-Revenge album, and sure, there's something to that, but Revenge is really the only one that I consider to be worthy of this game. Then again I nominated a post-Barlow IE album so what the fuck do I know?

I honestly think you could make an argument for every Running Wild album from Gates to Purgatory through Black Hand Inn being in this game. Personally, I only would've nominated Gates to Purgatory, maybe Branded and Exiled along with it.

I honestly think you could make an argument for every Running Wild album from Gates to Purgatory through Black Hand Inn being in this game. Personally, I only would've nominated Gates to Purgatory, maybe Branded and Exiled along with it.

I'm not a huge Running Wild fan, or even a casual fan, but anything I've heard from them has been pretty solid, I'm not a fan of Power Metal and the likes at all, but I think RW are among the best bands from that type of music.

And I think this is a fantastic song.

Last edited:
The Alestorm or not discussion is one thing, but I absolutely can't fathom how somebody can think of Sunset on the Golden Age as even remotely qualifying for a Best Metal Album ever discussion. With Captain Morgan's Revenge, I can see the justification, because that album really was a watershed moment, but Sunset... Really?
Personally I think it’s the point where Alestorm fully managed to perfect their pirate themes with killer hooks, and featured them pushing themselves with the album’s two epics. The first four songs and the closing monster are all contenders for my Top 5 from them. The middle isn’t quite as good but it’s still fun and entertaining. To me Captain Morgan’s Revenge is their closest to classic sea shanties, but it’s not quite to my taste and it’s kinda boring IMO. Sunset is my favorite and to me the previous three albums where a great build up to it, and post-Sunset they’ve been downhill ever since.

Back