GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

I think you've achieved quite a lot as a listener in that short of a time.
From Baby Metal to masterpieces
When I was 16 and had been seriously listening to music for just over three years, I was snubbing off Sabbath and I possibly'd never even heard of King Crimson, so I'm just tippin' my hat to you.
Well, I wouldn't have been able to find anything without you all! I've only heard all this stuff thanks to this community.

The Way Of All Flesh
You might not have noticed, but I didn't even like Gojira at the time the GMAC started (I posted some opinions in their thread). I'm still not completely sold on From Mars To Sirius.

To another Maiden album, perhaps, or bloody Dio or something. After that pathetic excuse for an album, or anal bum, VXI, eliminated Borknagar’s masterpiece, there isn’t much hope otherwise.
I've seen worst things happening here... After all it's a Maiden forum. But nevertheless I believe that as soon VXI finds a minor solid album that is somehow transversal regarding this forum's members musical taste it will fall.

P.S: As matter of fact next round I'll vote against both Maiden albums and I really like one of them (The Final Frontier).

Last edited:
To another Maiden album, perhaps, or bloody Dio or something. After that pathetic excuse for an album, or anal bum, VXI, eliminated Borknagar’s masterpiece, there isn’t much hope otherwise.
It's gonna eliminate The Return...... too!

StoneSour-st-Black_cover.jpg

Stone Sour - Stone Sour (2002)

How it got here

List entries: n/a
Maidenfans Nominators: @FTB
League 8 - Match 1vs.
Nightmare_logic_cover.jpg

Power Trip - Nightmare Logic (2017)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Whooten
Previous Rounds:
League 13: Defeated Katatonia - Brave Murder Day 13-8.
League 12: Defeated Amputated - Wading Through Rancid Offal 23-3.
League 11: Defeated Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar 22-4.
League 10: Defeated Coheed and Cambria - No World For Tomorrow 12-10.
League 9: Defeated Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare 14-10.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
TheStageA7X.jpg

Avenged Sevenfold - The Stage (2014)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Travis The Dragon
League 8 - Match 2vs.
Atlantean-Kodex_Course-of-Empire-300x300.jpg

Atlantean Kodex - The Course of Empire (2019)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Perun
Previous Rounds:
League 12: Defeated Death - The Sound of Perseverance 16-10.
League 11: Defeated Therapy? - Troublegum 16-10.
League 10: Defeated Dream Theater - Distance Over Time 14-8.
League 9: Defeated Satyricon - Nemesis Divina 18-6.

Sentenced_-_north_from_here.jpg

Sentenced - North From Here (1993)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Magnus
League 8 - Match 3vs.
Combat_KIMB.jpg

Megadeth - Killing Is My Business... and Business Is Good! (1985)
How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 85
Previous Rounds:
League 17: Defeated Evanescence - Fallen 22-6.
League 16: Defeated Helmet - Meantime 22-2.
League 15: Defeated Jason Becker - Perpetual Burn 20-5.
League 14: Defeated Fear Factory - Demanufacture 19-3.
League 13: Defeated Grand Magus - Triumph and Power 12-10.
League 12: Defeated Between the Buried and Me - Colors 21-5.
League 11: Defeated Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant 17-9.
League 10: Defeated Dark Millenium - Diana Read Peace 15-8.
League 9: Defeated AC/DC - For Those About to Rock 18-6.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
10000Days.jpg

Tool - 10,000 Days (2006)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Spambot
League 8 - Match 4vs.
Ziltoidtheomniscientcover.jpg

Devin Townsend - Ziltoid the Omniscient (2007)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Shmoolikipod
Previous Rounds:
League 9: Defeated Buckethead - Crime Slunk Scene 16-8.

League 9 has 7 new albums survive the fray.
League 17 still has their 2 survivors.
League 16 is gone, only Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow is left from League 15.
3 holdouts from League 14.
2 left from League 13.
4 from League 12.
6 from League 11.
And finally, 7 from League 10.

This is breaking down about exactly how I thought it might, very encouraging.

Good to see The Stage in the game, despite it being near the bottom in my A7X rankings. It's a genuine prog-metal concept album by the band. I can hardly wait for someone to call it a radio pop album.

I would love to see Devin Townsend thrash Tool. Especially since the Tool album is very mediocre.

just because The Stage has a 15 minute song doesn’t make it prog. Better than Hail to the King though.

