GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

I decided not to nominate too many Iron Maiden albums to put more variety in the game, but included 'Dance of Death' since it's not too popular here and is genuinely one of my favourite Iron Maiden albums.

I regret nominating so many now since a) they were going to get nominated anyway and b) I missed the chance to push something like the Devil's Blood who I think people here might like, but when I was nominating I went with what I thought were actually the best 25 albums. I had to drop a few albums when Loose Cannon rejected my live album nominees so I threw a couple of curve balls in then.

:cheers:
I regret nominating so many now since a) they were going to get nominated anyway and b) I missed the chance to push something like the Devil's Blood who I think people here might like, but when I was nominating I went with what I thought were actually the best 25 albums. I had to drop a few albums when Loose Cannon rejected my live album nominees so I threw a couple of curve balls in then.
Some of the albums I nominated won't stand a chance with this group of people so I sort regret nominating some of them now. Oh well, it is what it is.

And we start with one hell of a problematic decision. Conspiracy is simply put one of my favorite King Diamond's albums as I stated before. Plus, besides its highlights, it's really solid and devoid of any kind of filler. Plus it is a iconic record. Dance Of Death has some fillers (namely Age Of Innocence and New Frontier). And although it's my second favorite post reunion album (only beaten by the amazing AMOLAD) it only ranks at #10 in my all time Maiden ranking. Plus it is far from being an iconic record for the band to a point one may even pose the question "what is this album doing here?". But then again, even with all those factors in mind, I would lie if I said I prefer Conspiracy to DOD. Fact is songs like Montsegur and Face In The Sand or even Rainmaker, No More Lies, Dance Of Death and Paschendle are so well crafted that the way bigger Maiden fan than the inner King Diamond fan in me finds the overall experience more enjoyable. If the question was "what's the album you think is more important" or "what's the album you think is better" I probably had to go with Conspiracy. But fact is the pole asks explicitly "which album do you like the best". And in that case I would lie if I wouldn't pick Iron Maiden here.

Then we have a simple one: Coroner is a great technical thrash band and this album (although not being my favorite) is really good. On the other hand Luca Turilli is Luca Turilli. So obviously I'll go with Coroner.

Another easy one: I've always disliked profoundly Dimmu Borgir and still do. Already said my saying on Darkness Descends and how fun, relentless, energetic and even a bit naive it is. Dark Angel 100%.

Finally we have once again a solid Black Hand Inn while not being on the same echelon than Running Wild's best records going against Damage Done. To put this album in perspective I must say that, after a couple of kinda weak records, every DT fan was somehow anxious to what the new album would bring. And as I pressed play and Final Resistance kicked in I was simply blown away. Even to a fan that knew the band since their demos this was a blast (BTW excellent pick, Loosecannon). Melodic, heavy and fast paced this monster explodes into a more-than-amazing chorus... so amazing that the very first time I played the album I rerun this damned thing several times before even advancing any further. When I finally forced myself to let go of Final Resistance the over the top enthusiasm I felt listening to it completely died. Hours Passed In Exile follows the same vibe of their previous two albums: feeble and featuring corny keyboard arrangements here and there. Monochromatic Stains bares the same traits and prolongs my distaste. Single Part Of Two is a bit better showing a simple but enjoyable riff and a catchy bridge and solo section and The Treason Wall cheers things even a bit more going back to a more traditional Swedish Melodic DM formula. Enters the title track and it brings a smile to my face again: somewhat following the threads of its predecessor and catchy as hell this song seems to point out that the initial spree of limping tracks were but a fluke on an album which true quality is really showing up by now. And fact is every single remainder track on Damage Done is, at least, great. Cathode Ray Sunshine is yet another modernization of their earlier sound and so is The Enemy with its mid paced swing and truly epic nuances. The album closes in a great contrasting note between the aggressive White Noise and the smooth soundscapes of Ex Nihilo. So, besides the fact that the 3 worst songs by far are set together almost at the beginning of the album, the remainder of Damage Done shows us a really great record that brought identity back to Dark Tranquillity and surely gets my vote on this game.

Last edited:
I don’t particularly like King Diamond’s voice, but the music is competent, engaging classic metal. Conspiracy is pretty good stuff. Dance of Death has Paschendale and I’ll stop there.

Not going to look back, but this Luca song seems to be a little easier to take from what we heard from them before, no? Maybe less bombast? I didnt mind it, but it still sounds like Andrew Lloyd Weber adapted for a video game.

Coroner surprised me with NWOBHM rhythms and riffing, and some lo-fI production that seemed to fit. Still trying to figure out why they threw a thick wool blanket over the singer’s mike. And I have no idea why the song faded out when it did.Did they run out of tape?

If my cousin produced music like either of these, I would be kinda proud of him. It’s the type of music I might like, but it’s not of a quality I’d ever pay for. Two adequate bands. I’ll take Coroner because they seem to need a handout more.

I was expecting Dimmu Borgir to be harsher than that. Sounded more like Nightwish territory than the more extreme forms of the genre. it was OK.

Dark Angel with Maiden-esque intro and NWOBHM riffing caught my attention before losing it with the melody-free verses and terrible singing.

They get my vote because I prefer the rawer sound, but neither album was anything I’d go back to.

