GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Emperor is crushed by Iron Maiden, being eliminated from the GMAC. Next up is Iron Maiden vs. Iron Maiden in a battle of the 80s vs the 2000s.
Iron Maiden swats away Def Leppard's challenge. That's it for the other NWOBHM band, and Maiden will face...interesting...Iron Maiden, in a battle of the 2010s and the very early 1980s.
Well, I see this as a win-win situation. Second league will be more interesting and first league will be more diverse (as it should have be).
I am voting the same as Spambot.
Wow, that really happened. I don't think I ever voted as somebody else or vice versa. Actually, in previous round it was more of a deal who am I not voting for (Burzum/Death). As per current round:

Dream Theater. Not my favorite album of theirs, but definitely the one that got me into them. Looking back, I'd say this one is a bit uneven, but the high are really, really high.
Bruce Dickinson. Despite the fact I don't care much about Running Wild, something really strong would have to come to make me vote against this one.
Judas Priest. I still need dig deep into Awake, but Firepower is the one I liked at the first listen. It's one of those albums I'll rarely remember, but when I do, I'll give it a spin.
Eh, the last pair. I'm done skipping bands that I think have great potential but I still haven't found time to listen to (Symphony X, Opeth and similar). Mainly because I don't want to rush through these album (I need some time to get into more progressive music) but also because albums they'll be paired against will be stronger and stronger. Like this one. Brave New World is the album that got me into heavier music and changed my life in a way that I am the person who I am today. Iron Maiden, no contest (and I'll probably vote for this one until the very end).

Annihalator moves on past Burzum without any challenges. In League 2: Metallica. Or should I say...Metallica.

Good for them I bought the album after that round because they won't be going to get much more opportunities to entice me.:lol:

Firepower is decent but Awake is a prog metal masterpiece. Come on, you’re voting for a bunch of old guys who made a well-produced album over young guys bursting with energy and inspiration. John Petrucci’s solos on Awake are like “what the hell was he even playing? My guitar doesn’t have those notes”.
Awake is hard to get into, I admit. It took me a while to appreciate it, while Firepower is balls to the wall heavy metal. But come on!

Dream Theatre - not for me, similar to tool comments previously, it sounds fine and is played well but I'm not captured in a visceral way in any shape or form by this sort of thing

Running Wild - opinion given before

Running Wild with the win

Bruce Dickinson - A flawless record, won't go into too much detail as I'm sure we all are more than familiar with it, highlights, Book of Thel, Chemical Wedding, Jerusalem, The Alchemist but all tracks are great, if Machine Men is your weak link then you've got a strong album

Gamma Ray - opinion given before

Bruce Dickinson
with the win

Dream Theatre - I have this record, I think I gave it one listen

Judas Priest - opinion given before

Judas Priest with the win

Iron Maiden - expanded opinion here , a great return to form and 6 really strong Maiden tracks, Mercenary and Fallen Angel are on about the same level as the 2 fillers you'ld get on an average 80's album, Nomad and large sections of Dream of Mirrors aren't great

Symphony X - see opinion of Dream Theatre and Tool, the guitar player in these has a decent tone and a bit of aggression in comparison to the other two bands

Iron Maiden with the win

Yeah, to think how useful would it be to actually acquaint people with Huxley's vision, which we are living in today. And instead you'll get some vague Dickinson shit - yet again - about dying swans and "what you see is not real" and dragon kings and all everything that's more the pseudo-mysticism of Crowley than anything from the original novel.

False advertising, I say, and a reason for disqualification indeed.

Running Wild - Death or Glory
Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding
Judas Priest - Firepower
Iron Maiden - Brave New World

All great albums.

I know that you're going to take me to the spanish inquisition by act of heresy but I have to say that I don't like Dream Theater at all. I don't like their music, it's boring, the singer vocals and I always hated their halo of arrogance as the Rush successors…And I hate Portnoy and his thousand of bands and supergroups. He must be the person who are everyday in metal news with a different band as if he was the inventor of drums.
But hey if there's a battle between Dream Theater and Pearl Jam someday I will go for Dream Theater.

I just can't comprehend the votes in the third match. Firepower is a fine album. It scratches that metal itch, and there's nothing bad about it by any means, but let's be real here, does it really belong among the top 100 greatest metal albums of all time? Among the greatest of the the great? Awake, however, is truly elite in every sense of the word.

I just can't comprehend the votes in the third match. Firepower is a fine album. It scratches that metal itch, and there's nothing bad about it by any means, but let's be real here, does it really belong among the top 100 greatest metal albums of all time? Among the greatest of the the great? Awake, however, is truly elite in every sense of the word.

