GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

I don't see what the Lol is about.

Just laughing at W.A.S.P. being dismissed for being hair metal, when the music is straight up heavy metal, while Pantera have a far more "hair metal" past before they discovered a bro-dude image and crushing beer cans with their heads. Fair enough if people don't like W.A.S.P. but Pantera certainly aren't operating from some sort of intellectual high ground.

EDIT: Also, I'm not hostile (pun intended) to Pantera either, I've given FBD a few votes, and will probably give a few more votes when CFH and VDOP inevitably show up. I may even have given this album a vote too if it wasn't against an album I really like.

Last edited:
I.....I mean, Kashmir alone is better than everything on Nostradamus, which is a better album than I remember but not by much. Led Zeppelin.

That's a fair point, I think I went with Priest rather then Zeppelin in this tie purely because I like Priest more rather than the merits of each album, but I might change my vote if this one goes to a tie breaker.

Nostradamus has always struck me as an album that would be better if it was made by a band that made that kind of music generally.

Nostradamus is fucking incredible. Only Painkiller is better when it comes to Priest. Led Zeppelin are the most overrated band ever, and while we're at it, not metal, and people were pissed about Pink Floyd but not about Led Zep. WITCH HUNT!!!!!

While I'm here, I'm gonna plug my abridged version of Nostradamus that clocks in at 80 minutes instead of 102 minutes, and has 12 songs instead of 23.

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab1fKygpQ1E&list=PL35LjZ8wshhP0pv8VjMNiCrGzulmey_ZJ

I find Nostradamus ever so slightly boring (and not a fan of Painkiller either, but that's another row for another day), however I'd sooner listen to it than a full album of LZ, so Priest it is. Zeppelin probably get metal crowd sympathies because of the galloping rhythm in one song.

Thin Lizzy and Rainbow are a pretty good match here because very 70s-sounding recordings can sound so horribly dated up against more modern recordings. Quality writing and musicianship throughout in both cases, but Rainbow are more to my taste.

Borknagar are really accessible and melodic as black(ish) metal goes, good tunes and good, crisp guitar sound. Nothing wrong with Hypnotize, (except that Tankian's vocals can get wearing quickly) it's just less to my liking than The Olden Domain.

Pantera are much like about 80% of music that my partner listens to, the other 20% being punk. I'm okay with them, although not very interested.
Going to WASP, as one of the better things to come out of the hair metal camp, they have some well written songs in there, even if it gets formulaic at times.

Nostradamus is fucking incredible. Only Painkiller is better when it comes to Priest. Led Zeppelin are the most overrated band ever, and while we're at it, not metal, and people were pissed about Pink Floyd but not about Led Zep. WITCH HUNT!!!!!

While I'm here, I'm gonna plug my abridged version of Nostradamus that clocks in at 80 minutes instead of 102 minutes, and has 12 songs instead of 23.

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab1fKygpQ1E&list=PL35LjZ8wshhP0pv8VjMNiCrGzulmey_ZJ
Did you listen to the Rover? That riff is more metal than anything on Noz.

Calling Headless Children hair metal tells me people are coming into this with their eyes, not their ears. That's a classic metal album through and through, and a good one.
Facts!

Pantera should inspire division; it's who they are.
...and then you fall on the same mistake you pointed at in the very previous sentence LOL.

Did you listen to the Rover? That riff is more metal than anything on Noz.
More metal than the title track or Persecution?... Ouch! Independently of being more or less metal it's one hell of a classic track nonetheless.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

...and then you fall on the same mistake you pointed at in the very previous sentence LOL.

You're reading things into my post that aren't there; I have no dog in the "beer-can-head-smash-music" fight.
Musically, the most notable aspect of Pantera is the lack of compromise. Lack of compromise should inspire strong feelings, depending on what side of the argument you stand.

