GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

I'v seen Ghost open for Maiden in Oslo, and I thought it was alright. I've also heard a couple of Ghost songs on the radio over the years. But this song left me a bit lukewarm. I don't think I could grasp what the band is about. Therefore, easy win for Dance of Death.

Angel City had a punkish vibe I didn't like. Didn't like Coroner too much either, but no punky flavour, so voted for that. (BTW, just this morning there was an article about Marko Annala from Mokoma on the paper, and he was wearing a Coroner T-shirt in the picture, and mentioned the band in the interview too.)

Godsmack sounded a bit commercial, then again I really don't like Primordial. (The previous time they were on the Cup, after listening and watching their video in full, I made a decision I will turn off a song if it makes me too distressed. When I saw Primordial is back, I was getting ready to cut the song short, but this time it wasn't distressing at all. A bit monotonous, but not distressing.)

I should listen to more Rush, and I already have instructions which albums to start with. It's just that because their music is quite complex, it takes more effort to get familiar with it, and I've never really started. This song perhaps wasn't one of their most complicated ones, and the subject of the song wasn't very interesting to me, part of the lyrics maybe a bit silly, but musically it was pretty good. And it was Rush. :) Running Wild worked, but beating Rush is a difficult thing to do.

One more thing, in case someone is interested: I am aware that voting for albums and only listening one song can be a bit problematic. Some (very few) albums I know, some are in the Cup for a long time, so I get to hear many of the songs, but usually I only hear a song or two during the Cup. That obviously means the votes aren't comparable to one another. However, I prefer to listen to one song properly rather than listening to a lot of beginnings and skipping, that really isn't my style. A massive percentage of these albums are unknown to me, and I'd like to learn about the bands and their music, so listening to one song is pretty much all I can concentrate on. (This was an explanation and not a defence, noticed it may sound like it, but isn't.)

Ghost - the best new band of the last 25 years, the two lead singles off it are fantastic as is Miasma, with the rest of the tracks pretty solid. One complaint is 2 instrumentals and an intro out of 10 tracks is taking the piss

Maiden - opinion given before

Maiden with the win, possibly might have went with Ghost if it had been Opus Eponymous, definitely would have if it was VXI from Maiden.

Angel City - never heard of these, Intro gets the head nodding, verse good, chorus very 70's punky doubled vocals, wiki tells me they're Aussies so obviously there's a bit of similarity to AC/DC and Rose Tattoo in the sound but there's more than enough originality in that track to pique my interest

Cornoner- opinion given before

Angel City with the win

Godsmack - Only know of these as they have Ugly Kid Joe's drummer, track sounds like a mix of nu-metal with grunge with a James Hetfield rip off vocal delivery, track not awful but not anything I'd go out of my way to listen to.

Primordial - opinion given before, the pretentiousness of the vocal is one of the things that crops up time and time again anytime I checked these out, a real dealbreaker, track only 6 mins long but seems way longer, I looked at the running time expecting it to be almost over and it was only around the 5 min mark, poor dynamics

Primordial
with the win

Rush - Not metal so people should be voting these off on principal but maybe they aren't popular enough with the mainstream crowd which is what people actually mean when they say Led Zeppelin aren't metal :lol: I like Rush but only have a few albums, I don't have this one but obviously know Spirit of Radio

Running Wild - opinion given before

Rush
with the win

I wouldn’t feel too bad — they’re one of the few hard rock bands that Metal Archives includes in their database due to importance in metal.
Yep. Folks should remember that the original nomination rule for this game was that if the band was in the Encyclopedia Metallum, they were eligible. Bands like Rush, Dokken, and Scorpions were listed there.

Loose Cannon then expanded the rule to “I know it when I see it” because bands like AC/DC, Ratt, and Van Halen weren’t listed there, which seemed a bit arbitrary when other hard rock acts were.

I also didn't follow that rule, because I stopped caring about nanny stating your decisions and decided to trust the Invisible Hand to decide, as Our Lord and Father Ron Paul commands.

• Haha
Reactions: Jer
I think of this as a playful game, not a Cup where albums are put in 100% right order sternly by their quality. And it's so difficult to say what is 100% metal and what 100% is not.

Just in case there's any doubt, if I make a comment about the metalness or not of certain bands, it's meant to be taken as a comic observation, hence the smiley, not an attack on either the rules of the game, LooseCannon's judgement, or people who don't think that some bands are metal.

Rush has one thing Floyd doesn’t: hard riffs. They also have reggae backbeats, so it’s hard to say how metal they are. Still, a pile of dead mosquitoes couldn’t stop me from voting for rush.

Back