GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Anyway, agree to disagree. I'm certainly not a fan of the way he conducted himself onstage, but the string of albums from Antichrist Superstar to The Golden Age Of Grotesque are pretty powerful IMO. After that he fell off a cliff.

And I believe you find good stuff there. Honestly, I feel that our personal predisposition, attitude and subjective preference is to blame, so it's one of the rare cases when I actually agree with the "agree to disagree" phrase :D.

Although he's from an altogether different genre, I lump him together with nu-metal (apart from certain exception like SOAD and Deftones, if they count)- both make me feel like I'm 95 and I want these kids to get off my lawn while I'm searching for my slippers and comfortable cotton pajamas. Despite them being often older than me. Sorry.

And I believe you find good stuff there. Honestly, I feel that our personal predisposition, attitude and subjective preference is to blame, so it's one of the rare cases when I actually agree with the "agree to disagree" phrase :D.

Although he's from an altogether different genre, I lump him together with nu-metal (apart from certain exception like SOAD and Deftones, if they count)- both make me feel like I'm 95 and I want these kids to get off my lawn while I'm searching for my slippers and comfortable cotton pajamas. Despite them being often older than me. Sorry.
Yeah. Like I’ve said, Manson is the “exception that proves the rule” for me. Screaming really isn’t my thing unless it’s backed up by substance, and to me, Manson had that substance. A lot of people who followed that style seemed to just be mad; Manson built something out of it. And he was pretty inventive, given the next album was a drastic change in style for him. But I respect the difference in taste for sure.

I think we agree more or less on nu metal. For me there are some exceptions, more often songs than artists, that are great, but overall the genre leaves me cold. So there’s that. :D

I think we agree more or less on nu metal. For me there are some exceptions, more often songs than artists, that are great, but overall the genre leaves me cold. So there’s that. :D

Yeah, when you say "exceptions to nu-metal condemnation", I immediately think of three things - System of a Down (who never fit the genre anyway, IMHO, because if you wanted to call them Middle-Eastern Avantgarde-Pop Metal it'd be just as fitting, if not more so), Deftones (who broke the paradigm also very early on) and Sepultura's Roots (which is really unfairly hated, I'd say; isn't Ratamahatta Max unleashing his inner Mike Patton of sorts?). And possibly Maximum the Hormone, but they're really too unknown for anyone to care.

There's also a lot of the really forgotten stuff like Static X, Disturbed, Drowning Pool, Ill Niño (remember those? Not even my soft spot for all things Latin could help them). Forgotten for a reason. There was actually a time when that was considered the future of rock music - I actually remember that. Seems hilarious in hindsight.

And Limp Bizkit. Some people I knew actually cried to their version of Behind the Blue Eyes - not only absolutely undeserved song compared to the rest of their discography (seriously - Rollin', Nookie and then you put out a vintage Who track? Seriously?), but also they made it more "feeley" and dropped the best thing about the original - the contrasting bridge, which made it fit Who's Next originally like a charm (giving it this kinda "proggy" approach). They just "shallowed-it-up" for the then-teens, I can't help but think.

But I can't even enjoy some of the stuff I genuinely enjoyed then - about a year ago I put a spin to Meteora which I loved about the time it came out... and I couldn't finish it. I know that Linkin Park have undergone this "reassessment" lately where everyone respects them (and especially since Chester kicked the bucket), but I don't see it. Too much noise, too little substance, the hooks don't captivate as they used to, it's all just really bland and annoying. And Shinoda's "rapping" is an offense to anyone who likes any actual hip-hop.

Anyway, this was another digression. Wanted to steer it back on topic, but this round is really weak. Come on, Loosey, update it already. This one doesn't deserve to stink it up 'til tomorrow. :D

An exceptionally weak round :(

The Beautiful People is a very good song, whichever list had Portrait of an American Family over this is a joke! I wouldn't mind voting for it but Nightmare Logic is growing on me this game...

I don't like anything about Troublegum. Sorry.

Third match is basically tied, Dimmu Burger was good but I can't recall anything from it. Megadeth is fine too. But only one of the albums won three rounds it shouldn't have...

