GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

1.) the last I checked, the continent itself was called America and yes, the countries are very intertwined - e.g. both Rush or Bryan Adams are much more popular in the US than in Europe, so I wonder where you find the faulty logic

To Canadians, "America" refers to the US. You can spend the entire night trying to argue that 30 million people are wrong or inaccurate with this, or you can just choose to accept that this is how people talk.

Nobody uses "American" to refer to the continent, it refers to things in/from the USA. After all, you weren't including Mexico or Brazil in your generalization, where BTO, nor Rush, nor Bryan Adams are particularly popular...

Of course, Canada and the USA have lots of cultural crossover. In fact, you can argue that many tentpoles of American culture are cribbed from Canada or created by Canadians (SNL, basketball, Superman, the multi-screen movie theatre, Hawaiian pizza, famous Iowan James T. Kirk, and more). But they aren't the same.

Sure, but in my original post I was talking about the idea of the popularity (or supremacy) of certain bands (MC, BTO, GFR) being an American thing, which really is a thing that doesn't always properly translate from the US to Europe. (I think yes, that Motley Crue are much more popular in the US than in Europe, so I'm not surprised if they're not generally considered a "classic" or that they're not really winning). Or for example Steve Miller Band - one of the gods or an absolutely unknown artist? (bar maybe The Joker and even then I wonder if it's not because of the Fatboy Slim cover)

Probably that's where my confusion arose, when mckindog started stressing that BTO are Canadian, which is irrelevant to that. So yes, sorry for expanding the word American to all the continent, but I indeed meant the general North American area.

EDIT: once more for clarity

I'd say that this time around it's mostly because the idea of supremacy of Motley Crue is comparable to the idea of supremacy of Bachman-Turner Overdrive or GFR, that is, a thoroughly American thing. Not necessarily wrong for it, but still hardly translatable.

I really meant it in the way that someone surprised that such a classic like MC are losing might imply that the person being surprised come from "America" (the US, Canada)... which sure, Whooten indeed does.

Voting for all the newcomers.

I have a lot of respect for Candlemass, but they just aren't for me. W.A.S.P. are the most exciting of the hair bands and their debut is a really fiery record of high octane rock 'n' roll.

Rainbow is fine but Symbolic sounds like an apocalypse. I played it a couple weeks ago for the first time in a while and literally got blown away so much more than I ever did before. Chuck's vocals are pretty much harsh spoken word, but they fit the sound. The real magic lies in the riffs. Holy shit, when some of those swoop in on you its like watching the heavens split apart.

I don't have any sort of fondness for Ænima but The Final Frontier needs to go.

Bathory is a very important band in black metal and deserve this win much more than a so-so Megadeth album.

W.A.S.P. - The only really good album from their early shock rock daze, I Wanna Be Somebody, On Your Knees, Sleeping (in the Fire), Hellion, L.O.V.E. Machine are all classic heavy metal, with the rest of the album all good. Not a huge fan of bands who write lyrics about school days/teen angst, as it seems like a cheesy way to ingratitate yourself to the fan base but at least it's only on the first album when they would have been young enough and not their 10th like another band with their song about Parental Guidance.

Candlemass - opinion given before

W.A.S.P. with the win

Death - Intro reminds me of some Suicidal Tendencies song that slips my mind now, change to fast part is good, double bass is too overpowering for a part with words though, is it Hoglan on drums, reminds me of Dark Angel either way. I won't be rushing out to buy this tomorrow but it is definitely just about on the right side of the line in the sand I have for my tolerance of extreme metal.

Rainbow - opinion given before

Rainbow with the win

Tool - did we have this song before? Bass intro reminds me of No More Tears and I'm pretty sure their last song in the game did too. Their stuff always sounds good tone wise and production, and the playing is good but I just don't get what the point of it is, it just doesn't connect with me or make me want to pay attention or get invested in it.

Iron Maiden - opinion given before, thought @LooseCannon had put the wrong track but realised I pushed play on Bathory instead:lol:

Iron Maiden with the win

Bathory - I like the groove of this, kind of like Orgasmatron, vocal is awful though. Change at 2.40 or thereabouts is a bit shit. Solo section is good, simple solo over a nice riff

Megadeth - opinion given before, @Jer won't be impressed by the horns on the remastered version :lol:

Megadeth with the win

Also, I'm genuinely a fan of all 4 of those albums I voted for, which possibly hasn't happened too often in the game so far.

Candlemass’ debut deserves to be in the top 25-50. I don’t get WASP.

Some of those riffs on the Death album are really awesome, but none of them are Gates of Babylon. Also, I really don’t like Chuck’s voice. Dio.

