GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

One more thing, in case someone is interested: I am aware that voting for albums and only listening one song can be a bit problematic. Some (very few) albums I know, some are in the Cup for a long time, so I get to hear many of the songs, but usually I only hear a song or two during the Cup. That obviously means the votes aren't comparable to one another. However, I prefer to listen to one song properly rather than listening to a lot of beginnings and skipping, that really isn't my style. A massive percentage of these albums are unknown to me, and I'd like to learn about the bands and their music, so listening to one song is pretty much all I can concentrate on. (This was an explanation and not a defence, noticed it may sound like it, but isn't.)

Don't you wish listening to the Maidenfans Greatest Metal Album Cup could be your job, so you had the time to do it properly? :)
Sitting here on a quiet Sunday morning, this round got all the attention it needed. Others rounds I've rushed and some I've missed entirely.
But I'm still thoroughly enjoying this.

Mckindog feels differently, but I'm kind of relieved some people shared my opinion on Ghost. It's a band I have heard praised so much, and I was afraid it's yet again a band I don't understand.
I mostly think that Ghost is not such a much but with a handful of good songs. But lately they’ve really gotten the hooks and catchiness they’ve always been attempting down. Prequelle is a great record, IMO, and the songs on it all slap. They aren’t much more than a shtick band, but good music is good music lol.

Don't you wish listening to the Maidenfans Greatest Metal Album Cup could be your job, so you had the time to do it properly? :)
Sitting here on a quiet Sunday morning, this round got all the attention it needed. Others rounds I've rushed and some I've missed entirely.
But I'm still thoroughly enjoying this.
I'm really enjoying it too! Life went a bit wrong for me: I was unemployed for years, but got a new full-time job only a few months before the Cup began. :bigsmile: (although I actually started a bit later on the Cup.)

Voting for all newcomers except for Godsmack:

All songs on Prequelle were good, you can hear it's a good album. I'm not going to let Paschendale and familiarity bias carry DoD against EVERY album...

Liked Angel City very very much, and I'm more than fine with Coroner going any time now.

And the third match left me extremely torn. I loved Spirit the Earth Aflame last listening, and saw Faceless is getting stomped anyway (as if I can trust you all to make the correct decision :p), so I came to the round heavily favouring Primordial.

But then I listened to the opening track, Straight out of Line, and to the title track, and I was blown away. That's some quality stuff. Same as with Prequelle, you can hear why they're popular. Another listen to Primordial to make sure I'm confident in my vote... but then I wanted to check out the song LC posted, and realized I probably prefer listening to StEA over nine songs or so in the same vein as Straight out of the Line. So I chose Primordial...
Funny thing that happened listening to I Stand Alone: I thought the ending was very unique, with the guitars playing and getting louder just as the song is ending. But then I realized Food for the Gods was playing in the background through YouTube :lol:

Lastly, Rush was unexpectedly progressive. I know I know they're big on the prog, but I was sure Spirit of Radio was a simpler, RADIO friendly if you will ( :D ) song. Regardless, much better than this OK power metal.

Do these guys have any cred at all among "real" metalheads, and why?
I would have said no, it's a different crowd, but then last time I went to a metal gig - you recognise the same people in the crowd in Manchester, every time - there were some real old school metalheads wearing Ghost shirts. Maybe the same people who like the theatricals of 80s metal.

I would have said no, it's a different crowd, but then last time I went to a metal gig - you recognise the same people in the crowd in Manchester, every time - there were some real old school metalheads wearing Ghost shirts. Maybe the same people who like the theatricals of 80s metal.

More metal than thou fans who take themselves very seriously don't seem to like Ghost, but there's definitely a cohort of metal fans that remember that bands like Maiden, Motorhead, Sabbath etc. were no strangers to the upper echelons of the charts with catchy singles and see Ghost as being a continuation of that.

Iron Maiden busts a Ghost fairly easily, but we'll see Tobias & co. back in League 10.
Coroner performs an autopsy on Angel City. The 70s rockers are done, and Coroner next faces Rush.
Godsmack can't stand up to Primordial. Next up for Primordial is Delain.
Finally, Rush halts the pirate advance of Running Wild. Their skull and bones will fly again in League 4. Twice.

First round I missed in a very long time. First round where all four (of what I would have picked) won in possibly the entire game.

I'd go as far as to say that Ghost are more acceptable among the metal elite than Sabaton.
Ghost is a gret band. Seen them three times - Twice supporting Metallica (well, the first time was them just playing the slot before Metallica on a festival), and the last time they sold out the Globe arena in Stockholm, same indoor hockey venue Maiden played in 2006. It was an impressive show with excellent stage setup, 5 camera solution with one 8x4.5m back projection screen per stage side. Was awesome. It sounded good too, and they didn't cheapen out on the PA system.

... Apart from the shitty stage banter. That was cringe.

Back