Last and least we have two albums that go in one ear and go out the other and I can't say more. I can't even choose based on cover art because I hate both so much. This decision is so impossible. Even my friend just went offline right after I asked him to decide between aliens and a bucket. Looking at the mirror, I see myself without a mustache and it looks weird. And I feel like I'm looking at an alien, rather than the bucket I normally identify as. I think that's a fair tie breaker :D

Got my votes in just under the wire.

Surprised myself and voted for Manson in the first match. I'm not a Manson fan in general, but this album does have a lot of really great songs on it.

I enjoyed both albums in the second match, but Atlantean Kodex was a little more to my style, at least at the moment.

Voter fatigue may indeed be starting to set in for this Megadeth album, but it's still better than its opponent.

Hypocrisy was surprisingly ok, but in the end, I still prefer Buckethead.

Power Trip runs over Marilyn Manson pretty easily. As expected, Manson is booted from the GMAC. The next challenger is Coheed and Cambria.
Therapy? might need therapy after being bounced by Atlantean Kodex. We'll see how Kodex does against Dream Theater next.
Megadave continues one of the longest existing runs. This is one of only two League 17 albums in League 11, and they're going to 10! Dimmu Borgir is done, so Megadave'll challenge Dark Millenium next.
Hypocrisy is done in by Buckethead. They're done, and next up for the man in the KFC bucket is Municipal Waste.

220px-Black-Sabbath-Headless-Cross.jpg

Black Sabbath - Headless Cross (1989)

How it got here

List entries: n/a
Maidenfans Nominators: @Forostar
League 11 - Match 5vs.
R-2177444-1268173615.jpeg.jpg

Skyclad - The Answer Machine? (1997)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Jer
Previous Rounds:
League 12: Defeated Danzig - Danzig 18-7.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
220px-Haken_The_Mountain_cover.jpg

Haken - The Mountain (2013)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Mosh
League 11 - Match 6vs.
Opeth_Orchid.jpg

Opeth - Orchid (1995)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Forostar
Previous Rounds:
League 13: Defeated Children of Bodom - Hate Crew Deathroll 14-7.
League 12: Defeated AC/DC - Flick of the Switch 18-6.

220px-Iced_Earth_Incorruptible_Artwork.jpg

Iced Earth - Incorruptible (2017)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @LooseCannon
League 11 - Match 7vs.
In_Utero_%28Nirvana%29_album_cover.jpg

Nirvana - In Utero (1993)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Ariana
Previous Rounds:
League 14: Defeated Spiritual Beggars - Ad Astra 13-9.
League 13: Defeated Cult of Luna / Julie Christmas - Mariner 13-8.
League 12: Defeated Rammstein - Liebe Ist Fur Alle Da 11(ET)-11.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
220px-Haken_-_Affinity_%282016%29.png

Haken - Affinity (2016)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Lampwick 43
League 11 - Match 8vs.
SymphonyXTheDivineWingsOfTragedy.jpg

Symphony X - The Divine Winds of Tragedy (1997)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Lampwick 43
Previous Rounds:
League 12: Defeated Accept - Blind Rage 17-5.

I DID IT!

OK, so one of my albums is up for the first time, Incorruptible, which for my money, is the best Iced Earth album since Horror Show.

It starts off with the best opener since Burning Times with Great Heathen Army then leads into another killer track, Black Flag. It has really good tunes in the middle, a pretty good requisite ballad in Brothers, and then kicks you in the balls with the best Iced Earth epic since 2004 with Clear the Way. There's a lot of going back to the well on this album that doesn't involve the Something Wicked Trilogy and that's really, really damned good.

You can see more thoughts from me here.

Easy votes here.

I'm quite interested and impressed with Skyclad.

Orchid is not my favorite Opeth album, but I still get into it far more than Haken.

I will vote for anything over Nirvana, but Incorruptible is a solid, if still lesser IE album.

Haken is fine. Divine Wings by Symphony freakin' X is a masterpiece.

Reactions: Jer
Back