GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

I'm glad that my first nomination to enter the tournament has comfortably progressed. Probably a safe bet since it's an Iron Maiden album, but I was a bit concerned since its opponent was King Diamond. Mind you, that album didn't exactly obliterate Hammerfall in the previous round so there wasn't really much to be worried about.

At least Marching Out might have a chance against Tales From The Twilight World...
Yup... I would say so. While being far from an Yngwie fan that album has some great cuts and I still haven't decided which album will get my vote (if it was Follow The Blind I would go for Blind Guardian surely though). But Tales also has some good tracks. IDK...

I like the lyrics to At the Graves. Sure it has someone rising from the dead, but there is no scientist present, whether mad or not--he comes later in the form of Dr Landau.
Like... "Screw all that biotechnology stuff! We have necromancy, boy!" :okok: :okok: :okok:

In a more serious note... amazing song (my KD favorite) and really well penned ghost story lyrics.

Iron Maiden trumps King Diamond without too much difficulty. King Diamond returns in League 12.
Coroner continues their minnow run by defeating Luca Turilli in the set's closest match. That's it for Turilli, so we'll see Coroner vs. Killswitch Engage next.
Dimmu Borgir gets crushed by Dark Angel. We'll see Dimmu Borgir back in League 11.
Running Wild continues to cruise the seven seas after defeating a challenge from Dark Tranquility. That's it for Dark Tranquility - from here, the term "DT" will refer to Dream Theater. Devin Townsend challenges the pirates next.

it still sounds like Andrew Lloyd Weber adapted for a video game.
Truilli is total nonsense. For every perfect passage theres a lot of shite around it.
Luca Turilli is Luca Turilli. So obviously I'll go with Coroner.
Voted for Coroner as it's not Luca Turilli's pompous crap
LOL, I enjoyed reading all of the comments, even the negative ones. I totally understand where the people who dislike it are coming from, as it took me a while to warm up to the album myself.

Thanks for giving it a shot — while I’m disappointed that it got knocked out, I’m pleased that it did as well as it did against a strong opponent. If you liked the album at all, give it a few more spins and you may be surprised by how much it sucks you in.

Nightmare_logic_cover.jpg

Power Trip - Nightmare Logic (2017)

How it got here

List entries: n/a
Maidenfans Nominators: @Whooten
League 13 - Match 1vs.
BraveMurderDay.jpg

Katatonia - Brave Murder Day (1996)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @The Flash
Previous Rounds:
League 14: Defeated AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap 12-10.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bulletfever.jpg

Bullet For My Valentine - Fever (2010)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @KidInTheDark666
League 13 - Match 2vs.
DeathSOP-1998.jpg

Death - The Sound of Perseverance (1998)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Kingdom 94
Previous Rounds:
League 18: Defeated Deafheaven - Sunbather 28-2.
League 17: Defeated Soundgarden - Louder Than Love 15-12.
League 16: Defeated Marilyn Manson - Portrait of an American Family 21-4.
League 15: Defeated Insomnium - Winter’s Gate 16-8.
League 14: Defeated HIM - Venus Doom 19-3.

Grand_Magus_-_Triumph_and_Power.jpg

Grand Magus - Triumph and Power (2014)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Perun
League 13 - Match 3vs.
Combat_KIMB.jpg

Megadeth - Killing Is My Business... and Business Is Good! (1985)
How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 85
Previous Rounds:
League 17: Defeated Evanescence - Fallen 22-6.
League 16: Defeated Helmet - Meantime 22-2.
League 15: Defeated Jason Becker - Perpetual Burn 20-5.
League 14: Defeated Fear Factory - Demanufacture 19-3.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Where_Greater_Men_Have_Fallen.jpg

Primordial - Where Greater Men Have Fallen (2014)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Perun
League 13 - Match 4vs.
Seven_Churches_%28Possessed_album%29.png

Possessed - Seven Churches (1985)

How it got here

List entries: DigitalDreamDoor 42
Previous Rounds:
League 15: Defeated Van Halen - Van Halen II 14-10.
League 14: Defeated Samael - Above 12-10.

Last edited:
LOL, I enjoyed reading all of the comments, even the negative ones. I totally understand where the people who dislike it are coming from, as it took me a while to warm up to the album myself.

Thanks for giving it a shot — while I’m disappointed that it got knocked out, I’m pleased that it did as well as it did against a strong opponent. If you liked the album at all, give it a few more spins and you may be surprised by how much it sucks you in.
I had a good listen to the album! Thanks for sharing it!

Just a quick question - why is the Primordial video Gods to the Godless, which is from an altogether different album (2000's Spirit the Eath Aflame?)

Never heard of Powertrip before but I prefer this song much more than the Katatonia one.

I wouldn´t touch a BFMV album with a coronaproof long stick, so it´s obviously Death.

Megadave has better albums, Grand Magus was a pleasant surprise. Certainly a band I will check out very soon.

Possessed isn´t really my thing, Primordial is a band I´ve never checked out before but I love their sound.

Power Trip - Manowar groove straight outta Return of the Warlord but it's got the head nodding, vocals not particularly great but I hear words which I wasn't expecting from a 2017 album, kind of an Exodus style with the gang vocals, old school production gets a thumbs up, really derivative but good

Katatonia - Intro has a kind of "Rude Awakening" by Prong vibe, change is terrible, arse falls out of the song, vocals laughable, you get two or three measures of a good goth riff here and there and then it inexplicably changes really quickly to piss poor parts for no reason. Outro reprises the good intro, something Maiden get crucified for?

Power Trip with the win

Bullet for my Valentine - generic rhythm intro, hammer on riff over it is ok with a decent chord progression, half time verse is awful but vocals not as bad as they usually are in this kind of thing, he says "I'm in your heart" according to the lyrics on google but for some reason he clearly pronounces the word "I'm" starting with a consonant.

Death - opinion given loads of times, aces high chord progression in the intro, this is really bad just loads of technical riffs slapped together with no nuance or vibe

Bullet for my Valentine with the win, don't really like either but I'll throw kid in the dark a charity vote and also am really sick of this shit Death album

Grand Magus - A band I like a lot but only have a couple of records by. This is an album I don't have. Just classic heavy metal sent over the top by the best metal singer since the 80's. I don't know if this is just a bad mix on youtube but it's a bit tamer than the albums I'm familiar with. Key change at the end makes my skin crawl though :lol: Also, "hail victory" is a bit dodgy, no?

Megadeth - opinion given a few times

Going with Grand Magus as this isn't a particularly great Megadeth record

Primordial - Fellow countrymen and Dubliners no less, my band were recording a shit demo in the same studio as these round about what ever album they were working on circa 1999/2000. I've tried loads of times to get into these but something just doesn't click with me, "The Coffin Ships" is brilliant as is their version of "The Foggy Dew", but everytime I check something out and I'm getting into it, a shit black metal beat kicks in or a dodgy lyric that he obviously thinks is really clever just draws me out of it. Another band that seems to get away with songs that are overly long in a way Iron Maiden get crucified for. @LooseCannon wiki says this track is not on the album listed

Possessed - opinion given before

Primordial with the win, despite the somewhat harsh review above, and not even out of loyalty to fellow dubs, it's just miles, miles better than Possessed

Last edited:
Back