GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

"One of only a few metal bands that didn't sell their souls and become the numetal shit. Took a lot stick but he survive that garbage and is still making metal."

I tried to google that quote but got nothing, I don't understand really what it's about.

Believe me, I wouldn't have believed I will. But I just don't like shouting and sounds that make me feel the vocalist is soon going to be sick.

There is instrumental version of TGST. I am not saying you should change your vote, just a recommendation for listening if you're put off by Phil's "input" into the album.

I was just about to post the same thing. I seriously can't see anything special about W.A.S.P. Beating a great album like Trendkill is ... puzzling, to say the least.

That's the thing. Trendkill is not the best Pantera not by a longshot but it is still far far above anything by WASP.

Yes I'm a bit infuriated. Imagine going to, let's say Led Zeppelin forum, and they have this game, and someone nominates Somewhere in Time and it gets its ass handed to it by some 4 Non Blondes album.

I would never ever vote some generic heavy/hair metal shit over Dime. The album with one of the greatest metal solos and greatest metal guitar instrumental section played by one of the greatest electric guitarists of our age is getting rekt. By WASP.

I would never ever vote some generic heavy/hair metal shit over Dime. The album with one of the greatest metal solos and greatest metal guitar instrumental section played by one of the greatest electric guitarists of our age is getting rekt. By WASP.

Lol, "Diamond" Darryl was no stranger to hair metal himself.

I've always voted based on which song (or album, if I know enough songs) I like better. I also decided I will use this criteria whether I think the song is metal or not. The genre limits can be so flexible sometimes, and I felt I cannot change my voting criteria in the middle of a Cup. I don't think I could vote based on quality, because I don't have enough expertise. I've noticed the votes sometimes raise annoyance or even grief, and I'm really sorry if I make someone feel that way, but I also think I need to be true to my style. Changing it in the middle of the game would make my votes uncomparable with one another. Sometimes I've wanted to vote for something just to make someone happy, but voting for pity is probably not a good idea either.

I beg to differ, they were into glam rock as kids, but they didn't play hair metal not even when it was at peak of popularity.
Dime on the other hand did write lyrics to PST 88 which is as hair as it gets.

I've always voted based on which song (or album, if I know enough songs) I like better. I also decided I will use this criteria whether I think the song is metal or not. The genre limits can be so flexible sometimes, and I felt I cannot change my voting criteria in the middle of a Cup. I don't think I could vote based on quality, because I don't have enough expertise. I've noticed the votes sometimes raise annoyance or even grief, and I'm really sorry if I make someone feel that way, but I also think I need to be true to my style. Changing it in the middle of the game would make my votes uncomparable with one another. Sometimes I've wanted to vote for something just to make someone happy, but voting for pity is probably not a good idea either.
Don't worry, we all know what we signed up for :lol:
Your favourite album is in here and it will probably lose somewhere along the way. Be prepared to cry.

I don't see what the Lol is about. Everyone knows about his influences, and Dime never tried to hide that either.
Which has nothing to do with the fact that he was a brilliant guitarist and his riffs are far superior to anything by WASP.

I believe the first match represents the first time in this game we've matched up two albums I know well.
Bloated albums from legendary bands with lots of excellent material, but also moments where they bog down.
Priest is a better band and Nostradamus has more good songs, and more overall depth.

And the second match has another pair of McKindog staples.

I love moments on Rainbow and like it very much overall. But Bad Reputation is a far superior album.
It has some of Lizzy's best heavy progressive stuff like opium trail and the title track, along with Phil the romantic at his best. Superb and varied songwriting. And Gorham's soloing is gorgeous: That one on That Woman's Gonna Break your heart is pure ear candy.

My only complaint about this album is the production is too dry and not muscular enough, it's a disservice to the heavier tracks, particularly Soldier of Fortune.

There are moments in the Borknagar song that I quite like and others not so much. System of a Down also tend to float in and out of my wheelhouse, but are generally a more interesting band, so they get my vote.

Pantera has a powerful groove but not much else. Headless Children is one of the revelations of this game for me. Easy win.