I don’t love either album in match three, but I think the two best songs on Ænima (Forty-Six and Two, title-ish track) are better than my favorite songs on The Final Frontier. Also, TFF has prevailed over so many better records that it just needs to go. Tool.

SFSGSW is one of Megadeth’s worst records. And it beat The Odyssey. It deserves to die in the worst of fire and I’ll gladly vote for something I truly don’t care about over it. Bathory.

edit: Also, for the “historical importance” crowd: without this Bathory album we probably wouldn’t have bands like Opeth. Without this Megadeth album we probably wouldn’t have...other Megadeth albums.

Candlemass, because I won't vote for hair metal on principle.

Rainbow, because Death just isn't my thing. I prefer Life. /dadjoke

A lot of people think that Ænima is Tool's best album, but I think it's their fourth best (and they only have five). Still, an average but unique Tool album beats an average and often formulaic Maiden reunion album for me. The Final Frontier's strongest moments are on its latter half, but as much as I like progressive music, most of those tracks overstay their welcome. On the other hand, Tool's album - while full of silly interludes and often "shock value" lyrics - defined the entire sound for the band musically. Forty-Six & 2 is a prime example of the latter. In the five years between this album and the band's crowning achievement (Lateralus), Tool greatly matured into featuring more concepts based on science and less on things that annoyed Maynard.

I hate that I have to vote for the "filler" Megadeth album that undeservingly beat one of Symphony X's masterpieces (The Odyssey), but I just can't take Bathory (or most black metal) seriously. I like some minor aspects of the black metal style, but this is too much. At least SFSGSW has two good songs in Mary Jane and In My Darkest Hour, and a few other solid tracks. Being sandwiched in between two genre-defining albums really doesn't give this album much of a shot in the long run, though. It's like a sandwich made with delicious fresh bread but with meat just past its expiration date. It's my preference here, but I won't be losing sleep if it's eliminated.

Sure, but in my original post I was talking about the idea of the popularity (or supremacy) of certain bands (MC, BTO, GFR) being an American thing, which really is a thing that doesn't always properly translate from the US to Europe. (I think yes, that Motley Crue are much more popular in the US than in Europe, so I'm not surprised if they're not generally considered a "classic" or that they're not really winning). Or for example Steve Miller Band - one of the gods or an absolutely unknown artist? (bar maybe The Joker and even then I wonder if it's not because of the Fatboy Slim cover)

Probably that's where my confusion arose, when mckindog started stressing that BTO are Canadian, which is irrelevant to that. So yes, sorry for expanding the word American to all the continent, but I indeed meant the general North American area.

EDIT: once more for clarity

I really meant it in the way that someone surprised that such a classic like MC are losing might imply that the person being surprised come from "America" (the US, Canada)... which sure, Whooten indeed does.
It’s fair to lump Canadian and American bands together in some ways because there is a lot of crossover in audience, but there are notable exceptions where some bands dont have the same popularity in one or the other countries. I don’t know what BTO’s notoriety in Canada is, but in America they are a one hit wonder for when classic rock radio runs out of stuff to play. There are several Canadian bands who have that status here but are more respected in their home countries, April Wine or Triumph spring to mind.

Rush probably would’ve had the same fate if it weren’t for a lot of grass roots promotion and touring in the states.

in America they are a one hit wonder for when classic rock radio runs out of stuff to play.
Over here "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet" and "Takin' Care of Business" get a decent amount of spins, and maybe "Let It Ride" and "Roll On Down the Highway" will get a bit of attention, but otherwise, yeah. They're about as big as marmite.

Over here "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet" and "Takin' Care of Business" get a decent amount of spins, and maybe "Let It Ride" and "Roll On Down the Highway" will get a bit of attention, but otherwise, yeah. They're about as big as marmite.
Takin' Care of Business is pretty ubiquitous in American tv/movies for the era. I'd say that counts as being bigger than marmite.

It's very rare that there's a Canadian band well-known in the USA that has a different stature in Canada.

Oh, blame me being behind the times once again.

I keep thinking how Stephen King picked his nom de plume Richard Bachman because of them... but that's not really recent, now, is it?

Okay, my bad. Should have probably picked another band, like the Steve Miller Band (or are those unknown already too?). Or Doctor Hook and the Medicine Show? Would have also avoided all the Canadian shenanigans then.

At least we all understand one another now and thank you for the responses.

Takin' Care of Business is pretty ubiquitous in American tv/movies for the era. I'd say that counts as being bigger than marmite.
You're right, I was only pulling from my experiences listening to radio and trying to find an apt comparison, lol.

Back