GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Not trying to derail the thread, but I can guarantee a good portion of the crowd from the last Sabaton show I attended who kept chanting “USA!” and cheered every time they saw a gun would also applaud Jon Schaffer’s efforts to storm the capitol.
Eek. I saw Sabaton in Montreal last (also every time) and, uh, it's a different group of lads.

Eek. I saw Sabaton in Montreal last (also every time) and, uh, it's a different group of lads.
Yeah it was a first. Probably my 5th time seeing Sabaton and it was the only time that happened in any way. To be fair, the opening video about The Great War and America’s heroic involvement definitely baited them.

Not much into this Van Halen album but way less into Unless The Archers.

Behemoth is chewing gum black/ death metal. Cowboys From Hell, although it's not one of my favorites, is a pivotal record. Plus the title track, Cemetery Gates, The Art Of Shredding. Easy: Pantera.

As I said before, not a fan of Amon Amarth but there's nothing in their sound that irritates the least. Plus they have the advantage of not being Sabaton.

Necroticism is one hell of an album. The jump from the grindcore clad Symphonies of Sickness to Necroticism is gigantic. This is the revolutionary album that laid the foundations to melodic death metal (influencing the likes of At The Gates, Dark Tranquillity, In Flames, Arch Enemy among thousands of others) and that alone is priceless. Plus there's not a single bad song here: eerie and technical as hell, great guitar riffs harmonies and solos, absolutely masterful drumming... 100% Carcass.

Last edited:
There was a time when I loved everything about Van Halen. I still like the band - even enjoyed the reunion album several years back, but honestly, Archers probably do more fo me in my current state of mind. Doesn't change the fact that the opening of 'Aint Talkin' 'Bout Love is one of the best openings ever (though it's on a different album), but it's a momentary preference, let's leave it at that.

Pantera's album is a classic (and I never really overfed on them) and overplayed as it is, Cemetery Gates is just an awesome classic. And it's not as "Stanist" as the opposing team.

Amon Amarth are more fun and have more edge. And the way Sabaton are overrated around here makes me want to want to vote against them and hey - I like the band. But the adoration... man... No way I'm voting for Joakim "Don't-worry-I'm-a-push-the-constipation-out" Brodén. Sorry.

(also, am I the only one who feels that Lion from the North steals a bit from Nightwish's Planet Hell? The chorus of the former vs. the verse of the latter? @Diesel 11 ? Who else is a NW expert around here?)

As for the last, yeah, there was a time I headbanged a lot to Carcass in general and this particular album still stands as probably their best in my book, but Symph X is Symph X. No contest.

am I the only one who feels that Lion from the North steals a bit from Nightwish's Planet Hell? The chorus of the former vs. the verse of the latter?
Dunno if it’s stealing but I can see the similarities. Sabaton also took the chorus concept of “Wishmaster” and used it for “Attero Dominatus”.

Damn, I didn’t expect Carcass to overtake them. But I’ll be happy with either of them moving on to the next round because they’re both great albums.

I mean, TDWOT has great songs but it's a bit samey in style. Now Necroticism is too, but it's much easier to sit through because it's much more cohesive whereas TDWOT is more song focused...

So Symph X losing against Carcass, okay. On the other hand, SABATON ARE DYING! :clap:

Also, I wanted to ask - has anyone nominated either of the last two albums (Winter Thrice and/or True North) by Borknagar? Because I managed to completely miss the nomination phase, but I think I would nominate at least one of those and I've been listening to them a lot in the past week.

@Magnus ? Tell me you were vigilant, pretty pretty please!

Van Halen and Unleash the Archers will go to extra time at the end of the League.
Pantera cuts down Behemoth. That's it for Behemoth, and Pantera will challenge Deep Purple in League 4.
Sabaton, by one vote, stops the Viking attack in the Battle of Sweden. Amon Amarth continues in the Match 31 stream.
By two votes, Symphony X outlasts a powerful challenge from Carcass. Carcass is eliminated, and Symphony X will go up against Sepultura next time.

CynicFocus.jpg

Cynic - Focus (1993)

How it got here

List entries: DigitalDreamDoor 95
Maidenfans Nominators: @Mosh
League 5 - Match 9vs.
Stones-reach.jpg

Be’Lakor - Stone’s Reach (2009)

How it got here

List entries: n/a
Maidenfans Nominators: @Saapanael
Previous Rounds:
League 7: Defeated Paradise Lost - Draconian Times 14-13.
League 6: Defeated Venom - Black Metal 15-11.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
400px-Thelegacy.jpg

Testament - The Legacy (1987)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 84
Maidenfans Nominators: @Black Wizard
League 5 - Match 10vs.
United_Abominations.jpg

Megadeth - United Abominations (2007)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @KidInTheDark666, @Midnight
Maidenfans Nominators: n/a
Previous Rounds:
League 6: Defeated Rush - Power Windows 17 -10.[/TD]

Dimension_Hatross.jpg

Voivod - Dimension Hatröss (1988)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 78
Maidenfans Nominators: @karljant
League 5 - Match 11vs.
Alterbridge_blackbird.jpg

Alter Bridge - Blackbird (2007)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Ariana, @The Dissident
Previous Rounds:
League 6: Defeated Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal 15-12.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Van_Halen_album.jpg

Van Halen - Van Halen (1978)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 30, Metalstorm 43
Maidenfans Nominators: n/a
League 5 - Match 12vs.
Jpsinsin.JPG

Judas Priest - Sin After Sin (1977)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Forostar, @mckindog, @Saapanael
Previous Rounds:
League 6: Defeated Atlantean Kodex - The White Goddess 22-5.

Back