GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Just wondering how you come up with the league match ups?

Is it like the FA Cup* and Powerslave gets a by* into the third round* not having to face non-league* albums like Korn unless they win a few rounds first?

* these are football references for any non-sports fans in case there is any confusion.

some of the albums nominated by Black Wizard are showing up as having 0 total nominations for some reason.
200.gif

@LooseCannon other mistakes that you've made in your spreadsheet:

• 'The Wicked Symphony' is recorded as an Anthrax album in your spreadsheet. It's an Avantasia album.
  • 'The Way of All Flesh' received at least 3 nominations, not 2.
  • 'The Jester Race' by In Flames received at least 2 nominations, not 1.

Last edited:
I've heard four of these albums: Monoliths & Dimensions, Sunbather, The Sound of Perseverance and Blessed Are the Sick.

The Sound of Perseverance is the only certain decision here, I'll spend a bit of time with the unfamiliar material. Probably choose a sample of a couple of tracks.

Also, some of the numbers don't quite add up. For instance, Me and Ariana both nominated Ten by Pearl Jam, but it's only showing up as having 1 total nomination, and I also noticed that some of the albums nominated by Black Wizard are showing up as having 0 total nominations for some reason.
This seems to be an artifact of me alphabetizing the members and not correcting the totals column. That was done after albums were entered into the game so it shouldn't impact anything. I've corrected it.

Holy cow, these posts must take long to make, LC.

It took about a half hour to do the update work, another half hour to write the intro. I'll be better on the update work next time as I've invented some shortcuts.

By the way, I was very strict in not selecting bands that were not on metal archives. It cost the nomination of some great records. Now I see Nirvana, Led Zeppelin and Pearl Jam are nominated. These bands are not on the site. (not the biggest deal, but it sort of deviates from what I expected; maybe I should have brought in my pick and it would have been tolerated)

The rules were clear that "Some exceptions may apply. Feel free to ask." Feel free to support your favourites that you would have nominated!

Note for Loose Cannon: AC/DC do not have an album called Flick of the Wrist, it's Flick of the Switch
I changed it. AC/DC's albums will now be reprinted.

• 'The Wicked Symphony' is recorded as an Anthrax album in your spreadsheet. It's an Avantasia album.
I changed it. Anthrax will record a cover version and release it.

Also, it's "Vreid", not "Vried".
I could care less.

Just wondering how you come up with the league match ups?

Is it like the FA Cup* and Powerslave gets a by* into the third round* not having to face non-league* albums like Korn unless they win a few rounds first?

* these are football references for any non-sports fans in case there is any confusion.
Yeah, except Powerslave is one of the more nominated albums and gets a bye much later on. You won't see Powerslave for some time.

I had a quick look through the Maiden fans list some intersting observations

1) I have 135 out of the 413 albums nominated. A few more are albums I'm familar with but don't own, or albums I used to own and a fair few more I have other albums from the nominated artist.
2) Blaze has more nominated albums than Bruce :lol:
3) Some surprise big albums not being nominated from artists who had other albums nominated

Which ones?

the Ultra-Violence, maybe not a big album commercially but I would have thought this would be the only Death Angel album with a chance of being nominated

Hysteria, I understand most "heavy" fans wouldn't be nominating this but I would have though Leppard fans would

The Real Thing, although Angel Dust only had 2 nominations so maybe no one likes FNM on here

First Hammerfall album surely if you're nominating them

Maybe Extreme Aggression or Coma of Souls for Kreator

Burn My Eyes, that was huge back in the day

Melissa!

I'm not a huge Overkill fan but I would have thought Under the Influence was their big album

No more tears, again like FNM, Ozzy doesn't seem to have a lot of fans on here, even the Sabbath albums, Heaven and Hell getting much more nominations than the Ozzy albums

2112!

I would have thought Arise more likely on here than Roots

First Skid Row, again another like FNM and Ozzy though, Slave to the Grind only got one nomination

South of Heaven and Show No Mercy I would have thought certainties

First Van Halen

The Headless Children, although again I would have expected more nominations in general for WASP

Another funny observation, I only don't have 3 Megadeth albums, and that includes having Hidden Treasures and Still Alive and Well, yet all 3 of those I don't have were nominated out of only 7 nominations :lol:

Last edited:
I can't rate Sun O))) in a 'greatest metal album' survivor, sorry. They cross the experimental border by a long way in my book, and I'd prefer to stick to something more firmly in the metal camp. Korn are a solid example of nu-metal, far easier on the ear and more melodic. Perhaps not the greatest shining example of metal overall, but a very good example of nu metal, and this album is Korn at their prime.

I'm not familiar with Deafhaven, and didn't particularly enjoy this, it makes me think of a blend of black metal and The Cure. Death have a great sound here, are a defining band of a sub-genre, and had perfected their style at this point, so definitely 100% getting behing Death here.

X Japan are okay, but I've got to come out in support of Evanescence here. Fallen is a very well crafted album start to finish and easily Evanescence's best. Bring Me To Life is a slightly atypical track, featuring a guest male singer from another band. To those of you not familiar with any other tracks, try Everybody's Fool, Imaginary and My Last Breath. The soft piano-based My Immortal also gets a lot of acclaim. I still regularly dip into this album.

Morbid Angel are decent rough-around-the-edges death metal. Accept are a bit generic, but have some catchy enough songs on this album. Teutonic Terror is one of the better examples.

Just one more observation, here's the top 25 albums from Maidenfans forum, I went with 25 since that's how many we were asked to nominate:

Judas PriestPainkiller
MetallicaMaster of Puppets
Bruce DickinsonChemical Wedding
Iron MaidenPowerslave
Iron MaidenA Matter of Life and Death
Iron MaidenBrave New World
Iron MaidenSomewhere in Time
MegadethRust in Peace
QueensrycheOperation: Mindcrime
Black SabbathHeaven and Hell
DioHoly Diver
Iron MaidenPiece of Mind
MetallicaRide the Lightning
Iron MaidenSeventh Son of a Seventh Son
Dream TheaterImages and Words
Iron MaidenIron Maiden
Iron MaidenThe Number of the Beast
RainbowRising
Judas PriestDefenders of the Faith
Alice in ChainsDirt
Bruce DickinsonAccident of Birth
Dream TheaterMetropolis Pt 2: Scenes From a Memory
Iron MaidenThe Book of Souls
MetallicaAnd Justice For All
SabatonArt of War

And the most typical user of Maidenfans is Dr. Eddies Wingman who nominated 17 of these albums.

3 way tie for least typical user, Lampwick 43 , Magnus and Night Prowler with one album each. No one had no albums from the top 25.

Back