GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

And the mighty Limp Bizkit:

Fucked-up aids
From fucked-up sex
Fake-ass titties
On a fucked-up chest
We're all fucked up
So what you wanna do?
With fucked-up me
And fucked-up you

Fuck you
You're a fucking wanker
I'm gonna kick you right in the balls
Fuck you
Fuck you with an anchor
You're all cunts so fuck you all
That's the song I was thinking of. Have you heard the rewritten version? "Flipped With A Sausage". It's incredibly silly!

Nothing here was physically painful to listen to, so that alone makes it the best round so far.

I'm with the majority in every match: Rage, Down, Virgin Steele, & Helloween.

Also, that Aria album had some blatant Maiden ripoffs. Just listen to the title track of the album, from 3:17 to about 4:35, and you'll see what I mean:

The first pair is the hardest. I like the Rage album more, although it's nothing spectacular, just good ol' fashioned eurothrash of sorts. Body Count is a seminal band in metal history, and the music isn't as bad as I feared. I'll toss the vote to Body Count.

Moonglow isn't great, but neither is Down. I mean, ugh. Phil Anselmo...I'll go with Avantasia.

Virgin Steele. This is one of the bands that I was really excited about in this early round of the game. Arya was another, and while their Maiden ripoffs are obvious, they are still fun.

I think I like Helloween a little more.

The Avantasia album did much better than I expected - but that might be because some people really hate Down. It's an underwhelming album which basically rehashed things from previous Avantasia albums. I can't possibly imagine why Metal Kingdom put it in their top 100 Metal albums. I suppose that bodes well for the rest of Avantasia's discography. ::)

Body Count. Body Count Body Count, Body Count.

Down had great songs (Temptation's wings, Pillars of Eternity, everything from Eyes of the South to the end).
Avantasia was also good in their own way but I prefer Down's style.

Aria was awesome, especially the title track, and considering I don't understand a word.
Total blowout for Virgin Steele, one of the best things I've ever heard O:

Only had time for a few tracks, but I didn't enjoy Heavenly much.

Body Count has been eliminated from the game. Unsurprisingly, this was the only album from them in the game. Rage will face The Dillinger Escape Plan in the next round.

A decent victory for Down. Avantasia's Moonglow has been removed, but they have two albums left in the game. We'll see Tobias Sammett and friends next in League 8.

Virgin Steele defeats Arya handily. The Russian metal stalwarts will show up later in League 17!

Helloween defeats knockoff Heavenly. The French power metal "masters" will return in League 15.

SonataArctica_Ecliptica.jpg

Sonata Arctica - Ecliptica (1999)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Kingdom 71
League 17 - Match 17vs.
Ascendancy_album_cover.jpg

Trivium - Ascendancy (2005)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Kingdom 93
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ministry-Psalm69.jpg

Ministry - Psalm 69: The Way to Succeed and the Way to Suck Eggs (1992)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 80
League 17 - Match 18vs.
Rhapsody_symphony_of_the_enchanted_lands.jpg

Rhapsody - Symphony of Enchanted Lands (1998)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Kingdom 87

Angra_-_Rebirth_%282001%29.jpg

Angra - Rebirth (2001)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Kingdom 79
League 17 - Match 19vs.
TS_UnderBlade1.jpg

Twisted Sister - Under the Blade (1982)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 87
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unquestionablepresence.jpg

Atheist - Unquestionable Presence (1991)

How it got here

List entries: DigitalDreamDoor 69
League 17 - Match 20vs.
R-12248482-1531389328-4062.jpeg.jpg

Buckethead - Pepper’s Ghost (2007)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 93

Sonata Arctica - not turnoffable but I find it very hard to tell one power metal band apart from another

Trivium - another singer starting every word with a W, and chinese water toture drums, full house of my pet hates, other wise what they do is ok.

I really don't care who wins this, but Trivium have a bit more backbone.

Ministry - I remember this video from back in the day on HBB, didn't rate it then, more novelty stuff

Rhapsody - cut and paste my sonata arctica opinion

another one where I hope whoever wins this one gets knocked out in the next round, but I'll give Rhapsody the win since at least it's not looped samples.

Angra - more identity than the other two power metal bands so far but still nothing to make me consider checking another track

Twisted Sister - the only album this round that I own, I'm not a huge fan but they get a listen once in a blue moon and have more than enough to win this round.

Twisted Sister with the win

Atheist - this is rubbish, sounds like flea wandered into dark angels rehearsal room

Buckethead - no interest in this sort of stuff

Buckethead with the win by default.

That last match is a bummer. Love Buckethead but Atheist is a classic.

Back