GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Some decent stuff on Sons Of Apollo album, Billy Sheehan is a proper player and I love him but theres no possibility they win over an album featuring Sweet Little Sister and Youth Gone Wild. Plenty of filler on Skid Rows debut but nostalgia and a couple of brilliant songs win the day.

Ah, Death, again. There are enjoyable riffs here and there but I really struggle to listen to this kind of music. Monotonous noise. After a couple of songs I wonder @why the fuck am I doing this to myself?' This Baroness album isn't great but it least it doesn't feel like a vice tightening on my brain. Seems like the drummer is pretty good.

The Shadow Hunter sums up Angra for me; some great moments but mainly a pile of shite with irritating high pitched vocals. I have no doubt that they could provide me with an enjoyable playlist but theres a lot of pish on here. I like funk and I like metal but I do not quite like Livin Colour. My 'mates' have been known to put on Cult of Personality at partys just to annoy me.

This McAlpine cat can play but I dont really care. I also dont really care for Pantera, aside from a few deadly tunes.

They are one of the ultimate knuckle dragging bands,
As a knuckle-dragging cornfed hick from the Red States, I resemble that remark!
No, Pantera weren't poets. But that's OK. Sometimes you want thoughtful lyrics and pleasing melodies, and sometimes you just want aggressive, kick-ass rockers. Bob Dylan may have won the Nobel Prize for literature, but give me Slayer or Pantera or AC/DC or Motörhead or [you get the idea] every time instead.

By the way, I voted for Tony over Pantera. But still. Pantera served a purpose.

Let's all remember that at least 50% of ex-Pantera members are/were white supremacists:

R4QUmz.gif

Phil Anselmo was also yelling "white power" at this show.

And what's this on the world's most overrated guitarist's guitar? Oh yes, it's the flag that glorifies slavery.

1596351950539.png

I would say that Pantera should be cancelled, but they haven't existed for 17 years and half of them are dead anyway.

Let's all remember that at least 50% of ex-Pantera members are/were white supremacists:

R4QUmz.gif

Phil Anselmo was also yelling "white power" at this show.

And what's this on the world's most overrated guitarist's guitar? Oh yes, it's the flag that glorifies slavery.

View attachment 12503

I would say that Pantera should be cancelled, but they haven't existed for 17 years and half of them are dead anyway.
Totally accept this. And you could have simply stated that to begin with instead of talking nonsense about people who listen to Pantera. Bare in mind, this wasn't that obvious (to me anyway) when I was a teenager listening to Pantera in the 90's though. Also, I think Dimebag was buried in a Kiss coffin. That's got to count for something, surely?

1. You are not a guitarist, you don't get to say whose playing is overrated.
Yes I do. Anyone can comment on this regardless of their guitar playing abilities. If we can only comment on things we can do ourselves then what's the point in talking about music at all? Next time someone who isn't a musician, football player or politician criticizes someone else from one of those professions I will remember to tell them they don't get to comment on that career.
2. Let's cancel Iced Earth too, as Jon Schaffer wears the same flag everywhere.
Jon doesn't take this to the same level as Pantera did though. He wears a Confederate bandana sometimes but Pantera used it on a lot of merchandise and on album covers. Dimebag's guitar is a hell of a lot more visible and a much bigger statement too. You didn't address the issue of Pantera's white supremacy though - are you trying to justify it? :blink:
Totally accept this. And you could have simply stated that to begin with instead of talking nonsense about people who listen to Pantera. Bare in mind, this wasn't that obvious (to me anyway) when I was a teenager listening to Pantera in the 90's though. Also, I think Dimebag was buried in a Kiss coffin. That's got to count for something, surely?
It wasn't nonsense. Loads of meatheads/knuckle draggers love Pantera. I'm not saying that all people who like Pantera are meatheads, but from what I've observed a large portion of their fanbase appear to be. My initial comments were in response to what The Flash said. I totally understand that you wouldn't have been aware of the racist symbology associated with Pantera when you were a teenager in the 90s - it's something I've only become aware of in the last couple of years too - and I get why people who grew up listening to Pantera still love them as nobody else was doing that at the time. However, with the benefit of hindsight the whole testosterone-fuled macho sound and racist symbols were obviously aimed at a particular demographic e.g. the sort of people I've alluded to.

I can't comment on what Dimebag being buried in a Kiss coffin means. Perhaps he thought that Gene Simmons is a really humble guy?

1. You are not a guitarist, you don't get to say whose playing is overrated.
This is silly. One could use the same “logic” to say that because you are (presumably) not a professional music reviewer, that you don’t get to critique others’ evaluations of music. Oops.