This Stone Sour album is a bunch of samey, forgettable music that veers around between nu-metal and grungy alt-rock without leaving much of an impression. It’s not bad, but it’s not particularly good, either. Meanwhile, the Power Trip album has a lot of cool riffage that scratches that 80s Metallica itch, but the vocals are pretty terrible. Not thrilled with either choice here, but this time I’m leaning toward the old-school thrash vibes. Sorry, @FTB, but @Whooten ’s nominee takes this one. Winner: Power Trip

I really don’t like Avenged Sevenfold. A lot of it is the whiny-ass singer with a penchant for cheesy vocal harmonies, but their songwriting is also consistently weak. It’s kind of a shame, because the guitars often put on a pretty good show, with some cool riffs and solos and nice harmonized sections. I will say that The Stage is less annoying than the other A7X albums we’ve heard so far, probably because it has less of the punk flavor and a little less genre ADD in general; but these songs just meander around and don’t really go anywhere. While I’m not thrilled with the Atlantean Kodex album, it still takes this one pretty easily. Sorry, @Travis The Dragon, but I have to go with @Perun ’s nominee here. Winner: Atlantean Kodex

This Sentenced album is pretty interesting, and it definitely carves out a unique sound. Queasy, off-kilter rhythms and melodies run through most of the music and it definitely sets a mood. Unfortunately, the vocals are typical black metal rubbish and they’re front and center in the mix, so there’s no downplaying them. Against a weak album I might have been swayed, but this Megadeth album is much more to my liking. Sorry, @Magnus, but the list nominee prevails again. Winner: Megadeth

This Tool album is very good for what it is. It creates an atmosphere and feeling that it carries through the full running time, and the music is a long, well-constructed journey with strong performances. I can’t say that I get the urge to put it on very often, but when I do, I always enjoy it. It’s up against a Devin Townsend album that didn’t really work for me on a comedic level, and only had a few standout songs on it, so the choice here is pretty clear. Sorry, @Shmoolikipod, but @Spambot ‘s nominee is the superior one this time. Winner: Tool

Stone Sour - There are some better songs on there than the one showed (e.g inhale , bother , orchids)

Avenged Sevenfold - Good Album by them, not my favorite but songs like the title track, higher and god damn make the cut

Megadeth - by default

Tool - easily over overrated devin Townsend. Can't stand his stuff

Power Trip over Stone Sour pretty easily. I'll take somewhat derivative retro thrash/hardcore over Corey Taylor.

Sentenced over Megadeth. This was the only tough matchup for me this round. At the end of the day, I think Killing is My Business is just a little better than North From Here, but I think an extreme metal act that's not Opeth or the chug-fest Gojira deserves to go far in this game. Also that riff in Capture of Fire simply undeniable.

Devin Townsend over Tool. Townsend annoys me infinitely less than Tool.

In a closer matchup than I thought, Atlantean Kodex over Avenged Sevenfold. Look, I've been critical of the more popular focus group tuned metal sounds of Slipknot and Babymetal, but The Stage has certainly taken me by surprise. With these newer(ish) bands, I can usually only make it 20 maybe 30 seconds into a song before the whiny vocals kick in followed by some half ass breakdown (forcing me to turn it off) but The Stage is actually pretty mature. Its runtime is certainly daunting, and I'll probably turn it off before I finish it, but count me pleasantly surprised. The Stage is a pretty well crafted hard rock/heavy metal experience if you're remotely into the sounds of Avenged Sevenfold and bands of their ilk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jer
Stone Sour - intro bad, riff that come in is ok, verse and prechorus pretty shite, chorus worse again. Why doesn't this lad sing properly? I heard him sing a great version of Rainbow in the Dark so he's well capable of it.

Power Trip - opinion given before

Power Trip with the win

Avenged Sevenfold - the little death metal run they do at the end of the riff is ripped off from something that I can't place, maybe Heartwork?? Not the worst, but nothing really to grasp my attention

Atlantean Kodex - opinion given before

Atlantean Kodex with the win

Sentenced - intro vaguely reminiscent of Am I Going Insane (Radio). Not my cup of tea, but decent enough sound quality, you can hear everything they are doing and it still sounds chaotic, whereas with a lot of other bands I feel the shite production is an attempt to create artificial heaviness because the material is just not heavy at all.

Megadeth - opinion given before

Megadeth with the win.

Tool - A band I'm well aware of their existence but can't recall ever hearing anything they ever did, other than the singers vocal on Know Your Enemy. This is pretty ok, it's not grabbing me but there's nothing really wrong with it, I can't find anything to nitpick about :lol: I imagine maybe if it hangs around in the game a bit more I might start warming to it.

Devin Townsend - yeah this is pretty bad

Tool with the win

I'm not a huge Corey Taylor fan, but I appreciate Stone Sour infinitely more than Slipknot. In previous rounds, I consistently voted for Power Trip, but this time I'm not sure. I think I'll go with Stone Sour instead.
Avenged Sevenfold are not awful, but they are boring and overhyped. I very rarely find a listenable song of theirs. Frankly speaking, I am absolutely not in a Kodex mood right now either, but Kodex are better on a bad day, too.
I had never heard Sentenced before and it was interesting to check them out, but I'm afraid this is as far as I would go discovering them. I might be conservative, but I would vote for Megadeth without even giving it a thought.
The last pair is the easiest for me. Tool.

Back