You're reading things into my post that aren't there; I have no dog in the "beer-can-head-smash-music" fight.
Musically, the most notable aspect of Pantera is the lack of compromise. Lack of compromise should inspire strong feelings, depending on what side of the argument you stand.
That was not my take... unlike many here I really didn't think you had that vision about Pantera. What I meant here is that many Pantera lyrics are deeper than it seems. As I stated before if it's true that many songs are either about tough guy attitude or (as you say and well) no compromise that inspire strong feelings, there's a side of their repertoire that is far beyond (no pun intended) that and TGSTK is the album featuring many of those songs. And Pantera had previous songs where their meta was quite different: heartfelt homage to the death of a friend on Cemetery Gates and Hollow, 25 Years deals with domestic abuse, Shedding Skin is about Phil and his struggles to maintain a relationship while in the band and the lifestyle it demanded.
Once again I stress I think the "no compromise/ strong feeling" factor you refer to is indeed present in a considerable number of the band's songs but it's far from its totality... it was more a visual/ charisma thing also. And the same works for WASP's first 3 albums: 9.5 Nasty, LOVE Machine, Wild Child, Ball Crusher, Shoot From The Hip, The Manimal, Sweet Cheetah and many more clearly have its lyrical roots in Hair Metal. And as many generalize all Pantera's lyrics into a certain typology (either people call it "beer-can-head-smash-music" or like you "strong feeling inspiring divisive music) many others wrongly fit WASP entirely in the Hair Metal imaginary when even back in their first 3 albums the band's universe involved a certain darkness those bands didn't explore (gore, sadism, depravity, etc...) and were much more common in Heavy/ Thrash Metal bands. The same works for the band's outfits and visuals from that period.

Last edited:
Judas Priest knocks off Led Zep. They're back in League 5.
Rainbow holds off a strong challenge from Thin Lizzy. The Irish return in League 10.
Borknagar pretty easily beats System of a Down. SOAD's best known album comes back in League 2.
Finally, W.A.S.P. takes down Pantera's offering. The southern metal trendsetters are next in League 6.

Oops, missed the poll by 14 minutes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ my picks would have been:

Nostradamus
Thin Lizzy
Borknagar
and Pantera. So wouldn't change anything though Thin Lizzy vs Rainbow would be even tighter :eek:

SrrO5I9.gif
No need to be aggressive. B-E aggressive. B-E, A-G-G, R-E-S-S-I-V-E...

Ghost_-_Prequelle_%28album%29.jpg

Ghost - Prequelle (2018)

How it got here

List entries: n/a
Maidenfans Nominators: @Yax
League 12 - Match 29vs.
Iron_Maiden-Dance_of_Death.jpg

Iron Maiden - Dance of Death (2003)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Black Wizard
Previous Rounds:
League 14: Defeated King Diamond - Conspiracy 21-9.
League 13: Defeated Samson - Head On 21-6.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Face_To_Face_%28Album_Cover%29.jpg

Angel City - Face to Face (1978)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @mckindog
League 12 - Match 30vs.
Coroner_punishment_LP.jpg

Coroner - Punishment For Decadence (1988)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Kingdom 60
Previous Rounds:
League 16: Defeated Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten 17-5.
League 15: Defeated Lacrimosa - Elodia 13-6.
League 14: Defeated Luca Lurilli - Prophet of the Last Eclipse 15-13.
League 13: Defeated Killswitch Engage - The End of Heartache 17-7.

Godsmack_faceless.jpg

Godsmack - Faceless (2003)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Saapanael
League 12 - Match 31vs.
Primordial-spirit.jpg

Primordial - Spirit the Earth Aflame (2000)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Magnus
Previous Rounds:
League 13: Defeated Dark Angel - Darkness Descends 14-10.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rush_Permanent_Waves.jpg

Rush - Permanent Waves (1980)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @mckindog
League 12 - Match 32vs.
Running_Wild_-_Black_Hand_Inn.jpg

Running Wild - Black Hand Inn (1994)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 31
Previous Rounds:
League 15: Defeated Alcest - Souvenirs d’un autre monde 12-6.
League 14: Defeated Dark Tranquility - Damage Done 18-10.
League 13: Defeated Devin Townsend - Infinity 15-10.

And as always, the next League's matchups have been revealed:

Very appropriate first matchup, Dance of Death shouldn’t stand a chance.

Reactions: Yax
And as always, the next League's matchups have been revealed
Pretty tough draws for both Haken albums.

Also, with two of my albums facing against each other, I'm going to put some serious thought on what songs I want featured, as that could potentially play a not-insignificant role in determining which one will advance.

Pretty tough draws for both Haken albums.

Also, with two of my albums facing against each other, I'm going to put some serious thought on what songs I want featured, as that could potentially play a not-insignificant role in determining which one will advance.
The Mountain is an easy win over Orchid. Affinity doesn’t really stack up against Divine Wings.

I love Maiden, but Ghost gets my vote here for a far more cohesive album.

I don’t love Coroner, but it’s more interesting than the dad rock competitor.

Oddly enough, I’m voting for Godsmack. They played a pretty big role in my transition into being a metal fan and this was the last album I paid attention to.

fuckin’ Rush, man! I know, I’m breaking my anti-Zep/Floyd rule here, but fuckin’ Rush man!

Back