I am, in fact, not commenting on others' evaluation on music. I stated earlier I had no problem with people not liking Pantera. Except for you. I had no idea you disliked Pantera until yesterday, but when I found out you did, it was a huge relief for me. I would hate to think you and I had something in common.

@Black Wizard, are you seriously asking me if I am a white supremacist or if I support that? I will simply accept you haven't had your Weetabix yet.

I stated earlier I had no problem with people not liking Pantera. Except for you. I had no idea you disliked Pantera until yesterday, but when I found out you did, it was a huge relief for me. I would hate to think you and I had something in common.
tenor.gif

@Black Wizard, are you seriously asking me if I am a white supremacist or if I support that? I will simply accept you haven't had your Weetabix yet.
I did have my Weetabix this morning actually. I don't seriously think you're a white supremacist or that you support it, but you deflected the issue rather than address it. So do you think their imagery is acceptable and that it's OK for Phil Anselmo to be making Nazi salutes or not?

I don't see why I should be stating any political views on the matter here. I never even remotely mentioned anything about Pantera that does not directly relate to their music. Their "imagery" is in no way different to me than Schaffer's, I'm sorry. Anselmo's a drug addict and a drunk. I don't care about his views or antics. He's not a good person. None of this is in any way relevant to me in terms of my appreciation of Pantera's music. Lastly, why would I even have to answer to you?

For the record, because you insist - no, I don't.

Their "imagery" is in no way different to me than Schaffer's
None of Iced Earth's album covers, other than 'The Glorious Burden' (for appropriate reasons), have any Confederate imagery and I can't think of any Iced Earth merchandise with the flag but there might be some for all I know. The point is that Jon wears the Confederate flag as a personal thing and it's not inextricably tied in with the promotion of his band. Pantera, on the other hand, are completely associated with that flag and therefore all its connotations.

why would I even have to answer to you?
You don't have to of course, but it wouldn't hurt to answer. Nothing wrong with condemning racist symbols.

Phil Anselmo, to be fair, has apologized for that whole “white power” / Nazi salute incident. That being said, I wouldn’t put much stock in it because he’s always angry and bitter and seems to get mad at the people who called him out, and any comments defended him end up sounding not-so-very progressive.

So it’s easy to call Anselmo a white supremacist. Harder for Dimebag though, because his only crime from what I’ve been able to find is just having the Confederate battle flag painted on his guitar. Wiz has obviously never lived in the States — specifically the southern states — because if he had maybe he wouldn’t be making sweeping generalizations as he does. I’m from Virginia, you see the Confederate flag everywhere. I have had to fight to convince people I’ve grown up with that it’s actually a hateful symbol. To the people who use it — aside from some extremists — they look on it as a part of their heritage. It takes time to help them understand the actual ramifications of the flag and why it’s so heinous to a lot of people. Branding them a racist will only make them defensive and not listen to what you’re saying.

Dimebag died in 2004. A lot of people used the flag as a part of their image around the time Pantera was big. As the 21st century has progressed, however, more and more people have come to understand why using the flag as their symbol is bad. Dimebag is dead and cannot defend himself nor make amends for using the flag as part of his image. To him it was likely due to his southern heritage, or the rebellious image Pantera wanted to use. Perhaps given the chance he would have apologized for it and moved on.

To be honest, Jon Schaffer’s usage of the flag may be even worse since he isn’t even from the south and therefore I don’t know what sort of “heritage” of his could use the flag. Maybe he adopted it on his move to Florida, or maybe it came along when he went batshit conservative. I dunno. But he’s in a day and age where people of his caliber have already apologized for using the flag — why then is he wearing the bandana? Hmm...

In addition to what Diesel just said, both Rex and Phil have repeatedly stated that the use of the Confederate flag was mostly a Lynyrd Skynyrd reference. Rex has also publicly apologized for it, if that even matters. Like I said, I don't care about Anselmo and his actions. But I know Pantera's music and their influences and I know that there is absolutely no political, religious or any other potentially controversial message worth noting.
Your view on Pantera to me looks like a confirmation bias - you don't like them, so you will look for anything that confirms your opinion and makes them look bad.

Dimebag died in 2004. A lot of people used the flag as a part of their image around the time Pantera was big.

Exactly, not that I'm making excuses for it, it was inexcusable back then but it doesn't have the same impact as it does today. We're a bit more enlightened today, wearing the confederate flag in the past had a rock n roll element, a "cool" element, whereas wearing the confederate flag now today is an unambiguous endorsement of racism. I'm not saying it was acceptable in the past, they should have known better, but they didn't.

It's also total hypocrisy to be lecturing others on Pantera if you yourself listen to bands/artists today who spout bullshit.

Wiz, you're a huge Megadeth fan; do you endorse everything Dave utters? It doesn't matter to me, but it should matter to you.

Back