GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

The first Nightwish track I ever heard was "Amaranth," which is catchier than anything on TFF. Generally, though, I don't like this kind of wimpy synth-driven Broadway metal, as I've noted before. TFF is not one of Maiden's better albums, but it deserves to win this matchup.

I'm not sure quite what to make of King Diamond, or of Mercyful Fate, for that matter. The supporting musicians and songwriting are quite good. But those vocals are rough, man. Just a major distraction and buzzkill. I'll give it a reluctant vote over Machine Head, which musically isn't nearly as strong.

Slight edge to Megadeth, and Perfect Strangers is the best album of this round.

Those two songs are easier to sit through than The Man Who Would Be King.
All three of those songs are good. Quest For Fire is particularly fun to listen to.
Opinions... I think they're two cases of absolute Maiden at its lackluster level. TMWWBK is perhaps the least appealing song from TFF and yet I think it's an ok song and way superior than those two. Of course Quest For Fire and Gangland are far from being absolute garbage. When it comes to that level Fear Of The Dark and Virtual XI fill almost every slot IMO.

TMWWBK is written poorly. The intro makes no sense with what comes after. The melodies are poor, the verse guitar is boring. It’s certainly not terrible compared to the likes of The Apparition or TAATG, but it’s quite weak.

I can dig a few songs by Machine Head, but they're not likely to become one my favorite bands anytime soon. That said, they have the potential to grow on me a bit and I'm still more likely to come back to them than King Diamond.

Definitely going with Megadeth. Dystopia is a very welcome return to form and their best album since The System Has Failed.

I'm gonna give a full and thorough listen to DPP to see how things shake out. TFF is one of the few Maiden albums that won't get the benefit of winning by default for me.
I've actually decided to go with Nightwish. This was a very strong album, and while I still can't say for certain that it's better than TFF, it was close enough that I feel comfortable voting for them, knowing full well that Maiden will win anyways.

Buckethead gets the vote in the last match. I've actually really enjoyed what I've heard from him so far in this game.

Liked Machine Head, but I felt I should like it more than I did. Not keen on this King Diamond album. Machine Head

Enemy of God was much more exciting than Dystopia.

The last two were the toughest: I loved the Nightwish opener, and the following songs were very good as well, but the second half of TFF... In the end I decided on TFF because Nightwish were very explosive which I didn't like that much (read: Maiden bias)

And again, a shame that this Buckethead album goes against such a big name. I picked Deep Purple, but trust me I would NOT be mad if it lost here <_<

Amorphis_Under_The_Red_Cloud.jpg

Amorphis - Under the Red Cloud (2015)

How it got here

List entries: n/a
Maidenfans Nominators: @Night Prowler
League 10 - Match 17vs.
In-Flames_Whoracle.jpg

In Flames - Whoracle (1997)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Black Wizard
Previous Rounds:
League 13: Defeated Gamma Ray - Sigh No More 12-10.
League 12: Defeated Bloodbath - Resurrection Through Carnage 14-10.
League 11: Defeated Ghost - Opus Eponymous 14-8.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Runaljod_-_Ragnarok.jpg

Wardruna - Runaljod - Ragnarok (2016)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Spambot
League 10 - Match 18vs.
TalesFromTheThousandLakes.jpg

Amorphis - Tales From the Thousand Lakes (1994)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Forostar
Previous Rounds:
League 14: Defeated Rhapsody - Symphony of Enchanted Lands 13-5.
League 13: Defeated Negura Bunget - OM 16-6.
League 12: Defeated Blind Guardian - A Night at the Opera 14-10.
League 11: Defeated Devin Townsend - Terria 15-7.

Nightwish_Century_Child.jpg

Nightwish - Century Child (2002)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @MrKnickerbocker
League 10 - Match 19vs.
Opeth_-_Watershed.jpg

Opeth - Watershed (2008)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @The Flash
Previous Rounds:
League 12: Defeated Black Sabbath - Tyr 14-9.
League 11: Defeated The Who - Who’s Next 14-8.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kiss_first_album_cover.jpg

KISS - KISS (1974)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Kalata
League 10 - Match 20vs.
Gutterballlet.jpg

Savatage - Gutter Ballet (1989)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 33
League 15: Defeated Buckethead - Pepper’s Ghost 9-8.
League 14: Defeated Omnium Gatherum - New World Shadows 13-5.
League 13: Defeated Alter Bridge - Walk the Sky 15-9.
League 12: Defeated Toxic Holocaust - Chemistry of Consciousness 18-5.
League 11: Defeated Sons of Apollo - Psychotic Symphony 12-10.

Century Child is great. It’s probably Nightwish’s moodiest album and has a running concept about loss of innocence. It’s another contender for my favorite of their albums after Once and is very consistent throughout. Also the first CD of theirs that I bought. Phantom Of The Opera is a great introduction to them, and if you’re interested in more, check out Ever Dream, Bless The Child, and Ocean Soul. Also Beauty Of The Beast is a highly underrated epic and stands alongside Poet, Greatest Show, and Ghost Love Score for me.

Century Child is great. It’s probably Nightwish’s moodiest album and has a running concept about loss of innocence. It’s another contender for my favorite of their albums after Once and is very consistent throughout. Also the first CD of theirs that I bought. Phantom Of The Opera is a great introduction to them, and if you’re interested in more, check out Ever Dream, Bless The Child, and Ocean Soul. Also Beauty Of The Beast is a highly underrated epic and stands alongside Poet, Greatest Show, and Ghost Love Score for me.

''End Of All Hope'' is also a fantastic song.

It is, but it’s probably my least favorite on the album. That’s just because it’s a very strong album. (The song itself is kind of a remake of Wishmaster, but much better. Jukka’s drumming on it is really cool.)

Under the Red Cloud is a fantastic album, one of Amorphis' best. I'll listen to all the other entries but I'm pretty sure I'll be voting for both Amorphis albums.

King Diamond cuts down Machine Head, who are eliminated. They'll face Testament next.
Megadave defeats Kreator in a battle of songs named Dystopia. Kreator is back in League 2.
Iron Maiden firmly beats Nightwish. The Finns are back now!
Deep Purple beats Buckethead fairly easily. The man with the KFC helmet is still alive in the Match 4 stream.

CLICK HERE FOR THE LEAGUE 9 SPOTIFY PLAYLIST!
CLICK HERE FOR THE LEAGUE 9 YOUTUBE PLAYLIST!
Anthrax - Sound Of White Noise, Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal, Devin Townsend - Ziltoid, Discharge - Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing, Fight - War Of Words, Overkill - Feel The Fire, Ozzy - The Ultimate Sin, Tiamat - Clouds, Rosetta - Wake Lift and Primordial - To The Nameless Fallen?

This league is absurdly loaded!

Anthrax - Sound Of White Noise, Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal, Devin Townsend - Ziltoid, Discharge - Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing, Fight - War Of Words, Overkill - Feel The Fire, Ozzy - The Ultimate Sin, Tiamat - Clouds, Rosetta - Wake Lift and Primordial - To The Nameless Fallen?

This league is absurdly loaded!
I agree, but not because of those albums. :p

Back