GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

What is it that makes people hate Pantera so much? I'm genuinely interested because they're one of my all-time favourite bands and I think about 80% of everyone I know hates them.
It´s not that I hate them, I don´t like their music. Just a matter of taste I guess...

I thought that whenever I have the energy, I will find info about the bands unknown to me, and watch lyrics versions of the example songs. That's what I did today. Sons of Apollo warmed up a bit slowly, and didn't really excite me. However, I disliked Skid Row when I was young, so I decided I won't choose it this time. Also, I love romantic songs as much as the next person, but the example song was so sugary that it made me sick.

As with many bands loved and respected by others, I will have to confess my defeat and admit I don't understand or like Death. I tried to, but I just don't get it. To my surprise, the witch screaming voice was gone this time. I watched the lyric video, and the story was quite... um, interesting. Made me slightly queasy to listen to it. I may be too sensitive for this type of stuff. Baroness doesn't really do much for me, but it doesn't have as disturbing lyrics, so I'll choose it this time.

I really liked the Angra song on one of the previous rounds, but this wasn't as good, it was more power-metally and not in a good way. But I guess it was better than Living Colour, there was something about the style of their lyrics I didn't like, too simple and a bit stupid maybe.

Skilled guitar-playing, such as Tony MacAlpine, is ok and not unpleasant, but it leaves me a bit cold. Perhaps because I really like songs with lyrics. Pantera's music is too aggressive to my taste, so guitar playing for the win.

What is it that makes people hate Pantera so much? I'm genuinely interested because they're one of my all-time favourite bands and I think about 80% of everyone I know hates them.

Hate is a strong word, but the reasons I dislike them are 1) Dislike the scooped mids sound, 2) Dislike their songwriting, 3) They sound aggressive in a high school bully or dumb frat boy kind of way to me and that's hard to ignore when their attitude is so front and center to their style.

Reactions: Jer
Re: Pantera

I was a fan back in the day but drifted away with Far Beyond Driven as already mentioned in the thread, but I still own CFH and VDOP (and FBD actually) with Vulgar display still getting listens occasionally, they're both good albums. The bonehead image can be seperated from the music easily enough, and re: nu-metal I always thought unlike a lot of bands in those days, they always were respectful of and open about the influences of classic metal bands like Priest/Kiss etc. whereas a lot of their peers would try and distance themselves from those type of bands and Maiden etc.

Mostly indifferent to Pantera, supporting MacAlpine as an underdog and great often overlooked guitarist.

Scream Bloody Gore is the hardcore Death pick. It might be the best album, but it’s not as immediately accessible as Perseverance, which makes it a bit of an underdog here.

They sound aggressive in a high school bully or dumb frat boy kind of way to me and that's hard to ignore when their attitude is so front and center to their style
They are one of the ultimate knuckle dragging bands, along with Slayer, Machine Head and Lamb of God. They have a few good songs like 'Cemetery Gates' and 'Hollow' but I don't feel the need to hear 'Cowboys From Hell' or 'Walk' ever again. Pantera are the sort of band whose most popular songs get played time and time again at Rock bars and over the PA between bands at gigs/festivals which sends the knuckle draggers into a frenzy.

Perhaps one needs to have grown up in the 90s to get Pantera. Maybe they were good back then, but they're hardly the thinking mans' Metal band.

That's a terrible example, Cried. 'Quest for Fire' is not even close to being one of Iron Maiden's best known songs, and wouldn't illicit the same kind of response from the knuckle draggers as something like 'Cowboys From Hell'.

The response to 'Hallowed be thy Name', or any of Iron Maiden's best known songs, is very different to the reactions triggered by 'Walk' or 'Cowboys From Hell'.

I'm ridiculing your totally irrelevant charaterization of Pantera as not a "thinking mans' Metal band". What's that got to do with the price of fish?
I understand the idiom "what's that got to do with the price of fish" but I don't see you really addressing the point Wiz is trying to make. If you think that Pantera is in fact a thinking man's metal band, I'd like to see why you believe that. Or if you think that Maiden is a "dumb" band, then same thing. Hallowed has a handful of words plucked from another band, but it's a pretty deeply thought piece all the same. And there's a lot of similar ones in Maiden's catalogue. I'm not familiar with Pantera enough to say one way or the other - but curious if there's something Wiz is missing.

And what's Wiz's point exactly? Who gives a shit if the lyrics aren't "thinking mans' Metal"? Whatever that is; which was also my point. It's kinda irrelevant to whether you think Dimebag is a great guitarist, for example. All everyone is referencing is aggression. Pantera had groove; there's something Wiz is missing...

Wizards description of Pantera as a knuckle draggin band annoys me. I dont know the bands stuff well but I have joyously romped to the likes of Walk in many a rock bar. I may well got into a frenzy, as Wizard puts it, when I hear a Machine Head or Pantera song over the PA, it doesn't mean that I beat the wife or support fascism. Im disappointed in you, Wizz Bomb, its a shocking judgement of people and music to suggest that aggressive music and behaviour comes from intrinsically bad people. Shame on ye.

The response to 'Hallowed be thy Name', or any of Iron Maiden's best known songs, is very different to the reactions triggered by 'Walk' or 'Cowboys From Hell'.
Triggered in whom? Are you willing to bet that the reactions triggered by Hallowed or Walk are universal for everyone?

Of course Pantera are a knuckle dragging band. I play them loud and proud and beat up my wife daily.

Back