GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Definitely not. He had us deciding between them playing two more songs or having the entire audience lined up after the show with him working through the que and screwing everybody, one by one.
Tobias/Papa/Copia has a lot of fangirls...

Tobias/Papa/Copia has a lot of fangirls...
Yes, I seem to recall three of those fan girls posing for ridiculous group pictures (note; Not with Ghost, just lame Instagram "look at me" pics) on the way out of the venue. I could hardly contain myself.

Ghost for me has always been all style and no substance. Their sound just has never gelled with me. I don't care if you call them metal or not, I have no strong opinion on that as I don't really care. Square Hammer is alright.

I listened to Prequelle on the walk home the other day and it is a fantastic slab of songs. The music is catchier, but I don’t see how it’s any less heavy than the arena based Metal from the late 70s and early 80s. Plus the satanic lyrical themes definitely need to be taken into account here. Ghost has riffs, the sound, the energy, so what if they also have great catchy songs?

Marilyn_Manson_-_Antichrist_Superstar.png

Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar (1996)

How it got here

List entries: n/a
Maidenfans Nominators: @Diesel 11
League 11 - Match 1vs.
Nightmare_logic_cover.jpg

Power Trip - Nightmare Logic (2017)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Whooten
Previous Rounds:
League 13: Defeated Katatonia - Brave Murder Day 13-8.
League 12: Defeated Amputated - Wading Through Rancid Offal 23-3.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
TherapyTroubleGum.jpg

Therapy? - Troublegum (1994)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Ariana
League 11 - Match 2vs.
Atlantean-Kodex_Course-of-Empire-300x300.jpg

Atlantean Kodex - The Course of Empire (2019)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Perun
Previous Rounds:
League 12: Defeated Death - The Sound of Perseverance 16-10.

Enthrone_darkness_triumphant.jpg

Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant (1997)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Saapanael
League 11 - Match 3vs.
Combat_KIMB.jpg

Megadeth - Killing Is My Business... and Business Is Good! (1985)
How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 85
Previous Rounds:
League 17: Defeated Evanescence - Fallen 22-6.
League 16: Defeated Helmet - Meantime 22-2.
League 15: Defeated Jason Becker - Perpetual Burn 20-5.
League 14: Defeated Fear Factory - Demanufacture 19-3.
League 13: Defeated Grand Magus - Triumph and Power 12-10.
League 12: Defeated Between the Buried and Me - Colors 21-5.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
R-9041830-1473759789-6677.jpeg.jpg

Hypocrisy - Abducted (1996)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Night Prowler
League 11 - Match 4vs.
Buckethead_-_crime_slunk_scene.jpg

Buckethead - Crime Slunk Scene (2006)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Diesel 11
Previous Rounds:
League 12: Defeated Primordial - Where Greater Men Have Fallen 15-10.

Just as a quick state of the game:

So far, we have eliminated 228 album from the GMAC! Wow!

Going into League 11, there survivors from the following leagues:
League 18: 0
League 17: 2
League 16: 1
League 15: 3
League 14: 4
League 13: 8
League 12: 14

The most successful first run leagues are obviously 18 and 17 at the bottom, but after that:
League 16 had 8 new winners.
League 15 had 10 new winners.
League 14 had 14 new winners.
League 13 had 15 new winners.
League 12 had 14 new winners.

That actually looks pretty good to me! The ladder system seems to be working well.

As always, thanks to everyone who is participating! Let's keep it fun and interesting as we move through the next few rounds of single-nominator albums!

These are all no brainers except the third pairing. The Megadeth has overstayed its welcome so I’m open to voting it out, but not familiar with that Dimmu album.

Buckethead versus Hypocrisy is a tough matchup. Both albums are great. Roswell 47 is one of my all time favorite death metal songs.

Nice to see Antichrist Superstar enter the game. I don’t typically like screamy stuff but Manson makes it work. His early albums really dig into a lot of flaws in society and still hold up today.

As always, thanks to everyone who is participating! Let's keep it fun and interesting as we move through the next few rounds of single-nominator albums!
Thank you for all the work you do! :) I don't know if I can promise all my posts to be fun and interesting, but the Cup certainly is!

I prefer the later Bowie-like period Marilyn Manson instead of his industrial sounding stuff.
Power Trip wins by default, catch the bone @Whooten !

In one of the previous round I was impressed by Atlantean Kodex and to be honest: I still like it very VERY much. :)
But...facing one of the 90's best alternative records it really has no chance. Sorry, @Perun
I still remember hearing Nowhere for the first time: at the breakfast table of a Paris hotel watching the clip on MTV. :cool:
I can assure you it's a great way to start your morning. Troublegum is filled with sugarsweet alternative popmetal songs. I love it!:wub:
Therapy? Yes please.

I prefer the majestic melodies of Dimmu Borgir over this Megadeth album.

The vocals of Hypocrysy ruin it for me. No, thank you. :puke:
Buckethead wins hands down. Good one, @Diesel 11

Marilyn Manson - Not a fan of Manson, but I saw him at Download 2003 and he was the only thing other than Maiden that was any use live. The Beautiful People is a great pop single.

Power Trip - opinion given before

Power Trip with the win

Therapy? - Was into these big time when Nurse and this album were out, buying the singles and all. Lost touch after this album more to do with losing touch with most of what was happening in contemporary Metal in the mid 90's than what Therapy? were up to. Saw them play the whole album live a few years ago. Nowhere is another brilliant pop single, as is Screamager, and other great tracks include Stop It You're Killing Me, Trigger Inside and Die Laughing

Atlantean Kodex - I gave the whole album a listen after the last round, I can't remember why I didn't check out more afterwards so I might give it another go now, this track is good

Therapy? with the win

Dimmu Borgir - Not my cup of tea, vocal a bit more accessible than this stuff usually is though, actually probably the whole thing is a bit more accessible

Megadeth - opinion given before

Megadeth with the win

Hypocrisy - Intro ok, verse has a nice melodic riff in it but the vocal is awful

Buckethead - however nice and technically proficient this is, it is not metal

Hypocrisy with the win

Last edited:
Wonder if it makes the posts more or less interesting. (Today has been a drilling day, BTW. During "allowed" hours, which is a surprise, but made hearing a Teams meeting a bit harder.)

Back