Two double albums by classic bands in the first pairing, but man Nostradamus is so bad. Physical Graffiti isn't without flaws, but the good far outweighs the bad. It's not even a question. The first disc alone is perfection.

Other rounds are far less exciting, nice to see Borknagar trouncing SOAD. Thin Lizzy is putting up a decent fight. Not one of their best albums, but still a strong effort and pretty well matched with an also fairly average Rainbow album.

To lump Headless Children in with WASP's earlier glam output seems reductive, and suggests lack of familiarity with that particular album. I'm pretty meh on both bands, but I find WASP slightly more interesting.

First: The Headless Children is where WASP leaves all hair metal antics behind (visual and sound wise). And even saying pre The Headless Children WASP is Hair Metal is ridiculous at best. WASP always mixed some Motley Crue like stuff here and there with majorly some really rough Heavy Metal and their blueprint regarding Hair Metal was majorly noticeable in their visuals (mixed with the gore stuff).

Second: As someone said both bands have a strong relation with hair metal back in their far past, especially Pantera (which were a pound by pound hair metal band till Phil came along). And that's nothing wrong about it. What people forgot to say is that once both bands left that genre, they left it for good (respectively in Cowboys From Hell - Power Metal still borderlines it sometimes - and The Headless Children).

Third: What "the best" album by a certain band means is somewhat subjective. Of course things tend to have an universal sense of agreement when it comes to these things so when it comes to Pantera or WASP I'm not seeing anyone successfully defending their cause if they claim both band's best releases were (respectively) Metal Magic and Dying For The World (it's like someone trying to defend No Prayer was Maiden's best album). Of course that's not the norm: majorly people like Vulgar Display Of Power or Far Beyond Driven more in the case of Pantera and when it comes to WASP it's the self titled or The Crimson Idol. Nevertheless I know lots of folks like me that think TGSTK and THC are both band's best albums, and it's far from being a small minority.

Fourth: This is one I was unsure to refer to for a while but here it goes: this game is called "Greatest metal ALBUM". And I know sometimes it can be a bit time consuming and I understand people have busy schedules but a quick over seeing on every track does not take that much amount of time. I prefer to listen to 1 minute of each song to know what the record is all about than solely to one. Of course the ideal is to listen to everything or at least some longer snippets. Hey, there's stuff one may consider so crappy that it takes only a few seconds from each track to skip to the next one. So I'm not trying to judge anyone but IMO I think it's not suitable to the game's purpose.

Last edited:
I.....I mean, Kashmir alone is better than everything on Nostradamus, which is a better album than I remember but not by much. Led Zeppelin.
The thing about the first Rainbow album is that it's not really hard rock. Dio's incredible, the guitar work is nice, but it's not what the band becomes. Meanwhile, that's a really really good Thin Lizzy album.
Borknagar over SOAD any day of the week and twice on Sundays.
If I liked Pantera, I am sure I would like The Great Southern Trendkill, but I do not. So W.A.S.P. it is.

@srfc I think I've come to the conclusion that your tastes overlap with mine more than any other voters on here. Loving the Lizzy love. And especially loving the fact we have converted @Saapanael. Lizzy guitar harmonies are among the best things in music.

The Rainbow/Reputation showdown to me shows a flaw in this game, in that it can favour top heavy albums over albums that work from top to bottom. Silver Mountain might be better than anything on Bad Reputation, but the bottom four or five songs on Reputation are all far better than the bottom four or five on Rainbow. I certainly may have fallen into the trap with Borknagar/SOAD matchup.

I'm on board with the criticisms of Nostradamus, but not the hate. Alone is magnificent, among the best things they've done. Edit that thing down to its best 8-10 tracks and don't think too much about the story and it would be fine collection.

Calling Headless Children hair metal tells me people are coming into this with their eyes, not their ears. That's a classic metal album through and through, and a good one. Pantera should inspire division; it's who they are.

Pantera should inspire division; it's who they are.
CSA_states_evolution.gif

Back