File Dark Tranquility In with a growing number of acts that I’d probably enjoy a heckuvalot more without the harsh vocals. This was a good song, and despite the harshness the vocals had actual melodies.

They’d get my vote over a lot of others, but not Running Wild. That’s just classic Metal riffing and melodies infused with a ton of fun. It’s right up there with most enjoyable stuff the game has exposed me to. Definitely something I’d want to listen to again.

Running Wild. That’s just classic Metal riffing and melodies infused with a ton of fun. It’s right up there with most enjoyable stuff the game has exposed me to. Definitely something I’d want to listen to again.
You've got another thing coming!

Iron Maiden - Might as well get this out of the way now, I'll be voting for Maiden unless it's a ridiculous match up of Virtual XI versus Master of Puppets or something, and it's not even a case of performative attention seeking, Maiden are my favourite band and they are just better than the shit you listen to, I sincerely like them more than anything else. I nominated 10 albums and am kind of annoyed that I limited it to 10 nominations, because I absolutely would also have included Dance of Death (and The Final Frontier) ahead of most of my other nominations from other bands, and certainly ahead of nominations fromI]you.
Hm. This attitude seems a weird one if you want to play this game. The point is to discover music presented by others. Showing disdain for other music comes across as stubborn silliness. Or silly stubborness, whichever you prefer. You cannot know the unknown in advance. Let us try not to be so sure or irritated in advance by the "shit" other people are presenting. Why wish to scream from the rooftops that your focus is limited to Maiden and irritated by anything else OTHER people present? Yuck! Other people! That must suck aye? Why not have a listen and see what happens. This game is very interesting. Challenging because people may get out of their comfort zone.

Last edited:
Hot take: Conspiracy is better than Dance Of Death. It doesn’t have an Age Of Innocence on it.
Yes I concur... as I stated before IMO Conspiracy is a bit better overall and more solid. But the high points in DOD are so mind blowing... And as I stated before the question isn't "which album you think is better" but "which album do you like best" and I would be lying if I said that I like Conspiracy more than DOD.

Dimmu Borgir of 2018 really is like a black metal Nightwish. Shagrath has fancier costumes than Floor. That song that LC posted could totally pass as Nightwish if you eliminated the growls and maybe softened the guitar sound.

Dance Of Death is bottom-third Iron Maiden and the weakest Maiden studio album with Adrian Smith on it, IMO. It has some highlights, but it’s got a lot of questionable and poorly executed material on it too. The King Diamond album is much more consistent, and the overall quality is noticeably better. Sorry, @Black Wizard . Winner: King Diamond

Not surprisingly, I’m going to go with my own nominee in the second match for reasons I’ve already described. Winner: Luca Turilli

I really like the music on the Dimmu Borgir album, as well as the choral vocals. The lead vocals land somewhere between Gollum and Emperor Palpatine, which isn’t great, but I’ve heard worse. Amusingly, the vocals on the Dark Angel album aren’t that much better, and the music just isn’t as good. Gonna go with @Travis The Dragon ‘s choice here. Winner: Dimmu Borgir

There are a number of things that I like about Dark Tranquillity’s sound — the mixture of harder edged metal with softer synth parts is great when it works, and there’s both epicness and finesse displayed throughout. And while I don’t like the vocals, I’ve certainly heard more annoying ones than Dark Tranquillity’s. That said, the Running Wild album is a lot closer to the sort of thing I would actually look forward to listening to. It’s not always great, but it’s always entertaining, and it has a number of great moments. Not a blowout, but I’m going to go with Rock ‘n’ Rolf here. Winner: Running Wild

Dimmu Borgir of 2018 really is like a black metal Nightwish. Shagrath has fancier costumes than Floor. That song that LC posted could totally pass as Nightwish if you eliminated the growls and maybe softened the guitar sound.
Explains why I like it, huh?

This is the second time I have King Diamond'd in this game and I have to admit that I like it more the second time. I still find the screechy vocal parts laughable and irritating and the constant chat about mothers and sisters and death and houses and shit is annoying but there is some crackin music on this album. In terms of DOD, well, it is one of my least favourite Maiden albums. So much filler. It takes til the title track before I am fully engaged. Thats 20mins of a Maiden album where I am not engaged. Unprecedented in their catalogue. Bad drum sound, boring songs and the one shining light of the first 20mins (Montsegur) has an incongruous court jester (copyright Brigantium) melody that ruins it. This album has high points that are way better than anything Mr Diamond ever did (top level Maiden, IMO) but as a whole listening experience, I can get through Conspiracy easier than DOD. Maybe I expect more of Maiden. King Diamond.

Truilli is total nonsense. For every perfect passage theres a lot of shite around it. The level of brilliance Jer talks of doesn't strike a chord with me. Coroner isnt really my syle but theres some crackin riffin goin on. Neither will be sought out again.

Borgir vs Angel - Theres decent stuff goin on in both of these albums, good, fast guitar in DA and epic style changes in DB but neither get a full spin from me. I'll go Dimmu Borgir because its less frantic.

Cant help but think that DT need a different singer. Some of this is pretty good but I love Running Wild so its an easy win. DT deserve further investigation.

Back