GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

What's clearly shown is that band, and the hair and/or glam rock affair in its entirety isn't seen as metal at large, let alone good music. They took lame aspects of VH (the good time shit) and cloned it to oblivion.

Btw I did not see Knick's post...just instant "good music" argument twice at a row.

Or, being from a certain region and of certain age, they fall headlong into the fallacy that "new" = "better".

But no, I'd say that this time around it's mostly because the idea of supremacy of Motley Crue is comparable to the idea of supremacy of Bachman-Turner Overdrive or GFR, that is, a thoroughly American thing. Not necessarily wrong for it, but still hardly translatable.

I think you all might be overthinking this one. Motley Crue isn’t very popular here, but Alter Bridge is and Blackbird is one of their highest regarded albums. Compared to other greatest metal lists, it seems like Blackbird might be over performing in this contest.

Or, being from a certain region and of certain age, they fall headlong into the fallacy that "new" = "better".

But no, I'd say that this time around it's mostly because the idea of supremacy of Motley Crue is comparable to the idea of supremacy of Bachman-Turner Overdrive or GFR, that is, a thoroughly American thing. Not necessarily wrong for it, but still hardly translatable.

Bachman Turner Overdrive is American as maple syrup, hockey pucks and saying sorry.
I will be over here , acting all passive-aggressive in a middle child kind of way.

Black Sabbath swamps Be'Lakor, to end their GMAC run. They challenge Kreator in League 2.
In Flames pulls it out at the last minute with a one vote edge to beat Megadave. There's so much Megadave left.
Alter Bridge stomps on Mötley Crüe. The Crüe are back in League 2.
Judas Priest beats Black Sabbath in a battle of titans. You'll see Black Sabbath at least once more in the tournament.

Wasp-first-album.jpg

W.A.S.P. - W.A.S.P. (1984)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 22, Metalstorm 59
Maidenfans Nominators: @Niall Kielt
League 3 - Match 13vs.
Candlemass-album-epicus-doomicus-metalicus.jpg

Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus (1986)

How it got here

List entries: DigitalDreamDoor 38
Maidenfans Nominators: @karljant, @Magnus, @Travis The Dragon
Previous Rounds:
League 4: Defeated Accept - Restless & Wild 18-10.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Symbolic_Album.jpg

Death - Symbolic (1995)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 58, Metal Kingdom 34
Maidenfans Nominators: @Saapanael
League 3 - Match 14vs.
Rainbow-longliverocknroll1.jpg

Rainbow - Long Live Rock ‘n’ Roll (1978)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 46, Metalstorm 44, DigitalDreamDoor 90
Maidenfans Nominators: n/a
Previous Rounds:
League 4: Defeated Iced Earth - Horror Show 17-13.

Aenima.jpg

Tool - Aenima (1996)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 18, DigitalDreamDoor 77
Maidenfans Nominators: @Lampwick 43
League 3 - Match 15vs.
The_Final_Frontier_cover.jpg

Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier (2010)

How it got here

List entries: n/a
Maidenfans Nominators: @Collin
Previous Rounds:
League 11: Defeated Bruce Dickinson - Balls to Picasso 18-5.
League 10: Defeated Nightwish - Dark Passion Play 16-8.
League 9: Defeated Slipknot - Vol 3: The Subliminal Verses 24-2.
League 8: Defeated Megadeth - Endgame 24-7.
League 7: Defeated Avenged Sevenfold - Waking the Fallen 20-5.
League 6: Defeated Slayer - Show No Mercy 21-10.
League 5: Defeated Korn - Korn 27-2.
League 4: Defeated Nightwish - Oceanborn 22-8.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bathory_Sign.jpg

Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark (1987)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 81, DigitalDreamDoor 15
Maidenfans Nominators: @Dityn DJ James
League 3 - Match 16vs.
Megadeth-SoFar.jpg

Megadeth - So Far, So Good… So What! (1988)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 49
Maidenfans Nominators: @Jer
Previous Rounds:
League 4: Defeated Symphony X - The Odyssey 18-11.

Last edited:
Bachman Turner Overdrive is American as maple syrup, hockey pucks and saying sorry.

1.) the last I checked, the continent itself was called America and yes, the countries are very intertwined - e.g. both Rush or Bryan Adams are much more popular in the US than in Europe, so I wonder where you find the faulty logic

2.) as far as the popularity goes, you want to say that BTO's (just like GFR's) popularity in the US is not a thing?

In this round we have three mega classic extreme metal albums. They’re also each going against some pretty mediocre opponents. It will be interesting to see if any advance.

1.) the last I checked, the continent itself was called America and yes, the countries are very intertwined - e.g. both Rush or Bryan Adams are much more popular in the US than in Europe, so I wonder where you find the faulty logic
Nobody uses "American" to refer to the continent, it refers to things in/from the USA. After all, you weren't including Mexico or Brazil in your generalization, where BTO, nor Rush, nor Bryan Adams are particularly popular...

Of course, Canada and the USA have lots of cultural crossover. In fact, you can argue that many tentpoles of American culture are cribbed from Canada or created by Canadians (SNL, basketball, Superman, the multi-screen movie theatre, Hawaiian pizza, famous Iowan James T. Kirk, and more). But they aren't the same.

Back