No, I don't think Firepower deserves this spot, but it's up against an album that I like less. That's just how it is.

BNW should be disqualified.
....:huh:
Firepower is a fine album. It scratches that metal itch, and there's nothing bad about it by any means, but let's be real here, does it really belong among the top 100 greatest metal albums of all time? Among the greatest of the the great?
Firepower is a modern classic for Priest and one of their all time best albums. Not a single bad song. Totally deserves this spot IMO.

Firepower is a fine album. It scratches that metal itch, and there's nothing bad about it by any means, but let's be real here, does it really belong among the top 100 greatest metal albums of all time? Among the greatest of the the great?
Yes, and I would argue that it’s Top 10 worthy.

Here’s the thing: Firepower made me care about Priest in a way I never had before. I knew a lot of the big hits obviously, but hearing made me interested in actually going through and listen to the other albums. My first thought wasn’t even that “this was a great record”, I thought the production was immaculate but otherwise it was just yadda yadda metal. But the thing about Priest is that you’ve got to take them where they are. They aren’t as serious as Iron Maiden, they just write riffs and play solos and sing stuff about monsters and the brotherhood of metal on top of that. If you can’t except that, then their whole discography is pretty much bunkum. But I was able to appreciate that for what it is, and Firepower is easily the pinnacle of their career.

Most people would point to like, British Steel, Screaming for Vengeance, Defenders of the Faith, or Painkiller as their best, but all those albums have weak points. BS is fine but it doesn’t really jive with me outside of “Breaking the Law”. SFV is great, but it’s not fiery enough for my taste. DOTF would rival FP if it wasn’t for the stupid fucking finale tracks. And PK packs a punch, but also has weaker tracks, especially “Metal Meltdown”.

With Firepower, every song is great. Every song. And that’s honestly amazing when you think about how band has struggled ever since Rob left in the ‘90s. The Ripper albums really aren’t great, and his return was a pretty iconic moment in metal, but didn’t set them up for success like Iron Maiden with BNW. And of course following up Angel of Retribution was the immense snoozefest that is Nostradamus doesn’t help. Then KK Downing, who’d been with them forever, left the group, leaving a young Ritchie Faulkner to fill in those massive shoes. On Redeemer of Souls they were still trying to find their footing in the new lineup. And also, you gotta remember that for ten years or so, Glenn Tipton was struggling with Parkinson’s, which made him exit the band as a touring unit after Firepower. So the fact that the band sounds as good as it does is an utter miracle. And the fact that each of the 14 songs are legitimately great is even more amazing.

There’s really no breathing space here aside from the intros, “Guardians”, and the first half of “Sea of Red”. Everything else balls to the wall, pedal to the metal. When “Firepower” ends it launches directly into the heavy as fuck “Lightning Strike”. The riffs here are amazing. The instrumental parts of “Traitor’s Gate” are absolutely pummeling. And Rob sounds better than he has in years, and I’m not even talking about the highs (which on songs like “Necromancer” are really impressive). But even his lower register is surprisingly more powerful than you’d expect, and in “Sea of Red” the emotion in his voice is legitimately chilling. Speaking of which, one thing I didn’t pick up at first is that “Sea of Red” ends the record without a proper outro, and it finally clicked that, of course it shouldn’t, because it should leave you wanting more — it brings your expectations up for Priest’s next album, and lets you hit play on the album again. That’s pretty cool.

Yeah it’s a bunch of old guys playing with pristine production. That’s not a diss, that’s a compliment. The fact that a bunch of old geezers in their 70s could make music this good is incredible. I like more bombastic music as a whole, but when I want to listen to a straight-forward, fiery metal album, Firepower is an easy pick. In my mind it’s the best thing the band has ever created and deserves a spot among the titans of the genre. In addition, it’s not boring like Awake is. I don’t care if it’s impressive musically. Music is more impressive when it’s good than when it’s technical.

So was Faulkner on FP. And the rest were still old and hungry. Rather than sitting on their laurels, they pushed themselves. I dunno which one is more impressive, but Firepower is the better result.

Most people would point to like, British Steel, Screaming for Vengeance, Defenders of the Faith, or Painkiller as their best, but all those albums have weak points.
With Firepower, every song is great. Every song.

Come on. Every song great? Lone Wolf for example?

Painkiller really has no real weak points. Firepower has. It is not that hard to find at least one or more lesser moments, somewhere in this bunch. Hard to find such moments of the same weakness on Painkiller.

9."Flame Thrower"4:34
10."Spectre"4:24
11."Traitors Gate"5:43
12."No Surrender"2:54
13."Lone Wolf"5:09
14."Sea of Red"5:51

Last edited:
Back