GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Nope... This was his "I Like The Broken EP and me and uncle Reznor are gonna get rich with this crap" record. :D :D :D
I can see that angle too. “Happiness In Slavery” and “Gave Up” are pretty credible blueprints for this stuff, as are “Mr. Self Destruct”, “March Of The Pigs”, “I Do Not Want This”, and “Big Man With A Gun”. But in the end it’s just Manson doing shitty vocal posing over me-too industrial noise.

Not as bad as his debut, but nothing worth wasting anyone’s time on. If you want lame knockoff NIN, go listen to Filter or Stabbing Westward instead.

Like, the only interprets I (very distantly) care for this time around are Atlantean Kodex and Megadeth. I voted in all four, so as to make Loosey happy, but this round's really weak.

The fact that Marilyn Manson actually got two votes from people over 20 is a surprising one, though.

The fact that Marilyn Manson actually got two votes from people over 20 is a surprising one, though.

I think maybe people over 35 voting for nostalgia reasons might make more sense, kids of today should be listening to their own shock artists! :lol:

How long are we going to continue this metal vs non-metal thing for?
That's why I only mentioned it briefly. By now I think it's already a lost cause. But nonetheless had to point it out.

Once again i must stress: I don't want to beat a dead horse anymore but: "Forums > General > Forum Games > GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP"???
Nevertheless I think it's not that much of a deal. Compared with Pink Floyd or those Korean dudes Therapy? kinda gets a pass.

Last edited:
I can see that angle too. “Happiness In Slavery” and “Gave Up” are pretty credible blueprints for this stuff, as are “Mr. Self Destruct”, “March Of The Pigs”, “I Do Not Want This”, and “Big Man With A Gun”. But in the end it’s just Manson doing shitty vocal posing over me-too industrial noise.

Yup. Mr. Self Destruct, Heresy, Big Man With A Gun and I Do Not Want This still have indeed lots of Broken's spirit on it (that more industrial metal straight forward feel to it). As for Broken itself I think you forgot the most perfect archetype of AC Superstar rip off: Last. I mean the whole EP is a perfect reference but that song in particular is what MM did back then in a nutshell.
As for posterior NIN copycats I don't think Filter (another former NIN collaborator in Patrick) are much of a copy... feel like they are way more rocky and poppy. Stabbing Westward's case on the other hand is really blatant. But yeah.. there are tons of "counterfeit material" out there. And all fall short, of course... far too short. :D :D :D :D

Last edited:
For the record, the reason I actually care about Manson, even if it seems to sound like a joke to the majority here, has a lot to do with what he’s saying and how he’s saying it. America is almost the exact same as it was back in the late ‘90s and early 2000s, we’re still in danger of being shot just going to school, we’re still being controlled by corrupt politicians, and religion is still a driving force in this country. Hearing Manson screaming about this stuff speaks to me, even if it’s completely different from what I typically like. It also helps that the riffs on this album are killer, and the production is really cool.

I barely have time to vote, hoping I'll be able to update tonight.

Power Trip over Manson. Manson isn't good - agree with Diesel that the man himself stands for good things a lot of the time. But he isn't good. That said, The Beautiful People is a formative part of my youth and I can hardly turn it off.

This isn't fair, but the first thing Troublegum reminded me of was the cover of I Want You to Want Me from 10 Things I Hate About You. Atlantean Kodex.

I'll vote for Dimmu Borgir as I've run out of Megadave songs from this album so I have to loop back.

Ser KFC.

Power Trip, Atlantean Kodex, and Buckethead are all more interesting than their competitors.

Also voting for Dimmu Borgir cause I'm sick of this Megadeth album.

As for Broken itself I think you forgot the most perfect archetype of AC Superstar rip off: Last.
Probably because “Last” has a really memorable riff, while I can barely remember anything from the Manson album...

Well, first things first:

we’re still in danger of being shot just going to school

Yep, that's America's sad legacy

we’re still being controlled by corrupt politicians

Which country isn't?

religion is still a driving force in this country

Not gonna go there.

Anyway, what's my point:

what he’s saying and how he’s saying it.

Hearing Manson screaming about this stuff speaks to me

Doesn't convince me he didn't intentionally create his image, style and approach so as to best relate to angsty teenagers. He's intelligent and self-reflective, which means his way of managing things must be intentional. And it's all just really too cheap, shallow, angsty for me to appreciate.

Also, the topics you name might be important for a citizen's emotional well-being, but that doesn't make stressing them, singing about them and concerning mainly with them any less banal. That's what I hate the most about Zappa, as well - for someone with such alleged intelligence and actual sharp wit, his output is just so... mundane. There's no magic, no poetry about him. Rummaging through manure is a job which anyone can do. Am I really supposed to buy albums from a journalist? Thank you, no.

Like, what else is new? If you want to be depressing, at least do it in such a way I'm gonna be flabbergasted.

And you can only hardly sell Manson to a Bing Crosby fan, that's for sure.

Yep, I don't even remember another Megadeth album being in this game and I've been voting for quite some time already. And the debut is not my favourite, so the argument "okay, I voted for it, but now it should leave already" is an acceptable one, methinks.

Not gonna go there.
My meaning being, "We don't actually respect 'separation of church and state', not 'religion bad blah blah'."

Anyway, agree to disagree. I'm certainly not a fan of the way he conducted himself onstage, but the string of albums from Antichrist Superstar to The Golden Age Of Grotesque are pretty powerful IMO. After that he fell off a cliff.

Back